Day Two

I am scheduled to have an open rhinoplasty done...

I am scheduled to have an open rhinoplasty done seventeen days from now during my high-school spring intersession. I have never been teased or bullied but instead have decided to have the procedure done since I am self-conscious and feel it isn't proportional to my facial features. I have read a number of blogs and watched several YouTube videos on experiences which have helped me gain an overall idea of what I should expect and how to prep. Although this will be my first time under anesthesia, which is worrying to some, (especially my mother) I am confident the operation will go well since I am comfortable with my surgeon and the communication over my expectations. I have considered this practice since a very young age but never mentioned it to a family member / friend until 04/2012 then eventually my mother scheduled a consultation Jan/2013 where a date was set. I purchased items I found necessary for the "after," including:

CLOTH TAPE, LITER WATER BOTTLE, STRAWS, SALINE SPRAY, VASELINE, CLEANSING WIPES, GAUZE PADS, STOOL SOFTENER, CUTIPS, SLIPPERS, EAR PLUGS, TYLENOL, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, SUNBLOCK.

Being only ten days away from surgery has me...

Being only ten days away from surgery has me browsing the web for tips and advice instead of doing research for an English 1302 extensive essay - but this is a significant change and entirely worth a bland paper! As an extension to the shopping list - here is the second part, thanks to comments and other blogs. If you'd like to add something to the list, please comment.

SALTINE CRACKERS, SOUPS, YOGURT, PROTEIN SHAKES, U-SHAPED PILLOW, NEOSPORIN, AIRBORNE, ARNICA, JUICE.

I've been trying to avoid posting since it can be both repetitive and a bit useless since I haven't undergone the procedure - but I have a few questions I have been wanting to ask RealSelf users!

Did you have a rhinoplasty between the ages 16-18? If not, what age and why did you find it appropriate then? How was the experience? What change(s) did this procedure bring into your life? (especially among family and friends.) Pain scale: 1-5? When did bruising and most of the swelling go away? How long did you sleep with your head tilted under a wedge pillow? What do you recommend?

I'll try updating my review after surgery today,...

I'll try updating my review after surgery today, if not, tomorrow! I am so excited and can't believe the day is here! Wish me luck!

I've just been released and am not in any pain!...

I've just been released and am not in any pain! I'll update the details of the procedure in a little while!

On the day of surgery, my mom and I went in at...

On the day of surgery, my mom and I went in at 7:30am where a nurse took us into a small room and started an IV. Eventually, around noon, I went into the operating room in a wheelchair. The anesthesiologist was being very funny and before I knew it I woke up in my room with absolutely no pain. Staying at the hospital overnight was the best since the nurses would come in very often, but when it was time to sleep, I was restless. I came home yesterday and have just been trying to relax. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

hello, what was the cloth tape used for?
I am 16 and getting mine done in April. Hope everything is still going well. Any tips for me?
Where are the photos?
Your nose looks awsome and its only going to look better!! Congrats your going to look even more beautiful!! ;)
Congrats! Your photo looks amazing already, for having had it taken right out of surgery - I can only imagine how great you look when the cast comes off! I hope your recovery continues to be this pain-free and easy :)
Oh my goodness how gorgeous your new nose is looking already! Beautiful before and stunning in the future. Take it easy as you recover & congrats!
Congrats on getting through the surgery. Good luck on a painless and speedy recovery! Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it :)
Goodluck! I hope your surgery went well today and you weren't too nervous or anything. :) Let us know how it went. Mines tomorrow and I'm soooo nervous!
Good luck today! I hope everything went well, and I'm excited to see your results!
Hello! I hope you are doing well! My surgery went good today, I really don't remember much! I am very bruised under my eyes, but that will go away. I hope you are feeling good and relaxing :)
Good luck girl! I hope the best for you!
Good luck!! :)
Good luck!! : )
Good luck tomorrow!
You too! I'm getting really excited now! Question! Are you shaving your nose hairs? I know it's a totally weird question but I have no idea!
I used a nose hair trimmer!!! :) I'm SO excited, my appointment is early in the morning...what time is your procedure?
My appointment is set for 8AM but they have to do the blood work beforehand!
Tomorrow!!! :)
Thanks for the shopping list! I'm having my surgery on the 13th ahhhhh goodluck!
I'm glad you found it useful! And likewise!
One week!!! :)
I'm so excited but antsy at the same time!
Hi koraflower! It's good that you're asking for advice beforehand. Let me see if I can answer your questions. I had mine done at age 26. I found it appropriate to wait until then because, personally, I was very insecure and I didn't really know what I specifically wanted from my nose until my mid twenties. Additionally, my face changed a lot during my late teens and early 20s, so I waited until I was done growing. The pain on my nose was minimal (1), it mostly discomfort. It was my first time under anesthesia though, and my physical reaction was bad. Eye bruising went away after a couple days, but swelling is still going strong at 10 days. I am still sleeping tilted and will probably stop after a full 2 weeks. For me, it's too early after my surgery to answer your other questions, but feel free to check out my review and chat with me there too.
Thanks, I definitely will!
Hey! I had it done at 17. I think it is an appropriate age to have the surgery as you're young and healthy! The experience was great actually. I thought it would be much worse than what it was! The anticipation is definitley the worst part of the whole experience!!! It wasn't painful at all, just a bit of pressure on the nose on the 2nd day but that's it. The worst week was definitely the first week as the drugs make me feel crap and I was sick because of them -_- Pain was about 2! My bruising went away within 2-3 weeks. Nobody has noticed my nose which is the best thing about it! My parents are the only ones who know about it. I did not tell any friends and they have not noticed! Or they don't want to say anything!?! haha. I feel exactly the same as I did before I had it done! However, I feel a little less self councious and I don't care if people stare at me from the side anymore, which is a great feeling! And the sleeping part.... I slept with a wedge pillow for the 1st week and then a neck pillow for about 2-3 weeks after. After that I slept as I normally do. I highly recommend a wedge pillow and neck pillow for the first few weeks for a comfortable sleep!! :D