Starting Invisalign in my Latelatelate Teens. Urbana, IL

So, I finally am able to afford orthodontics and...

So, I finally am able to afford orthodontics and went ahead with Invisalign. Since I work in a customer service type job, I didn't want a mouth full of metal braces. My case is pretty mild - some crowding and my canines have a bit of a crossbite. However, my dentist said he thinks it will take about 18 months. They will probably have to shave some tooth enamel eventually, but I am THRILLED that there has been no talk of having to remove any teeth, especially my wisdom teeth - all four came in perfectly, and at most, have just slightly crowded my teeth.

At my biannual cleaning a couple weeks ago, I mentioned I wanted to start Invisalign and my office was very helpful and prompt about getting me in today - the dental hygienist (who was a doll!) took iTero scans. It was pretty easy and took about 40 minutes. Since I don't have too much crowding, the gal said it went quicker than it normally does. The dentist took some photos of my bite, teeth, and just my general jaw shape. It seemed that Invisalign requires these photos more than anything. They said they'd get the scans sent off and that they would call me in 3-5 weeks when my first set of aligners come in; they will also put on attachments. They didn't say how many I'll need, but I'm not too worried.

I hope this review helps others who are wondering to expect at their first appointment, as that is what I was most anxious about. :)

By the way, the cost of the aligners, attachments, and retainers is only $3500 for me. Apparently, the insurance company I'm with has a contract where it only costs my office $3500, instead of the $4500 it would cost without ANY insurance. If I were a year younger, my insurance would also have had covered about another $1000, but oh well. I like living in a small town!

Getting Impatient!

Grrrr. Tomorrow is three weeks since I had my teeth scanned. I want my aligners.

Hahaha, oh whatever. These things take time. :)

They're in!

My alligners are in. :)
BUT.
I'm super annoyed because my office cannot get me in until next Wednesday to get my attachments on and all that, but oh, well. It's gonna be 5 weeks from the scan to when they're in my mouth!

Ow!

Got attachments put on and my first set of aligners today at 10AM!

Oh, boy. It hurt bad. It's feeling a little better now but before I took some Tylenol... Ouch. I have 13 attachments, none on the very front teeth, which is nice. They matched it to my tooth color somehow! You really can't see the bumps at all, and with the aligners in, my teeth just look a little shiner. My dentist shaved off .2mm in quite a few places, and I like .3mm by one of my canines. You cannot see that gap, at all, especially with the aligners in.

I have 9 aligners for the top and 11 for the bottom. I'll probably need refinements, but I can totally live with that. 5-7 months is the estimated time of completion. I feel like I can already feel them shifting; they darned well better be 'cus it feels like they're just twisting out of their root, lol. My smile looks so much better, I think, with the enamel removed. My teeth are a little less wide now and I like it. But seriously, my teeth aren't that bad and I'm so excited I'm getting them "fixed".

My BF is soooo awesome. He made me tea while that Tylenol kicked in and he's super happy I'm finally starting. He's so proud, haha. :) I don't think my office uses AcceDent - didn't know what it was when I asked. Was told to just brush the aligners when I brush my teeth. Hmm. Let me know if you have any questions that I haven't though of!

Day four!

So, the past couple days have been a little miserable. Between my cheeks/tongue getting used to the inevitable rubbing of the plastic wear and the actual shifting that is occurring... Ouch. Orajel did the trick for my sore mouth, as did a warm salt water rinse. I'm finally getting used to these things. But, I will not lie, the first few days I was in tears. :( The first night I woke up at 3:30AM and couldn't get back to bed.

I have been leaving them in for at least 22 hours/day; I usually eat two meals a day so it's not too hard. After I eat l, I'll floss, use mouthwash, brush my teeth, and brush the trays. No problems with staining or breath yet!

No one has noticed them yet that I haven't told. :) My weird talking is slowly diminishing as time goes by. Yeah, for the first little bit I was seriously questioning why I had done this to myself, but that feeling has gone away. WOOT!

One week in!

Very little pain. Trays are feeling loose and I think that is a great sign.

I've been bad and have been drinking iced coffee through a straw in the morning before/at the very beginning of my 7AM shift. I always get my teeth brushed, for the second time, by about 10AM. No overt staining that I care about and I'm not prone to cavities, but I still wouldn't reccommend it. I just "need" my coffee. ;)

Gonna be switching to my 2nd tray Tuesday night before bed! Very much so looking forward to it.

Tray 2

Switched to tray two ten minutes ago and am headed to bed with 600mg ibuprofen in my belly. :)

Tray 4

Not too much to say. I'm definitely seeing some changes. No cavities or anything like that. :)
Dr. Micheal Cusack