CoolSculpting on Abdomen Only - Westborough, MA

I had the procedure done 5 days ago on my...

I had the procedure done 5 days ago on my abdominal area. I am 5' and weigh about 125 pounds. I am near my ideal weight, but have always had excess fat on my abdomen no matter how much weight I lost. I am your standard apple shape, so thought CoolSculpting would help get rid at least some excess fat. The area around my belly button measures 32.5".

I had the large applicator placed across my belly area. It barely fit, but the technician was able to make it worth. Had it not worked, I would've had to have 2 small applicators done at twice the price for twice as long. Needless to say, I'm glad we made it work!

The process itself was uncomfortable. The pre-application gel is really cold and the initial suction does hurt. It does get better after 10-15 minutes, but it's hardly relaxing. I don't know if the sizing and the fact that *all* of my fat had to be sucked was part of my discomfort (vs having more fat overall and less of it being sucked in...). The last 10 minutes of procedure I was counting down the seconds. I couldn't move at all either to prevent knocking the machine off and the half laying back position was starting to feel achy.

I made it through the 1 hour though. The machine was taken off and the area looked red but not bruised. The technician quickly rubbed the area down. Others describe this as a massage, but for me it felt like the rubbed it for about a 1 minute, maybe less. It may have been more than a rub, but since the area was numb I didn't feel as much pressure. I was glad though it didn't last long because that part does hurt. The sensation was like an intense burn/sting. I did spend about 5 minutes post procedure getting used to the weird sensations before I left the clinic.

Other review mention that the massage is essential to break up of fat, but is that proven or just anecdotal?

On day 1 I felt numb, and cold to the touch. I wasn't in pain, but it definitely felt weird. I went to the gym on Day 2 (elliptical only) and felt no discomfort.

These past few days I've felt tingling, some burning and soreness. I've also had some swelling but not excessive so that I cannot wear my regular clothes. It's uncomfortable but not painful enough that I feel the need to medicate. The soreness feel as if it's a muscle soreness but I feel nothing when I move, though I feel the need to move cautiously.

I've read that the intense pain that others have experienced starts around day 5. I'm hoping that because I've felt relatively little so far, I'll be lucky enough to not be in excruciating pain in the next few days. Just in case, I've bought a compression garment and some pain cream. I did buy a muscle cream with menthol (the icy creams vs the icy/hot creams) and I put a little to test. I do not recommend this! it doesn't do much to alleviate discomfort. I thought that adding a cooling effect would feel nice, this doesn't haha.

I hope to update in the next few days and clear the ten day mark with no pain. We'll see.

Day 6

I woke up last night with pain but took some aleve and was able to go back to sleep. Day 6 has been really uncomfortable. Shooting pains across the lower part of my belly and a stinging/burning sensation. I also continue to feel bloated.

It feels better if I do light activity. Staying still and laying down make it feel worse. I did one hour on the elliptical and it actually alleviated the pain for that hour. I'm wearing a compression garment right now and it's providing a little relief but not much.

I'm waiting until closer to bed time to take any more pain medication.

I hope it doesn't get worse in the coming days! It's not ideal at the moment but tolerable.

Day 7 - It burns!

I hardly slept last night because of the pain. It's not enough to have me crying, but uncomfortable enough that I'm miserable. Icing the area, per many other reviewers' suggestion, only helps a little bit. It seems to tamper the stinging sensations but after a bit it makes the burning sensations worse. I can't tell if the lidocaine cream is helping but the compression garment is making a difference. I was able to sleep a little more with it, but its a bit too tight to sleep in comfortably. The pain killers right before bed didn't do as much as I needed them to do. I woke up at 2am, again at 4am, and was in and out for the next three hours after that.

I am now at work trying to ignore the deep belly burning sensations. I feel like I'm jinxing myself by talking about the pain ... I don't think I could do 2 weeks of this.

The pain is really much worse at night/laying down than during the day.

Day 11

I'm feeling much better. The pain is reduced to something more like a sunburn and skin tenderness. There are some tinges of stinging but barely any. Funnily enough, clothes (both pants and shirts) are more uncomfortable at this stage than they were at the height of the pain.

Day 6 to 10 were the worst. I'm glad to be back to mostly normal.

Worth it

I'm over 9 months out from the procedure and have to say it was worth it. I notice an improvement in my body shape. This despite not sticking to my plan of "really doing the diet and exercise plan. Really really this time." I weigh about the same, but my stomach area looks much nicer. The pain was excruciating for a few days but would have been tolerable had I started pain prevention at an earlier point. I'm not sure if I would get a second treatment, but don't regret getting the first at all.
The Aesthetic Wellness Center

I never met with Dr. Ahn. I was seen and helped by the clinic's staff. The three staff I dealt with directly were nothing short of professional (front desk, staff who did the procedure, and check-out). Communication was always quick and friendly. I came in for my appointment and was seen really quickly. The process wasn't necessarily rushed but it did seem rather quick, especially since this was my first time visiting the clinic. I came in with a few questions, which were thoroughly answered but I was surprised to have received little information otherwise. The massage part was quick, but I don't know if this is typical. I haven't had any follow-up care as of yet, hence the 3 stars. I am supposed to get a call at some point though and I believe a follow-up. I would highly recommend this clinic based on treatment, space, staff, and cost. Results are TBD.

I found icing didn't help me anyways. There does seem to be some back and forth on these forums about the impact of using ice... What I'm feeling is a burning sensation and it looks like the ice helps more for stinging. I spoke to my clinic. I didn't get neurontin, but got a prescription pain killer (acetaminophen) which I'm using before bed. I can tolerate the discomfort for the most part during the day (with help from lidocaine cream) but I needed something for sleeping. I was hoping I'd be pain free by the 10 day mark (tomorrow) but it looks like I'm going to be suffering well past that point. Sigh. The big applicator on the abdomen sucks.
It is a nerve-based pain, which is why the nerve-blocker, Neurontin, works well for this. I hope you're feeling better (& thinner) soon!
I have mentioned this countless times before--freezing the cells is what caused the pain in the 1st place. Although temporary, ice is making the cells freeze even more--you must let your body defrost...
I respectfully disagree. When you coolsculpt, the freezing is much deeper and colder that your standard ice pack. Plus when you ice, you have a layer of clothing between you and ice pack. It's numbing the nerves. Now I would agree that it does interfer with the inflamation which from what i read is part of the process to remove the fat cells, but then why are doctors recommending Aleve/Advil? I'm curious, did your tech tell you this? Mine said ice was ok.
No, they did not tell me to use ice, they told me to take Neurontin. I also see many glas here having good success with the natural anti-inflammatory, Arnica in pill & topical gel forms.
I haven't read about the arnica, but have found that topical lidocaine is helping with the burning sensations I'm feeling (very much like a sunburn).
I hope you're feeling better (& thinner) soon!
In addition to Neurontin, many folks have had success with Arnica pills & cream.
I warned you! Get a script for Neurontin.
You might want to have a script for Neurontin (nerve-blocker) filled & on hand. I was told to take it before the pain got bad. It never did for me & I only took one but I was glad I had it--just in case.
hmmm. the clinic kept reassuring me that pain was unlikely and i didn't specifically ask for any prescription medication. I'm hoping I can wait out any of the pain...
They gave it to me "just in case". Just 10 pills. The generic was cheap. After reading all that has been posted here, I was glad to have it, even if I didn't need it. I'd hate to go thru what I see a lot of other gals have.
Ice, ice, ice...really helps. I bought a bunch of those instant ice packs and a neoprene sleeve. Wear over the belly and it really numbs things up.