painful - Waltham, MA

I have never had so much discomfort in my neck...

I have never had so much discomfort in my neck area as I have now. It's been two years and I feel like someone has their hands around my neck and chocking me at all times.

VANITY is not worth it. People have died from this procedure. I wish I would have reviewed my facts more carefully before doing something so stupid.

.It's nothing but a meat market. The pain is excruciating. I don't look any better today than when the procedure was done. I cannot feel my neck it's so numb. The stitches from my ear are still visible. And I feel like I have a rope around my neck.

All doctors are aware of the dangers of administering anesthesia to a patient. When I had my breast off at B&W in Boston, I was given a self-administering IV with Morphine drip after surgery. Within 20 minutes I began having severe symptoms. It took a nurse another 20 minutes to come despite my constant pressing on the button. She took one look and knew. Suddenly there were 2 more nurses and a doctor. I had uncontrollable vomiting, racing blood, severe abdominal pain, etc. I was given two shots to counteract the Morphine. When finished, I was completely exhausted from the ordeal. It is more common than people are aware and is, despite improvements over the past few decades, listed as a cause of concern even in hospitals. And, the problem with ambulatory settings is the inability to monitor and/or record accurate data/reports. A professional anesthesiolgist should have been present. No ifs, ands or buts. I lost a HS friend at 40 for a simple stent procedure due to the anesthesia given him. If given a choice, I would rather have a competent doctor over a nice one any day. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697561/
There are a lot of sad & scary stories to be sure. A phrase I use often in a variety of peoples circumstances is "There but for the grace of God go I". Many many years ago I heard a neighbor say it and since then I have also.
The choice between a competent doctor and a nice one is easy.
I was fortunate. I was confident that I had both when I chose Dr. Alex for my surgery.
I would like to put in my 2 cents on Dr Alex. I researched extensively before choosing Dr Alex and found him to be highly reputable. I am deeply sorry for Impacted's results. I was fortunate to have gotten very good results. Surgeries are not without risk and we can't predict how our bodies will react to surgical trauma from cosmetic procedures. Please ladies, do not ever make a decision such as this, quickly. Even though I had complete confidence in Dr Alex, I stressed over whether my results would be as I had hoped, not to mention a terrible mistake. Rest in Peace Dr Alex. I am grateful for the life changing results I am able to enjoy.
A mother died on his table, standard of care issues.
I was shocked & saddened to hear that Dr. James C. Alex died in an accident last month. I do not know anything else about his death except for what I read here.
I know Sabego has had a really bad time of it with her Lifestyle Lift, and appreciate her heart expressing her condolences for the doctor's passing.
Last August, 2011 I went to LSL in Burlington for a free consultation. I brought a very dear friend whom I trust to be honest, and to help me listen. I did a LOT of research on different doctors & even paid a $150.00 fee for a consultation with a doctor. (One of the conclusions I came to is that other doctors will only do the procedure in a hospital (added costs) and will have an anesthetist available if needed. While it is good & comforting to have a hospital available in case of an emergency, LSL in Burlington is just across the street from Lahey Clinic.
It was not until the end of January, 2012 that I had my procedure done-just the cheek & neck area. No money is paid until you see the doctor ($500.00), and then you have 3 days to rescind the contract. After going through a lot of research (& prayer), and consulting with another doctor whom we had to pay, my husband & I agreed to choose Dr. Alex and very happy we did. Where Sebago gives a one star rating, I would have to give four to five stars. Everyone with whom I came in contact in Burlington was very
professional, warm and caring. The next day after the procedure the patient goes to LSL to have the bandages changed. I was told not to hesitate to call or email with any problem or questions. Couple of months later had my two month checkup and to have stitches removed. The clinical technician does that & she was wonderful.
From what I understand, it is not usual that LSL allows any time for the doctor to see their patient at "checkup" time. My technician honored my request to See Dr. Alex & said that she would see if he was available. I was very happy to show him what a great job he did. He was just so warm & humble & joked with my husband.
I am sorry that no one else will be able to enjoy the expertise of Dr. James C. Alex.

