Had Sclerotherapy Done for my Bad Varicose Veins! -Walnut Creek, CA

Ever since losing weight & working out more,...

Ever since losing weight & working out more, the varicose veins on my left calf/knee have become more prominent and painful. I finally decided to pay the money & get serious treatment for them (compression socks alone helped with the pain, but not with how they looked). I just had it done this morning & while it hurt a bit while she did it (especially when she was injecting near/on the bone) I feel fine now & am moving around with no problems! I can take the bandages & compression socks off on Wednesday night.. I'll update with pictures then.

Day 2 - thought I would wake up with some pain...

Day 2 - thought I would wake up with some pain from not moving my legs much throughout the night & thankfully I was fine! Not being able to shower was the roughest part. Needless to say, I will be VERY thankful come Wednesday night when I can take the compression thigh-highs & bandages off!!!

Took the bandages & compression socks last night &...

Took the bandages & compression socks last night & WOW!!!!! Most of the bruising is on my right leg (behind the knee - where it hurt the most!).. the veins on the left calf/knee are almost totally gone! She had warned that the veins might be hard & if they don't go down on their own, she will take care of it at our follow up in 4 weeks. I am so excited to be able to rock some shorts this summer without being self conscious of these gnarly veins. I've been working my a$$ off to get my body in shape & then to have to keep my legs covered up because of veins was a huge bummer. Very much worth the money & having to wear these compression socks for a month!!!

Looking and feeling MUCH better!!

As the photos show, there's still some bruising, but it is MUCH better than before!! I am very, VERY happy with my results. My husband is next up to get his done!
Kaiser

Hi there. I'm surprised that Kaiser did Sclerotherapy on your varicose veins. I had a varicose vein on my right calf that protruded a bit and the doctor recommended the VNus Closure. Then I came back for the spider veins ($840) and had them taken care of by Sclerotherapy. I'm curious if they ever mentioned the VNus Closure procedure to you? Unless your vein wasn't so bad, but usually for varicose veins, they do more of a heavy duty type treatment on them.
I want to get this done but what is the acutual cost out of pocket.
Hi Natalie, I went thru Kaiser & it wasn't covered at all with insurance, so I had to pay $600. If you only need the 15 minute treatment, it's $300. But in July they have a discounted price :)
Does anyone here knows a good doctor at kaiser vallejo ca.?
I have the small spider veins on my legs and unfortunately I have to have several treatments. Not very painful and definitely worth it. Congrats on your weightless and not to sound weird, ut your painted toes looked cute! I just had sclero done today and I made sure my toenails were painted in hopes my feet wouldn't be too gnarly!
Sorry about the typos - I think this iPad auto corrects or something
Thank you!!! It wasn't too painful & so very worth the cost!!!
So michi how much it cost you after all the sessions or treatment u had??
So hows did it turn out michi? Where you satisfied with the outcome?? And how much did it cost you ?
For me, sclerotherapy is kind of a maintenance issue. I have had the deeper veins treated through ablation and the treatment was successful as the ultrasound demonstrates. Unfortunately, my body likes to make spider veins. I go every 3 months and it costs 300 per session. My legs look relatively good and pretty good with some sunless tanner since I have very fair skin. It's worth it. My self esteem was much lower when I was always worried about hiding my legs and their road map of veins.
I have spent thousands literally on my legs. Insurance covered the ablutions, but I have had multiple, multiple sclero sessions at 250-300 a session.
Thanks for the info michi .do u have before and after oictures?
No, I don't have before and afters, but I can say my legs were absolutely covered with spider veins before treatment. I still have some, but my legs are so much clearer, not perfect, but most would not think twice about the condition of my legs now. I was so worried about them in the past that I was sure people were staring at my ugly legs if they were standing behind me in lines. Now, I really feel fine with my imperfect but so much better leg appearance.

Who was your Dr. by the way??? I have Kaiser also. Do they cover this procedure. It seems like they cover so little these days.

My doctor was Dr. Frietas (sp??). They do NOT cover the procedure, BUT, they're doing it at a discounted price in July - my husband is getting his taken care of as well!
@LN812 How many treatment sessions did you receive?
I had the initial treatment done on both legs, then came back 4 weeks later for a checkup & she just drained the blood from the bigger veins. And I'm all done!! There's still a little bruising on the bigger veins, but not nearly what it was a few weeks ago.

Thank you for sharing your story and great photos. Wow, I admire all the work you're doing for yourself...your weightloss, exercise, BA and now taking care of some uncomfortable veins. Good for you! Regarding your veins, I was curious as to what type of discomfort you experienced? Was it just during long periods of standing, did your legs ache at the end of the day, or did the vein feel like a bruise? Looking forward to more updates and photos!

Thank you! The discomfort would come after working out (high intensity aerobic type workouts and running) and I would sometimes bruise in the area of the veins. It was an ache in my calf.. I sit almost all day long (which probably doesn't help), so I would really notice it after workouts.

I see you got both legs done at the same time. My doctor would only do one at a time, I am so uncomfortable with the thigh highs and have to wear them 3 days for 24 hrs then 2 weeks all day only remove to shower and sleep!

Hope your bruising has subsided and you're back in action!  Hoping you can show off your legs by mid summer!  Take care and congrads!