vaser liposuction has left me with uneven stomach and a lumpy look - United Kingdom

I decided to have the vaser liposuction as i was...

i decided to have the vaser liposuction as i was very unhappy about my stomach. I would always struggle to cover up the bulgey layers that i would often get from wearing jeans and i would feel uncomfortable wearing short tops. therefore i decided to go ahead and have the liposuction on my UPPER AND LOWER ABDOMEN, MY LOVE HANDLES (FLANKS) AND MY BANANA FOLDS (THE FAT THAT HANGS UNDER THE BRA STRAP)

I was in theatre for around 5 to 6 hours and because I was sedated i was still concious and i could feel the pain while the surgery was being performed on me. was this normal? has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Its like the worst nightmare. All i could remember was sharp unbearable pain, i remember screaming... anyway moving on.. i had the surgery and was bandaged up, from what i could see whilst having the compressure garment on i was amaized by the results. straight away i noticed a huge difference. Then 2 weeks later i took the garment off and couldnt bare to look at it myself, i thought it was going to be horrific but surprisingly i was amaized again by the size of the incisions.

I did find it pretty painfull for the first week but the pain was controlled by painkillers which helped alot i was still sore a few months on bruising was not too bad. My stomach was still healing .I was told to have plentY of massages to get rid of the lumps that had occured from the lipo. there was 2 things that wre concerning me by this stage i realised my upper abdomen looked like it had not had liposuction performed on it. and no2 by the looks of it these lumps didnt seem to go down and they were makin my stomach look really deformed.. i was told final results could take months up to 6 7 months.. so i waited nearly a year on ....

the lumps are no longa solid but they still look like there still there. thre huge lumps but when i touch them they feel like fat. my belly is now completely uneven and out of shape. when i wear tops my upper abdomen looks fatter then my lower abdomen. my lower abdomen looks wrinkly and completly uneven and lumpy. i tried doing a big of research and it looks like liposuction fibrosis... is there any one else with this problem??? i am still the same weight that i am before i had the surgery and i have been strict on myself when it comes to diet, after all 5 grand is alot of money!!!!!!

i dont have any before pictures at the moment but please have a look at my pictures. i am embarssed! my stomach looked better before then it does now. i feel like a 50 year old woman! has anyone else had this problem? i honestly want my money back, i dont no how im going to fix this. i have emailed my clinic but they are asking for £150 just for a consultation. i dont even think iv got any money left after saving and spending that much on the procedure. i wouldnt advise it to any one, i mean the results i had while i had the garment on were good but the final results have left me emotional could any one advise me on what i can do? i no i cant leave it like this as i am 5 grand down and unhappier then i was before having the surgery? i want it fixed

London Dermatologist

for me the hole experience has been a big regret, unless i am able to have this fixed free of charge, which i doubt is never going to happen.

