Muffin Top Flattened! - Washington, DC

Note: Writing this post experience, and it...

Note: Writing this post experience, and it accounts for 2 visits, first cost $1200, second for a smaller targeted area in my lower abdomen cost $650

Aug 2012

I hit the 50 and went in for a consultation about a number of areas I was dis-satisfied with on my body. Although everyone tells me I look at least 10-15 years younger, as I have few wrinkles on my face, I figure I better start doing extra care as I age and while the face may not be too bad the rest of the body is starting to sag. Anyway, most concerning was my muffin top, which was right above and below my belly button, that appeared in my mid 40s, and which I assumed heralded perimenopause. I exercise regularly, have done personal trainers, eat healthy and even done cleansing, and the muffin top kept me company. While it sometimes seemed reduced if I lost weight, it still protruded.

The doc I saw recommended coolsculpting instead of liposonix for me. She felt I would get equal results with either approach given how little fat I needed to lose (an inch max) and how small an area would be targeted, but the coolsculpting would not require pain meds. If I did the coolsculpting it could be done right then, if I chose the liposonix I needed to return for another visit as it had to be scheduled in with the pain meds routine. Coolsculpting was also more economical than Liposonix, as it would be $1200 vs $2500. I took the leap of faith on the basis of the doc's rep (she participated in clinical trials for Zeltique), her bedside manner that was non-rushing and not trying to sell me any approach or sell me other procedures, and I figured I would just do it.

I will not lie. the procedure did have pain, before and after. The cold gel material they placed on the targeted area was super cold at first sensation, but this quickly went away. The suction apparatus they used to suck the targeted area up for treatment caused discomfort and pain during the sucking phase, and this lingered until the freezing portion started. Note all the pain was tolerable but it still hurt. Then I hung out for an hour and read until the procedure was over. Once done the suction handles were released and my nurse massaged my abdomen, which felt weird and a little painful, but mostly just weird. That was it. I was able to walk out, get in my car and drive home.

After effects were not as short or sweet. I had tingles, sharp pains here and there, was swollen and generally just tender. No bruising though, just a little redness that went away after 3 days. The tingles, pain and discomfort lasted for about 2 weeks. They did not keep me from doing anything--although I will admit I used the excuse to slack off my exercise--and regular doses of Advil were enough to take my mind off the pain, although it sometimes caused me to wake at night if I turned and got an ouch. The swelling took about 10 days to go down. After two weeks I was completely back to normal in terms of no pain etc and my watching for changes began in earnest.

Nov 2012
My muffin top above my belly button is gone. There is a definite noticeable improvement. I also had a reduction on the area below my belly button, but not as much as the area above. I went back in to see my doc for my 12 weeks check in, and she agreed with my assessment. She recommended another treatment, this time with one small handle just for this area. The cost would be $650. Given the success I had already had, I elected to do this. A little more pain and discomfort in terms of the sucking up portion than I remembered from my first go around, but after effects were minimal and it is now a week later and no lingering tingles or pain. I am already seeing a visible difference (although at a week it may just be less swelling and bloating). Will update again at the end of Jan or early Feb.

Overall, at this point I am pleased with my results. The experience went mostly as expected and I think I (and my doc) made sure I had realistic expectations of what could or could not happen. Would I pay to have this done again? Absolutely yes. I have an almost concave belly area, definitely more flat, like I did in my 20s and 30s. I feel like I can wear a bikini again and not always worry about having to suck it in :-)

As a result of this experience I am now thinking of having my thighs done to streamline just a tad my inner thighs and maybe tighten the skin a bit. For this my doc is definitely recommending liposonix. I have some, but not a lot of cellulite on my front thighs, and she thinks with the liposonix I will get some fat reduction and skin tightening. If I decide to do this I will also write about my experience.

Did research on the internet. Was already contemplating CoolSculpting and she was one of the docs who did clinical trials on the procedure.

Hi, I am glad to hear of your good experience with this procedure. I live in Maryland and I have been looking for a good recommendation in this area. All other comments seems to come from out of state. I was already planning on flying to Florida before seeing your posting. Can you let me know the name and place where you got the procedure done? Thanks
Hi there. I went to the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery and saw Dr. Tanzi. She was great, took time to talk with me, and the nurse assistants/esthicians were great. I have been back since for other procedures and am very pleased. She doesn't overdo the improvements or try to sell you procedures, she is honest about what might work, and she doesn't push for an immediate decision. Good luck and hope it works for you!

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Detailed reviews like yours are really helpful to the community!

How are your results doing now it's been another couple of weeks? I hope you're well and feeling good from your procedure!