Upper Eyelid Hollowness As a Result of Botched Blepahroplasty

I am a 36 year old Asian female. Last June 2007, I...

I am a 36 year old Asian female. Last June 2007, I had a blepharo to have double eyelids. However, my left upper eyelid became too hollow. I had a second bleph in March 2009 to correct this. The same doctor removed scar tissue. This did not work.

Nobody in Manila seems to be competent enough to perform a fat-grafting procedure. I even consulted an oculoplastic surgeon but he can not provide pictures of clients with similar problems and have limited or no experience at all at fat grafting of eyelids.

I am frustrated that my eyelids are hugely assymetrical. I am fearful of another surgery as it may damage muscle function or cause ptosis. I've read that fillers don't work and the only solution is fat grafting.

In surgery connected to the eye, the doctor or cosmetic surgeon must be experienced in Ocuplastics. Do research online about hollow eyelids and read published abstracts. For example, I've just learned that fat grafting is even more viable (can last for 3.5 years) if pubic fat is used vs. fat in other areas of the body. Be informed. Read articles and do research. To prevent hollow eyelids in blepharo procedures, the doctor must remove fat conservatively and with caution. It is easier to remove fat or muscle but extremely difficult to replace in corrective surgeries. Be wary of this.

Hi Virgo, i am asian having the same problem as you but I have ptosis on my left upper eyelid, been through 3 surgeries and is unsuccessful. It became worst from my last procedure. How your condition now and have you solved your hollowness.
I think before you think about injecting fat into the eyelids if you think fat has been removed and there is a hallowing is try hyaluronic acid. It can last for years in the eyelid and orbital area and can be a very nice temporizing measure. Dr. Boxrud
Dr. Boxrud,

Could you explain more about hyaluronic acid? I have hollow eyelids from too much fat taken out. I am scared to go under any invasive surgery again (it's been about 5 months)so I would love to learn of another route to repair this.
I been through 3 ptosis and from a bad surgery I have the same problem on my left eyelid, in response to Dr. Cynthia I did the hyluronic Acid( filler) did not work ,in fact I left like a piece of rock sat on my eyelid which made my eyebrow raise up very high and my eyelid droop even more so I have it dissolved within a week. I think this aid when injected especially in the eyelid area it is crucial cuz once it get harden in eyelid it form it self unlike body form. Cuz it did not function well and in fact I think it cripple the mechanicism of the eyelid open and shut. I am still undecided of What I should next and I am searching for a solution .
Also, could you leave the name of your doctor? I am Filipino too and I was thinking of getting mine done here in Manila soon. This person may be one of the doctors I've consulted with "na", your help would be very much appreciated:)
Hi Virgo36 I have exactly the same problem as you and i am wondering how you are now and have you found anything that works for you yet ? I am thinking of trying restalyne injections to fill out a hollow left upper eyelid ? Has anyone tried this and how did you get on ?
I have and they work-all though you can see it when you raise your eye brows, so you'd need to get your forhead frozen with botox.
only lasted 3 months though and cost 500!!
but it was good to see what it can look like...
I am considering fami fat grafting for a perminant solution, but not for a while as i still have other reconstructive surgeries to go
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that it worked and you got to see what it can look like even though it was expensive and temporary. Did you do Juvaderm or Restylane? Do you know how much your dr. used? I'm thinking I should start very small and conservative to start. Also, when you say "you can see it", what can you see? Visible scar or lump? It's interesting you say that you have to get botox to freeze your forehead because I was thinking maybe I should get botox to freeze the forehead which might help lower my eyebrows so that my eyelids won't looks so high and hollow. Thanks so much again for sharing your experience and knowledge.
hi, it was restylane that was used, I had a full one mill in one of my upperlids, it looks swollen and bruised instantly-but it went down very quickly really.
When I raised my eye brows i could see lumps where the restylane is.
No scars- just lumps-
Yes Botox has helped lower my brow making the upper hollow less arched-it makes me feel better-shame that I have to do this as high brows are younger!!
good luck-let me know how you get on.
well i have the same problem after a ptosis repair it made my eyes worse specailly my left ihave the same problem as u...i have talked to the dr ihad this procedure done back june its been 9 months and no improvemnets..i was wondering if them fillers would really work....after surgery it left me with swellingness on the toplid wich makes me have several creases....i thought that i ha gone there to improve but made it worse plizz hellp////
Dr Mernok is an oculoplastic surgeon in the states he specialises inorbital fat grafting. can you keep us all postedwith how you get on be it with tempery fillers or fat grating, am considering the same myself. good luck x
Sorry about the procedure causing hollowing in your eye. However from the picture you posted I believe a filler can definatley help lessen the appearance of the hollowing untill you can find a PS to fix the problem. Im not knowledgeable about the availability of fillers in the Phillipines. However if you can locate a doctor who can and knows how to inject get Juvaderm ultra plus or restylane both of these fillers are temporary last from 6-1 year for Juvaderm. I think the fillers will some good volume to lessen the hollowing. The plus side is that these are temporary and can be reversed with hydrolaise. Secondly they are made of naturally occurring substances in your body and even stimulates collagen growth. I have used both of these products on my face for lines and hollowing of the eyes. I have also heard that Sculptra or Aretfill can also be used and have a longer lasting effect and used to shape severe hollowness and is use to help reshape the hollowing face of HIV patients to bring a healthy volume back.Sorry this is so long, but I just realized that if you already working with a Dr. in the Philippines hes can actually with a prescription order Juvaderm/ Restylane for your through one of those online medical supply sites, which makes the cost of what I think you might need would be probably around 2cc for a deal of about 300.oo us dollars. Hope this information helps, and from what I see you are still a pretty lady.
I'm suffering from hollow eyelids after double eyelid surgery but my doctor keeps on telling me it's swelling. It's been almost 5 months. It's pretty clearly hollowed eyelids from too much fat taken out. What kind of doctor should I go to get fillers in the proper places to repair (albeit temporary) the hollowness? I feel like I shouldn't have the dr who did the surgery further mess up. You seem to have experience and knowledge so I appreciate any advice.