About 7 months ago (scroll down) 'anon2634' made some suggestions. Were they useful for you?
I had the procedure around a year before I posted this review, because I was told by her it would take up to a year to see final results. i was told on my post op visit i do not need to worry about the lumpiness and uneveness because this would go overtime. About a year later when I emailed her several times and told her the lumpiness was still there i arranged to see her and she cancelled on me. I started having treatments elsewere called endermologie as i was so dipressed about my confidence. i couldnt see any difference. I'd had enuf I got in contact with her and demanded a meet up. She didn't tel me ONCE or make me sign anything saying I could have six free operative post op visits if this was the case why did I have an email from her in early 2012 saying I would have to pay £150 consultation fee she also did not contact me in 2012. She tried her best to avoid me and ignore my fone calls as well as emails. After finally getting in contact with her and arguing with her she did initially drop this fee because I wasn't having any of it. Its funny how she says i didnt attend three consultations when she wouldnt even book me a consultation? if i had a consultation y on earth would i not attend it? im the unhappy unpateint with a disfigured mess that she has left me in. blameing your pateint for your bad work isnt going to work. when I saw her for the last time she told me there was absolutely nothing she could do. I argued and told her to do a touch up and she told me she couldn't as it wouldn't make a difference. I then told her I'm having endermologie treatments to try and treat the disformation and she told me there was no point it won't make it go away. Then she was comparing my before and after pix and said to me ' well at least u don't look like what u did before' wot... really? She's trying to say I didn't follow a healthy lifestyle. Is that why I weighed a stone less, when she weighd me in the clinic then what I did before I had the surgery. And finally the reason I put 12000 dollars is as I am unsure about currency changes. I clearly stated I paid £5000 for the op however it probably has cost me 12000 dollars as iv spent an extra 2 grand on endermologie and lymphatic massages. 12000 dollars = £7714 to be precise. Still no luck still not happy with the results. No change at all. I might have to go under the knife again it's been a disaster! By far the most uncaring unprofessional surgeon.thank u anon and every1 else for ur support
Did you see at least one other Lipo specialists? And if so, what was the advise?
Normally I wouldn't respond to a review, but since this one has attracted so many speculative questions and remarks I thought it would of interest to others to clarify the facts. In the review, this patient is mainly complaining about an uneven, lumpy result around her abdomen. First, to set the time period, this patient had her Vaser liposuction procedure in my clinic on 27 September 2010. She wrote this review on 2 March 2012, some 18 months after her operation, and just at the time when she had first entered back in contact with us. With regards to her perceived lumpiness, I would like to explain that as part of patient education for Vaser liposuction in my clinic, during consultation I emphasize the critical importance of post-operative visits. I provide documentation, and explain in person that the aesthetic success of a liposuction operation is highly dependent on post-operative care. Indeed, many of you will already know that proper monitoring and adjustment of the compression garment in conjunction with manual lymphatic drainage massage can be key to avoiding permanent lumps and folds. To obtain the best possible outcome I specify that the patient visit me six times within the first six weeks after the operation. Although I covered this information with the patient, and she signed an agreement confirming she would attend all six, free, post-operative visits, she only came for a single one, two weeks after her procedure. Another aspect of patient education that I cover in depth during the pre-operative consultation is the importance of adopting a healthy lifestyle. Vaser liposuction can sculpt the body by reducing the sub-dermal fat layer, but the aesthetic results can be ruined if calorie intake is not curbed. All of this is well documented in the patient's clinical file. Unfortunately the patient just did not follow my advice. In early 2012, the patient booked and subsequently did not attend three consultations (each which were offered free of charge). It was only then that I decided that free consultations could no longer be offered to her. Finally, I note that the patient paid $7,5000 for her procedure, not $12,000 as she stated in her review.
Oh Please! You are seriously going to blame the patient because she missed her appointments AFTER "your" screw up. Man up and fix it!!! You doctors! All alike.
I also wonder why you posted what she paid. Why was this important? Or does a patient get a reduced quality of surgery based on what they pay?
Your violation of HIPPA is disturbing in itself (and probably a reason for sanction) but you reasons for the patient's dissatisfaction seem more like you are blaming the victim rather than taking responsibility. And in the end you resort to the common and irrational refrain about "not pigging out" (i.e. reducing caloric intake). How much reduction is necessary? You advertise that it is for stubborn pockets of fat that are resistant to exercise and diet. Does that not imply that proper diet is already being followed? So you think that after lipo women go out and 'pig out'? And that is why her results are bad? And the compression garment will truly affect the ultimate outcome? I don't see ANY scientific evidence to support that. But I DO see evidence that shows how damaging this procedure is. I don't know what the laws are in England as far as violation of privacy but in the US they are pretty strong. I hope that you understand the breach of privacy you have made here.
Thank god I saw this post and your nasty reply as I was just about to book a consultation with you as you're so local to me. Playing the blame game... Smh.
Hmmm, she probably doesn't know how to fix it. Seems like this is conveyor belt style, assembly line lipo. Also, I can't believe dermatologists are doing this in the UK! Anyway, I feel lots of people who get lipo would be better off investing in a personal trainer. 5k could buy you a ton of private sessions for at least 6 months. I don't understand why people don't think of this first before getting liposuction.
sorry for your story, this is why i consider having it in colombia een if people dt advise to do it abroad because of the surgery follow up but they are the best surgeonyou can find in colombia, the price is very reasonable and i have seen amazing result so far. Maybe if you consider having it abroad it will be cheaper for you to touch if but this doctor you done it with should give you an alternative solution to make up for it. im having my surgery end of february and will update next month xx
