Surgery Done on August 2nd, 2012 - Vancouver, BC

I guess I'll start off by saying I am 19 years old...

I guess I'll start off by saying I am 19 years old. I am 4'11 and weigh about 102 lbs. Before the surgery I was an E.

I think I considered breast reduction since mid highschool but I wasn't old enough then. Most girls developed much more earlier than I did (I started in grade 9) but in a year, I had already jumped 3 bra sizes, and it started to become a problem for my frame. It increasingly got harder to play soccer and to run (my favourite things to do), my back was constantly in stress (also because of an accident a couple years prior), and my posture became worse and worse but the emotional aspect was even harder. I've always loved fashion, but going on shopping trips with my girlfriends was always a mental nightmare. While all my friends (who were A's or B's) would look amazing in their new clothes, I struggled to fit into anything and I would literally have breakdowns in the store. It was awkward, because I don't think anyone really knew what to say. So for a long time I didn't wear anything but sweatshirt and sweatpants. It got to the point where I was really unsure if I was a girl anymore haha.

Actually, recently, just two weeks ago, I was asked by a friend of a friend to accompany him to a family wedding as a date. As a thank you gift, he wanted to take me out shopping for a new dress to wear on the day, but everytime he'd ask when I was free, I kept putting it off because I absolutely could not afford another breakdown in the store, especially not in front of someone I was seeing for the first time. In the end, I'd convinced him to let me buy my own dress, but he did still buy me another thank you gift!

Making the final choice was difficult. I didn't have much support. Most of my friends couldn't empathize. My mom couldn't empathize, my best friend didn't like my decision at all and kept trying to talk me out of it. (She was a cup size bigger than me, an F, but she also had a proportionate 190 lb frame to support it) My guy friends, for obvious reasons, didn't like it at first, but in the end became more supportive than my female friends. Closer to my surgery date, I opened up to some of the girls at work, who understood my pain and were excited to see my change, and it motivated me even more to go through with the breast reduction.

I first saw my family doctor in the beginning of May who referred me to Dr. Sproul. She was extremely busy and my doctor had told me she would only start taking new patients in the beginning of July. So after two months of anxious waiting and waiting for a call back, I went to my first appointment on July 10th. It was quick, she showed me pictures of other cases of breast reduction, explained the complications, and made sure I was emotionally ready for this procedure, even cracked a joke about where I got the boobs from (since I'm Cambodian, and generally most if not all Cambodian girls are flat-chested haha) So I got out, gave the receptionist a thumbs up and she booked me less than three weeks later, MSP automatically covering the procedure and everything!

Fast forward to August 2nd,
Going into surgery was when I started to panic a little. I got pretty nervous, especially since my surgeon was running a little late, it gave me more time to freak out haha, but the nurse let me have my phone by my side so I was able to talk to my best friend and my boyfriend who joked about wanting to see my medical nudes, and made the whole situation light hearted so I felt a little better :)

The first hour after waking up however was the hardest. As soon as I hit conciousness, I felt like my body was hit by a truck. I remember getting pretty emotional to the nurse, who was nothing but sweet and caring the whole way through. Two hours after waking up, I began to feel normal. The sedation had worn off by this time, and I felt no nausea or anything! The nurses were surprised I was getting up and walking around on my own with no problems.

Since then, I haven't had much complications. Still no nausea or anything, my energy level is amazing, and my moms been helping me get up to go to the washroom when I need to. I feel sore but the pain isn't too bad. There is a slight tugging sensation on the bottom of my left breast.

Today, I got a chance to see what was underneath all the gauze, and I LOVE IT! Dr. Sproul did an amazing job, My breasts are significantly smaller, but they are still full, and the placement of the incisions are centered and perfect! I am really happy with the procedure so far :)

For anyone who's already had their BR, how was recovery like? What are some tips to help ease into normal daily life?

4 days into recovery, and still no pain! I feel...

