Scheduled Rhinoplasty in August 2013 - Anxious!! - Virginia Beach, VA

Hello everyone, I just wanna start by saying...

Hello everyone,

I just wanna start by saying I LOVE THIS SITE. I love how people are able to be upfront and personal about their concerns and insecurities. There are MANY brave people here and I respect that a lot. Even though I want to remain discreet here, I feel completely comfortable. I have attached some blurred pictures for viewing.

So this coming August, I am scheduled to have rhinoplasty. Some of my concerns include wide nostrils and the lack of overall definition in my African American nose. Sometimes when I look at it, it's just sitting there, looking like nothing. My nose as a major lack of definition on one side so it overall looks uneven. Also when I smile, it looks even bigger and it kinda droops down a tad. I have always been very self conscious about my nose. I am a Virgo, sometimes known as a perfectionist, so I look at the overall symmetry of my nose and I am not satisfied. If I could correct it myself I would!

My goal is to tackle all cosmetic procedures before I turn 30 years old. I don't expect a lot of change to myself but rhinoplasty definitely is the first to come. I currently feel that I have chosen a great doctor. His name is Dr. Choe in VA Beach. He is of Asian ethnicity and can directly related to ethnic noses and skin. I had two consultations with him. After our second meet, I felt that Dr. Choe grasped the overall look that I am going for. Because the changes that I expect are very small, I think it will be easy to achieve my desired results. I have another meeting with Dr. Choe before my surgery. I plan on discussing some final concerns during that time.

Until then, I would like to hear from some members of the REALself community. Please invoice your questions and concerns. Thank you!

2 weeks

I'm just about 2 weeks pre-op! I had a pre-op appointment with Dr. Choe and it was such a reliever. I have been a bit worried over the last few months. My worries have not been from the thought of a bad surgery but more of not having my vision come true. However, Dr. Choe assure me that the changes will be just enough to give me the look I'm going for. What I like about Dr. Choe is that he encourages very natural changes and preserving ethnic features of the nose. I adore that and it makes me feel safe. Its like a guarantee that my results will look natural and not like a "nose job". I received all of my pre op guideline paperwork, prescription tickets and such. I'm excited everyone.

2 Days

So today has been a lot mixed feeling. Not so much as "cold feet" but feelings of the nose possibility not being "good enough" when its all done. I'm a perfectionist (virgo) and Im an artist. So in my mind, I see envision changes to be very unique for me. I don't want to be one of those people who end up getting a second rhinoplasty because my first one was not good enough. I want to get it right the first time. I also feel that I have not opened up to my surgeon as I should have. Maybe if I gave him an insight of what my life is like, he would have a better understanding of why my results must be more than a minor change. He doesn't know that I am an artist (makeup) and that I admire people who are androgynous. Typically a surgeon does what fits in the gender role, e.g "making the nose look more masculine". I am a very open minded individual and just want what looks good, even if its a bit androgynous.

Anyway, here is a picture of myself and a before and after of a lady who received rhinoplasty earlier this year per Dr. Choe. I LOVE her results, actually I ADORE the results. I am sure that I want my results to be VERY similar to hers. So, I will be talking to Dr. Choe tomorrow about what I have been going through and hopefully he can assure me that my vision come true. I will be posting another update tomorrow. Please leave comments. They are greatly appreciated!

the day of

Surgery went well today. I got there promptly, vitals taken, had another talk with Dr Choe to calm my nerves. It worked! Once I made it yo the operation room, they gave me the anesthesia and I was out. I don't remember much. I just remember being helped into a wheel chair and asking if I pissed my pants. I sure did during the operation. What a bummer. I made it home okay with the help of my mother. Pain meds work okay. I may have to double up the dosage tomorrow. I woke up for about 4 hours later in a good amount of pain. Couldn't go back to sleep. Ended up in bed around 11pm. Will update later today.

packing removed

So today I had the packing removed from my nostrils. What a relief! I can breath now and my nose is not ad sore as before. I was able to see my nose once the packing was removed and it looked very interesting. I noticed that he turned my nose up a bit. That always scares me because I see so many other results like look kinda 'piggy' when the nose is turned up. However, mind is not bad at all. As it heals I'm sure it will become even less prominent. No more droopy tip. I have some aching in my teeth...both top and bottom row. Also some swelling between the eyes. I'm still very curious about what the bridge looks like. He told me that he sculpted the bridge very nicely. My stitches come out Friday and my splints come out Tuesday.

old pics

so ready

Today I woke up and moisturized the inside of my nose with the saline spray. I will be doing this all day since the splints/cast are removed on tomorrow. Hopefully they will slide out with no pain. Right now they fee like they have attached themselves to my insides! Lol...I need relief from them! I slept good last night. When I woke up I was actually laying on my side which is contrary to what the doctor ordered. However my body was fully aware and I didn't have any issues rolling onto my nose during sleep.

