I Never Thought I'd Actually Be Able to Cure my Melasma - Vancouver, BC

I'm a 35 year old Korean woman who's had problems...

I'm a 35 year old Korean woman who's had problems with pigmentation my whole life- though in the past few years, my dark spots have definitely become more pronounced. I consulted with a doctor who confirmed my worst suspicions- that I did in fact have melasma. She said melasma is technically incurable and finicky, but I had read some positive reviews and heard from some friends that it can be reduced, at least. So I tried the hydroquinone creams and papaya soaps and topical Vitamin C and everything- some helped, but just barely. More extensive research lead me to the Vancouver Laser Center, where I had a consultation and- I must be honest- I didn't feel welcomed, as an Asian woman. The employee suggested I try IPL, and I knew from having read some of the reviews on this site that that's not a good idea. Even more research landed me in Dr. Daniel Yip's office in Coquitlam, not too far from Vancouver, where I had my face photographed and analyzed (I got to see the black and white beneath-the-skin view, which was TERRIFYING, I had no idea how damaged my skin was!). I spoke with the doctor, who I think specializes in melasma treatment? And I decided on a "VRM" package with the Lutronic Spectra Nd:YAG machine. It was sort of an end-of-the-road last-ditch effort to eradicate my melasma; if this didn't work, I would give up. After a few treatments we took more photos so I could see the results so far, which were fairly good. After 8 treatments I was actually satisfied with how my skin looked- all the major dark spots were gone, and it was just a matter of evening everything out, and perhaps lightening if possible. After 10 VRM treatments from Dr. Daniel Yip (he was the one who did my treatments, which was nice, because other centers I'd heard about/visited relied on staff members, who couldn't give proper advice or be fully trusted), I HAD NO MORE DARKNESS! Now I know melasma has a reputation for coming back, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and sunscreen on. But in the meantime.. oh I'm just so excited. I finally feel beautiful in my own skin!

Thanks for posting. Your results are great! I also have brown skin and was looking to see if anyone had success. I'm looking fwd to seeing your follow-up posts. I think you got a fantastic deal (if 1300 was the total and not each visit). My sister got a quote for $6K for laser (not sure what kind and she declined) to try and get similar results.
I have melasma on my neck that has been helped by doing light chemical peels. A manor peel would probably work but I prefer to do multiple light ones to decrease risk and downtime. Good luck with this yag treatment. It sounds like it has worked but if the cost is $1300 each it is too steep for me.
So wonderful to hear that you resolved your Melasma issue!! Thank you for sharing photos with us. My fingers are crossed for you that your Melasma doesn't return. How far apart did you space out your treatments?
Dr. Daniel Yip

I wasn't even expecting to have my services done by Dr. Daniel Yip because of everything I'd heard about other clinics using technicians or even staff members, but it was nice to be able to talk to him about my progress and expectations. He seems to be a very busy guy, but also very sincere. OH! Almost forgot- there's a bunch of different products at the office. I'm not so much into products anymore but got a nice sunscreen foundation thing. Will write a review about that later.