4 days into recovery, and still no pain! I feel amazing. My boyfriend came back from his trip and took me out for dinner last night, my first time getting out of the house since the surgery and I didn't have much trouble or pain. Being careful of course :)

I did notice that I don't have feeling in my left nipple. My right nipple is working perfect, I think even became more sensitive after surgery. How long does it take for feeling to come back? Has there been any case where someone has lost feeling in their nipples after BR permanently?

Also how much swelling usually occurs? From the looks of it, I feel like a large C, but I'm hoping, they will shrink just a little bit.

Cheers!!
Dr. Jane Sproul

I was referred to Dr. Sproul by my family doctor. While she didn't make much of an appearance before and after my surgery, or have the best bedside manner ever, I am so glad I went through with her because she is amazingly talented! I would trade beside manners for skills any day and she is known for doing the best breast reductions in the city of Vancouver.

I had big breast at a very young age and I was very self conscious of them my whole teen and adult life. At the time I had my breast reduction in 2002 I was a DDD/E cup; I'm 5'9 and was about 190 lbs but not only were my breasts big, they were not a nice shape. I suffered from terrible back and shoulder pain from my bra strap digging into my shoulders. Bra and clothes shopping was always a nightmare for me; nothing fit my top. I finally made up my mind to have something done about it, so I mentioned it to my family doctor and she referred me to Dr. Sproul; she had told me that it might be up to a year before I could get in for a consultation and another year before the actual surgery because Dr. Sproul was so busy and in demand. But I was more than prepared to wait because she was a female surgeon, which I felt more comfortable with and it was something that I needed to have done for myself. I had talked to my family doctor about this in Jan 2002 and by Feb she called me and said that I had an appt booked for March. I was very pleasantly surprised because I was expecting a much longer wait. I went for my first consult appt with Dr. Sproul in March 2002 and at my second appt a month later she booked my in for surgery for July 2002. On the day of surgery, I was a bit nervous but mostly excited, because it was something I thought about doing for a long time. After surgery, in the recovery room when I was coming around, I was in a lot of pain where the incisions had been made, I felt sick and groggy. The nurses in the recovery room were amazing, they were so kind and caring. The first night I was home was the worst, every time I would get up, I would get dizzy and I was still very nauseous and in pain. But on the second day I was fine. I was able to get up and walk around, the nauseousness had past and I didn't even need the T3 that was prescribed for me. Dr. Sproul said that I should take a month off work to fully recover, but at the time, I couldn't to be off work that long so I went back after two weeks. After the surgery, it was like I was a different person, I felt lighter, when I look down, I could see my feet and the best thing was being able to go with out a bra and not have my breasts hang down to my belly button any more, the were perky and a nice shape. At first I was worried about how bad the scars would be, but they weren't bad at all. I couldn't really see them unless I lifted up my breasts so I was happy about that. I was a full C/D and for the first couple of months I just wore a soft sports bra, but when I was able to go buy new bra's, it was great to walk into a store and grab a nice pretty bra off the rack and have it fit, in some cases, they were too big, which is something that I had never in my life experienced. All in all it was the best thing that I could have ever done for myself and I don't know why I didn't have it done sooner, it would have saved me so much grief. I say to any woman who suffers from having large breasts, and have thought about getting a reduction, just do it. You won't regret it one bit! Just do your research first or get your family doctor to refer you to someone who they'd go to. I can't say enough great things about Dr. Sproul, she's an amazing plastic surgeon and highly recommend her to any one. In fact I'm thinking of going back to her for a little tune up! = )
Love your results, she will also be my surgeon in the not too distant future, it has really helped reading these comments and I have a fair amount of anxiety and a need to read all that's posted.
Hi!! You look amazing!!! I really like your results!!!(size and shapes) How did you describe your ideal breast size to doctor?
Hi! i forgot to ask you in my last post, did you get lipo on the sides? Did dr. sproul mention it at all in your consultations?
Yeah she did :) She will most likely ask you too. I didn't get lipo, because I didn't need it, but she will definately give you that option :)
Your breasts look fantastic and very proportional to your body! For some people, it takes a couple of weeks for the sensation to return to their nipples. I had sensation right away, which was not that great during recovery :) Everyone's different and I'd say it's too early to tell for you at this point. Do you have any before pics?
Thank you! :) Yeah, unfortunately it's different for everyone :( Some people got feeling back, and some didn't, and I ended up somehow in the middle with one working and one not :( Unfortunately, I didn't take any, which I really regret. I was so ashamed of my body that I just avoided it, even though my boyfriend urged me to. I would have loved to see the dramatic change now!
Your PS did a great job. Your breast look great. Question. Did you ever regain feeling? I'm 10 weeks post op and still no feeling, other than very deep itching, in my left nipple. I also have a lot of numbness in other random areas on my breast. My PS told me at my 6 wk apt that i may not regain feeling in my nipple. kind of sad, but hey at least one works! and since they are no longer 3feet long, i dont have to worry about burning them on the stove when i cook and not feeling it :-)... So glad I did this. Btw, do you still see them changing??
Muahuahua that's great! Don't want to burn yer girly parts haha :) I do have random numbness as well, but mostly where my scars are :P I did regain a tad of feeling but I feel like that will stay permanent. It's been almost 6 months since my surgery :( But before, I never really had much feeling anyway, so now that one is at least super sensitive :P Big plus, eh? Even after all that, it's still so much better than size DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD boobs :)
Hi mleighrukov, I am a fellow Vancouverite scheduled for a consultation with Dr. Sproul on Jan 21. I chose her for my consultation because I love your results! You look so great. Now that its been a while since your surgery what is your size? Do you have any advice for me in regards to this doctor and size requests? I am praying she will make me at most a Full B/small C.. hoping for a B cup. Thanks!
Oh my god, this was so helpful. I'm the exact same size as you (4'11'' and 102) and a D/E. I'm currently waiting on insurance approval, but my doc has been really wishy-washy about what size I'll end up being. You look perfectly proportional! I hope mine turns out just as well!
I'm so sorry! I didn't see this comment until now, how has your pursuit with insurance gone? It would be ridiculous not to approve you! There is no possible way the weight of a size D/E cup will be healthy for a 4'11 frame in the long run. The best way is to make sure you communicate with your doctor about every possible concern you have. Mine was very understanding about my concerns and tried to do the best, and in the end the results were great!
If u don't like the size maybe latter on you can put some of your own fat in them...(they take some fat from another part of your body and they insert it in your breasts) that is what I am planning to do.

