Starting Invisalign in my Latelatelate Teens. Urbana, IL

So, I finally am able to afford orthodontics and...

So, I finally am able to afford orthodontics and went ahead with Invisalign. Since I work in a customer service type job, I didn't want a mouth full of metal braces. My case is pretty mild - some crowding and my canines have a bit of a crossbite. However, my dentist said he thinks it will take about 18 months. They will probably have to shave some tooth enamel eventually, but I am THRILLED that there has been no talk of having to remove any teeth, especially my wisdom teeth - all four came in perfectly, and at most, have just slightly crowded my teeth.

At my biannual cleaning a couple weeks ago, I mentioned I wanted to start Invisalign and my office was very helpful and prompt about getting me in today - the dental hygienist (who was a doll!) took iTero scans. It was pretty easy and took about 40 minutes. Since I don't have too much crowding, the gal said it went quicker than it normally does. The dentist took some photos of my bite, teeth, and just my general jaw shape. It seemed that Invisalign requires these photos more than anything. They said they'd get the scans sent off and that they would call me in 3-5 weeks when my first set of aligners come in; they will also put on attachments. They didn't say how many I'll need, but I'm not too worried.

I hope this review helps others who are wondering to expect at their first appointment, as that is what I was most anxious about. :)

By the way, the cost of the aligners, attachments, and retainers is only $3500 for me. Apparently, the insurance company I'm with has a contract where it only costs my office $3500, instead of the $4500 it would cost without ANY insurance. If I were a year younger, my insurance would also have had covered about another $1000, but oh well. I like living in a small town!

Getting Impatient!

Grrrr. Tomorrow is three weeks since I had my teeth scanned. I want my aligners.

Hahaha, oh whatever. These things take time. :)

They're in!

My alligners are in. :)
BUT.
I'm super annoyed because my office cannot get me in until next Wednesday to get my attachments on and all that, but oh, well. It's gonna be 5 weeks from the scan to when they're in my mouth!

Ow!

Got attachments put on and my first set of aligners today at 10AM!

Oh, boy. It hurt bad. It's feeling a little better now but before I took some Tylenol... Ouch. I have 13 attachments, none on the very front teeth, which is nice. They matched it to my tooth color somehow! You really can't see the bumps at all, and with the aligners in, my teeth just look a little shiner. My dentist shaved off .2mm in quite a few places, and I like .3mm by one of my canines. You cannot see that gap, at all, especially with the aligners in.

I have 9 aligners for the top and 11 for the bottom. I'll probably need refinements, but I can totally live with that. 5-7 months is the estimated time of completion. I feel like I can already feel them shifting; they darned well better be 'cus it feels like they're just twisting out of their root, lol. My smile looks so much better, I think, with the enamel removed. My teeth are a little less wide now and I like it. But seriously, my teeth aren't that bad and I'm so excited I'm getting them "fixed".

My BF is soooo awesome. He made me tea while that Tylenol kicked in and he's super happy I'm finally starting. He's so proud, haha. :) I don't think my office uses AcceDent - didn't know what it was when I asked. Was told to just brush the aligners when I brush my teeth. Hmm. Let me know if you have any questions that I haven't though of!
Dr. Micheal Cusack

Wow--you are learning patience early in the process ;).  A lot of us don't get the attachments right away, though, so those first couple of aligners don't work as hard.  They're giving you the turbo start!  It'd be really great if you could put them in and not have to take them out again for at least eight hours...
Hah! Patience is going to be so hard. I'm good at being patient at work and at school and with my BF, but I'm not with myself. I'm just gonna feel so guilty when I do actually have to take them out.
my clinic told me my waiting time for aligners is 6 weeks..! but they'll call if it comes in earlier. i'm getting impatient too. tmr is my 2 weeks since my moulds got done. sigh!
Up to six weeks!  And that wait is soooooooooo long!  Hang in there, though.  Once you get that first aligner in, you'll be so stoked!  And then the next day, you'll wish you'd had to wait another week ;).
Hah! I think I'll agree massively with that last point come the day I put them in! :)
I got so lucky somehow.. It was a week I think since scans were sent off and moulds came back and I live in Australia! The furthest of all the lands! Just a fluke huh? X
Wow, yeah, I've never heard of that!  Fantastic!
Hello, and welcome to our Invisalign Community!  Congratulations on being able to do this for yourself, and still so young!  You got a great price :).  Does it include refinements and retainers at the end?  And do you get to pick what kind of retainers?  Are they throwing in any extras (like whitening)?  I'm asking not because I think they should have, with that low price--just wondering!

Your starting place reminds me of mine :).  You can see my review here.  My treatment was less than a year.  But your starting place may be slightly more complex.

Is there an ETA for the aligners?
It does include the refinements and retainers at the end, but I'm not sure what type. No throw-ins that I know of, haha. Wouldn't exactly expect it! The alligners should be here in the next 3-5 weeks, and then I'll go in to get my attachments put on, too. Thanks for the link to your review!
I think a lot of our newest Invisaligners have much more serious crowding than you, or gaps.  I'm trying to think of whom to hook you up with.  Bec1234 is very new, and her case is very moderate.  Sunshinesmile84 and aloevera also have pretty mild crowding.  If you'd like help finding people, let me know who you'd like to find :).  And if you need any help here on RS, you can either PM me or comment on your review and I'll hear you!