even* touch up* sorry my keyboard is stiff
Yes you could also consider having it in Belgium, this is seen as a "cheap" medical tourism option but trust me you will get a proper procedure, be looked after properly in a hospital and receive follow ups in London if you pick your surgeon carefully. I know that some UK doctors do not do follow ups or any type of aftercare at all, even people who have had face lifts sometimes don't see the doctor again after their surgery, just the nurse.
How are the prices in Colombia, compared to those in Europe?
I find it astonishing that Alex Chambers, MD, does not at least offer you a free consultancy to see, analyze and discuss the situation with you in detail. And when she feels she is unable to correct disfigured or injured by cosmetic surgery these errors, the thing to do would be a refund, so that you could have it corrected by a real surgeon. Both my husband and I are considering VASER Lipo, but your story is an eye-opener, and certainly a warning to think twice before using dermatologist instead of a surgeon. I have quickly Googled for you, and there are a few obtions for you. If you feel that, for whatever reason, the surgical procedure was not carried out correctly, you should first contact your surgeon, or clinic. When you feel that you have been disfigured or injured, and Alex Chambers, MD, has had enough opportunities to solve this, then you can file a complaint. There are numerous possibilities for that. For example with the General Medical Council (http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/making_a_complaint/a_patients_guide.asp) Or with the Healthcare Commission (telephone 0845 6013012 or www.healthcarecommission.org.uk/aboutus/complaints.cfm). There’s the Care Quality Commission (03000 616161 or enquiries@cqc.org.uk and http://www.cqc.org.uk/). There’s even a new TV program in the UK about Plastic Surgery errors. Channel 5 is making a new documentary series about the UK’s top surgeons who correct cosmetic procedures that have gone wrong. If you’ve had botched surgery and want to get it fixed, email kerry@transparenttelevision.com or call 0207 704 3333 Please also check This link about the possibilities with the Small Claims Court: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/making-a-complaint/taking-a-dispute-to-the-small-claims-court/. Good luck!
If you read dr Alex chambers reply she says she did offer free consultations but the lady did not show for them. I have heard dr Alex chambers is highly regarded and she is being unfairly slated.
Not anymore. the patient booked and subsequently did not attend three consultations (each which were offered free of charge). It was only then that I decided that free consultations could no longer be offered to her. So basically wants to blame the patient. Attending or not attending follow up consultations does not produce lumps. And now basically the doctor doesn't want to take responsibility. Just think of all the people that this doctor has lost as prospective patients. I know I certainly wouldn't use this doctor.
It seems to be these lumps are as a result of not receiving adequate aftercare. Patient education is a vital element of life post-liposuction. With a healthy lifestyle and MLD these lumps would certainly have been improved during the healing process. If the patient does not attend follow-ups, I do not see how Alex Chambers could have prevented this. Prevention would have been much better than demanding more surgery with Alex Chambers. Also if you book and do not show up to appointments, people are less likely to help you subsequently in life. Be courteous and reasonable :)
I had vaser done too, in the usa and i gain 3 kg after. Then last year i lost 10 kg and the results are there. We all know new fat can develop in different areas, in my case, the areas removed look great still every time i lose weight. I also think doc is being bombarded w accusations. And i also feel that a vaser should be done by a PS and not a dermatologist. The fact is in brazil where i am from, everyone has lymphatic drainage too and here is not the case. Yes she looks lumpy, but if she hits the gym like i did and lose weight this shouldant be visible.
Agree totally
Hi, really sorry to read your story. I had vaser lipo performed 10 days ago and can say it was fantastic. I am in the UK and went to a clinic in Harpenden - I have nothing but absolute praise for them and wonder if it may be worth your while booking a consulation with their surgeon (Dr Ravi Jain - google him and you'll find their website). After two c-sections I was left with a hideous 'roll' on my lower abdomen but ended up having my whole abdomen done to balance it out. Procedure was a breeze and I was given the mobile numbers for Dr Jain, the anaesthetist and theatre nurse should I need to speaj to them day or night. After care has been fab too. I really really think it would be good for you to have Dr Jain take a look at you - he may be able to help with your case against your clinic. (My procedure cost 2,600 - so far worth every penny). I have also been having post op lymphatic drainage massage every other day which was advised which has worked a treat - no lumps or bumps. This also helps the body heal quicker. I know hearing me rave on about my success doesn't initally help you, but I just wanted to share a positive story with you so that you can perhaps turn your situation around. xx
I also had lymphatic drainage post op last month for boob op in brazil and it helps a lot, but has to be done by someone also that knows what they are doing. Its too late two years post op to have done. Problem sometimes patient do not know about thr drainage and do. Not compute that extra cost into the surgery cost.
Dr Alex Chambers has some good reviews,not saying all her work is perfect, though she is highly regarded.I wouldn't beable to afford her fees!!

I am surprised she is charging you for a post-operative check though,or did you get one of those before?

I am seeing my surgeon who performed my lipo in Belguim, in August 2011,at a post op consult in London on 15th August 2012 ...a year later. This is how long (as far as I am concerned) it should take for you body to heal. I may need some revision for very hard lumps on my abs,although I have absolutely no scarring and am 95% happy.

Did Dr Chambers explain to you before hand the realities and what could and what not not be 'realistically' performed?

I cannot tell whether any of your pics are pre or post op. If they are all post op,then it looks as though Dr Chambers skimped.

I would am curious to know the outcome of this and hope you get the end result you crave.
Sorry obout the typos..Just finished a 10,000 word assignment and am soooo tired! LOL***
Alex is a Dermatologist - not a plastic surgeon!
I am curious to see also a pre op pic