Have you tried Dr. Korn in San Diego. He is an Ocuplastic surgeon that only does eye procedures. He may be Filipino as well so he has experience with Asian patients. I'm also Filipino and I had my first surgery at Belo Medical using the Co2 laser. The surgery made my eyes pretty and I had little scarring but I began to develop ptosis on one of my eyes. I will be going to Dr. Korn for a consultation for ptosis correction and lower eyelid surgery to remove the hollowness from my lower eyelids. His credentials are also very good. Good luck to you.

I don't know, but you might just have ptosis. I just had mine repared and it turned out well. check out Dr. Peter Levin (he's in Mt. View, CA) to see b/f and after for ptosis. Your problem might just be ptosis, which is relatively easy to repare.

Did you see Dr Levin for the repair?
also consider going to an OCULOPLASTIC SURGEON. They are opthalmologists trained to do cosmetic surgery on the eyes. They know their way around eyes better than any cosmetic surgeon does.
yes, i used a board certified plastic surgeon. just make sure he does not take away too much fat. tell him to be conservative about it. its more difficult to deal with hollowed eyelids later on. TRUST ME.
I haven't done orbital fat grafting. I'd like to do a less invasive procedure but I have to wait it out for three more months to let "the tissues settle". Let me know how yours work. I just got my 2nd bleph last March 09 with no improvement at all. I still have to rest my eyelids.
Hi Virgo36. Sorry to hear of your experience. I have asymettrical eyelids with high deep creases after botched upper eyelid bleph also. Too much fat was taken away-more in my left eye. I've tried fat transfer by injection twice and most of the fat metabolized so i'm considering dermis fat grafting or orbital fat grafting. I might try restylane injections first instead of jumping into the more invasive procedures. I'm just not sure which Dr. to trust anymore. Have you made any decisions on what your going to do and with which dr???
I am suffering from the same problem, and it is very devastating. My upper eyelids are hollow looking now and they look horrible. Have you resolved your problem yet? I am planning to do filler first because after two invasive procedures, I am fearful of having another one.
what invasive procedures have you had done...orbital fat grafting with strip or pearl fat or dermis fat grafting or fat transfer injections? please tell us what didn't work. I haven't had restylane yet. next week I have an apt. but I'm still considering pearl fat approach.
Did you use a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedure? I am planning to have my upper eyelids done and am anxious after reading some of these reviews.