I had breast lift 5 weeks ago…or so I thought but I ended up having a reduction too... When I had my op and woke up my PS told me that he removed 300 grammars from each breast!!! Now I don't like that I am small...I'm 38 E but it is small for me since I'm super tall 6' 1" and I look like I don't have breasts when I am wearing my clothes... I went for bra shopping and I asked for a bra and the sales lade thought I was an A or a B cup with my clothes on!!!

As long as for the sensation it will get back!!! I didn’t have any on the right breast but gradually it is coming back when my left one is super sensitive.
sorry that was meant to be posted an another review.... by the way your breasts look amazing and I think they look well with your frame!!!
Wow - they are perfect!!! You must be so thrilled. Sounds like your recovery is going really well. Just take it easy, no heavy lifting or exercising for s few weeks. Do you know how much your surgeon took off?
I am actually pretty surprised how minimal the pain is :) I have yet to take painkillers! Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much she removed, I went down from a DD to a C, but had to remove a little more from my left breast. Sorry that didn't help :(

Your little breasts look amazing for being so early in your recovery! Congratulations and I'm so happy that you were strong enough to go after what you wanted when faced with so much negativity. Giving your body plenty of rest is the most important thing right now. Keep us updated!
Thank you :) It was the motivation I got from supportive peers and inspiration from this community that pushed me through, and I am so so happy that I did it! Of course I will :)