I really wish someone knew how he died?
In spite of everything, I am sorry for his passing.
As am I.
I am sorry for his passing. When I tried to research COD, I was sent to this site:
boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/03/04/suit_ties_death_of_woman_to_face_lift/?page=2
Very interesting and adds to the question of his COD.
Please tell me what is COD. Are you saying that the article is tying the death of the woman to the face lift performed by Dr. Alex at LSL?? If so, is the article proven to be true?
anyone know what COD is? Just read (for the most part as it's so repetitious). actually want my husband to read it, but my first thought is, this is one sided.
Worked in law enforcement....COD = cause of death.
Yes my apologies for not being clearer. I briefly reviewed this thread and thought he was the doctor/practice being discussed. However, does anyone “definitely” understand how he died? The only answer I can find is an accidently.
Do you ladies realize hes dead?

To Impacted: who are you talking about? who is dead?

I think she is referring to Dr. Alex. He died last month: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonherald/obituary.aspx?n=james-alex&pid=157887419

You can go to this site and rate him: vitals.com/doctors/Dr_James_Alex Not every outcome is the same and that is why the more reports, the better idea the next person has of knowing what to expect with that doctor. I am going for reconstruction from Breast Cancer of 12 yrs ago. Lost the left one and now having a tummy tuck as well due to 2 babies over 10 lbs. I have met with a plastic surgeon, Dax Guenther at Dana Farber and am writing more questions before making a definite decision. I am so sorry Sue for your hellish experience and I hope it improves in time or you find a great plastic surgeon to correct Dr. Alex's blunder.
Thank you so much. I wish I had done more homework on this procedure. Right now, I can't afford a great plastic surgeon. (Money is a little tight).
But I will definately go on vitals.com. Thank you again, I hope all goes well with you. Take care

Sue
It would be useful to post the name of your doctor, so folks in our area can be forewarned.
I don't remember the name of the doctor, but they are all butchers.

You really need to see a CERTIFIED
PLASTIC SURGEOn -- not the rent
a surgeons they hire.
To Sabego - it was requested that you give the doctor's name & you "don't remember the name of the doctor"???? WOW! Did your memory change after the procedure?? Do you not have any paper work for the transaction?? A check or a credit card charge??
If this story is true, then maybe you could be helpful to others and get the name of the doctor.
You know what lady. Good luck to you. Hope you get the same butcher I did. Hope your memory stays wonderful forever. No, it was paid cash. By the way, did your manners change before your surgery or have you always been so kind. Good luck with your surgery.
I really do apologize for offending you - I've heard that there are people out there who are not honest in their reporting. Of course the person who told me that just might not be honest; I am trying to get honest information.
I'm sorry to have questioned your authenticity - I guess that, personally I would NEVER forget the name of the doctor that you refer to as a "butcher";I'd make sure that the world knew who he is. I am very sorry that after two years you still feel as you do. I ask this in sincerity, did you go back to
them for any kind of retribution - to get your money back, or to have another doctor. I don't know anything about the Waltham office - they are now in Burlington from what I hear. There is a doctor there Dr. James C. Alex, don't know if he was in Waltham?
I have read so many comments on RealSelf where the person does not remember the name of the doctor they say did a terrible job, so could not supply any information that was helpful to anyone- probably took my frustration out on you. I am sorry you got the brunt of it.
Dear Me

Yes, the Doctor's name is Dr. Alex and he was in Waltham. I told Him that I would sue this office.
He agreeed with me that my neck wasn't right. They did pay me the full amount I paid. I am sorry that I did not go and sue them fully -- Little late -- a little hindsight. Thank you for your apology.
Sue
the names and qualifications of the Burlington surgeons, as well as their education, qualifications and board certifications are all on the Lifestyle Lift site. All one needs to do is search the surgeons names and check with the boards, as well as going for a free consultation. I have had plastic surgery over the years, including for breast cancer, and doing the research is simple, as advised above. Do your homework and make your own educated assessment. There's a lot of bull out there, just read the negative comments from certified plastic surgeons here and elsewhere online . . . they are angry as this business is cutting into their business . . . this procedure is less expensive than their fees; they can do this as they do so many and have a streamlined process. . . of course it's a business, but to me that benefits us, the consumer. Look at the statistics as well . . . good luck. I am an educated consumer and can't wait to get my Lifestyle Lift ( and no, I don't work for them and am not getting paid by them . . . :)