My tip is still very swollen and hard...the bridge is sore also, hence the cartilage implant. I have read that its normal for a while especially for thick (ethnic) skin. Gosh, I am just very curious of how it looks with the cast off. I return to work in 4 days!

Pictures March 19th

Here are some after pictures.

Good News: I LOVE what the surgeon has done with my nose! The bridge is more defined, the tip looks nice and refined from all angles, the nostrils are smaller but not too small, so my nose still looks ethnic.

NOT SO BAD NEWS: Looks like I might have to have a revision. I have a couple of small concerns which will probably require some very small adjustments. Also, we found that my nasal bone on the right side "jets out" a bit, more than on the left side. This has caused my nose to look puffy on that one side. I thought it was swelling before but its the bone itself. Based on my last meeting with him, it looks like he will have to break my nose to make both side even. My next meeting will be in April!

I will be posting an update as soon as I find out my next surgery date.
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your nose looks good.
Can you post after pics?
Also- did the doctor tell you up front he was going to use cartilage for your bridge? Or is he 'seeing what works best' and then he told you what he put in there? I'm so excited for you tomorrow!! Thanks for answering my questions! Xoxo
He told me up front that there are two options. Gore Tex...which is very thin and can be stacked to achieve desired thickness, or donated cartilage which is thicker and shows better under ethnic skin. I went with cartilage. I'm excited too! I need to be sleep lol
How do you think you're gong to 'deal' with the people that day stupid things like 'do you want a Michael Jackson nose???!!!!' Clearly- we don't want that- and I have only told 5 people I want surgery: parents, sister, 'close friend'-lives near me and will most likely see me, and one other friend. Only my close friend has been absolutely negative about the whole thing to the point where I regret even saying anything to her (I could have just done it and avoided her) now what??
My family knows about the surgery. My close friends also too. I don't have any worries about jokes....we can't let stuff like that get to us. I normally don't have issues with respect from my friends. My brothers are another story, but I expect that from them because we have always picked with each other. My best friend thought my surgery was a good idea only if was complete sure and had good reasoning. As far as your friend goes, she is probably thinking of it at surface value. Maybe you should have an in depth conversation with her about the topic so that she can see that this really is something serious for you. I think once she understands that you really aren't happy, she will support your decision.
I had a droopy tip too man. Doesn't it feel so good to get rid of! Good luck tomorrow. I hope you're happy with everything/
Just read ur interesting story. I hope u like ur results. Will be checking ur post photos. Thanks.
How's your day going ?
My day is good. I went out to the grocery store today. Grabbed some veggies and some fish. I cooked when I got home and enjoyed dinner. Water and an apple is what I had for dessert lol. I have not been in a lot of pain today. Still a lot of swelling. I took my prescribed meds and my bromelain and arnica supplements. Im all good. How are you?
As much as you can rest up and heal .
How many days are you post op now ?
I'm current 5 days post op. Cast comes off in two days
OMG thats awesome!! When does your cast come off?? I want to see because it looks like Dr. Choe might be the one for me. Richmond, VA
It comes off this Tuesday. I will upload a picture
Congrats on a successful surgery thus far!
Thank you soooo much!
I completely understand how you feel..not wanting to have to go through it again if it's not fixed correctly the first time. That's a huge fear of mine too these days. Also, I enjoy androgyny. It's beautiful. I wish you all the best in your procedure and hope you get what you're looking for. The most common thing I hear from people on RealSelf who have undergone rhinoplasty is that their nose isn't perfect, but it's much better than their original. Good luck with your procedure. P.S.- I have a male friend who underwent Rhinoplasty...so guys do it more often than we know ahhaah
Yes and I think that my choice with Dr. Choe has allowed embrace androgyny and have it still look very natural. Will upload pictures as swelling goes down. Thank you!
finally found another dude whos going through a nose job just seems to be all womane on here like men dont have them
Yes there are definitely more women than man on here. Hopefully I can help another guy looking to make a change.
Welcome & Good luck.
Thank you!
Welcome to the site! It seems like you've found someone already, but the most important part in finding a surgeon is knowing not only have they done thousands of noses by far but also tons of noses like yours. Ask for more before and afters when you go to the consultation.
Thank you! Yes Dr. Choe specialized in ethnic plastic surgery so I was very comfortable choosing him as my dr.