Had Jaw Surgery Almost 10 Years Ago. Best Decision I Ever Made. - Vancouver, BC

Getting jaw surgery was one of the easiest...

Getting jaw surgery was one of the easiest decision I ever made. I am usually very indecisive, but for some reason I knew that I wanted this. I was just turning 16 when I had it done, and I have never felt even an ounce of regret or concern.

I was only majorly swollen for about 2 weeks, and then I was a little bit puffy for a couple months. Even when I was swollen I could tell that I was going to love the final results. Eating was very difficult and the jaw exercises were painful. I definitely can't open my mouth as wide as I could, but it is still completely within the normal range. The scars are almost non-existent and no one has ever noticed them.

Overall, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I am so happy with the results and it has been almost a decade! When I look in the mirror, I don't see a different person—I see what I was supposed to look like. That is how it feels. Dr. Wittenberg is a miracle worker and I am forever indebted to him. I think other people that have had negative experiences were not fortunate enough to be operated on by the incredible doctor I had. I think you get what you pay for, and it was worth every penny. No regrets.

*Not 100% sure of the cost but I believe it was around this mark. (My parents paid since I was 16)
**Photo is after. I don't have any "before" photos on this computer
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Best possible outcome from the best possible doctor! Love the results! Zero regrets!!

Hi!  It's rare for us to get people so long after the fact.  What were the specific concerns which prompted your surgery, and was it single or double jaw surgery?  Did you experience any unusual pain or any numbness after the procedure which resolved itself (or which didn't)?
Hi! I just had lower jaw surgery. It was more of a orthodontic issue than a cosmetic one, but if i didn't get it I would have required 5 years of headgear to move my jaw forward. Essentially I had an overbite that was going to get worse and become really noticeable over time. I don't recall any pain after surgery that lingered beyond the healing process. If I try to make my mouth go as wide as possible, it will ache a bit. I noticed a bit of a tingly feeling on the corner of my lip but it passed eventually. I did lose a bit of sensitivity on that side of my mouth however. I have a very, very slightly crooked smile. So slight that I actually didn't notice for about 6 years after surgery. I would like to emphasize how minor this is overall, and it doesn't bother me. No one has ever pointed this out and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that has ever noticed this. Overall, completely worth the added character.
Cool!  Thank you so much for answering :).  We have a few community members who are still numb even six months to a year and a half later, so I'm always looking for cases of numbness that persists but does eventually resolve itself.  Still, it's nice to know that small amounts of numbness do resolve for some people.

Thanks again!
Hi there:) Wow.. thanks for doing a review after 10 years!! It will help those who aren't so certain about this procedure. Did you have your lower jaw shifted back or forward and by how much? I have an orthodontic issue but I am worried about the aesthetic side of it and would also like to have a chin reduction done. Have you noticed any loose skin around lower jaw or chin area as years went by? Cheers.
Hi there! I had my lower jaw shifted forward. I don't know by how much, but it was not a huge amount, maybe a half inch? Not sure. Mine was an orthodontic issue as well, but it was also over time going to impact my physical appearance. Basically, having a stronger jaw was going to fix my bite and make me more attractive. I have not had any loose skin or anything like that, but mine was moved forward so I don't think that would happen. All I can suggest is go to a doctor that EXCLUSIVELY does oral surgery. Naturally, I would recommend my own doctor :)