...Hernia/Muscle Repair

Ok, so here I go. I have been spending crazy...

Ok, so here I go. I have been spending crazy amounts of time on this website looking at stories and pictures. Thank you all for sharing your journey. I can honestly say I don't know I could do this without all this support. Like most people here, I am scared of the complications and risk associated with this procedure but see how the results can be so worth it. If I can just get past the nerves....

I am a mom of 3 kids (boy 7 yrs, girl 5 years, and boy 9 mo.) The boys were both almost 10 pounds and I am short waisted. The result is stretch marks up to my ribcage and lots of saggy skin. When I look in the mirror it doesn't look like me (or at least the me I like to remember). I am 5'3" and 155 pounds. I want to lose at least 10 pounds before surgery and another 10 after.

I have been on 2 surgical consults so far and am scheduled next week for my third opinion with a dr highly recommended from a friend. Choosing a surgeon has been one of the most stressful parts so far. Of course I am only looking at double board certified and credible sources, but there are so many to choose from in the Dallas area. I really like the idea of no drains and am seeking only doctors who use quilting sutures. My first appt was with the dr who invented the Progressive Tension Suture technique and published it in medical journals. I liked him but cannot find anyone who has used him and can recommend him. If anyone out there knows about this guy, please please let me know.

Im so tired of wearing compression garments to not look pregnant from the muscle separation and all the skin.

Asked again today if Im pregnant. Seriously sick of it. Gotta get rid of this.
Thanks for the welcome :) I love this community. Everyone is so supportive. Sassy the tissue glue sounds great and seems you would have a shorter recovery time and less pain.
Welcome. I'm a Dallas gal too. Had my surgery January 19th. Ask away with any questions. I too had a no drain full tummy tuck with muscle repair.

I had a consult with a third dr. He was one a...

I had a consult with a third dr. He was one a friend referred me to as well as a couple of women on this site. He was so great. I liked everything he had to say and feel comfortable with him.

Thanks for the support Marinemom. There is no way I could go through with surgery without the support I have found here
wylenewbee, Go with who you are most comfortable, assuming all things are equal. I personally did not know anyone who has used my surgeon, but others have used the practice, my ob/gyn had the highest regard for him. (he's double board certified as well and trained at Vandy and Emory, both well know for excellent training. Anyway, my point is, go with the ps YOU feel comfortable with. I met with 2, I knew immediately by his bedside manner, the office staff, and in general, how welcomed I felt, that he was the one. It is a connection you feel. At least that is my experience. I can't wait! (do see some pics of their work, that is important). Good luck..go with your instincts girl!
Im afraid Im sabotaging myself with stress. I am supposed to be losing 10 pounds (says me, not the dr) and I am eating like crazy. Kinda think I should just do the surgery and stop stressing about losing lbs first. Maybe getting the surgery will give me the jump start to lose a few pounds. Did anyone else go through this?

I did it. I booked my appointment and had my...

I did it. I booked my appointment and had my pre-op yesterday! It is paid for and no turning back. One moment I am excited and the next totally panicked. I decided on a doctor. I picked the one with the most experience and "specialty" of tummy tucks. I got my prescriptions to fill and need to make my shopping list. Oh I don't think I mentioned its next FRIDAY. I needed to schedule it soon, the longer I wait I seem to stress. So 8/5/2011 here I come.

Awesome Wylie, great that you have booked and you don't have too long to wait for your big day. You are going to be so happy with your decision - I know I am. Try to stay positive and think "happy" thoughts. You are going to get through this, and we are here to encourage and support you all the way. Keep us updated. All the best. Robyn.
If I can look like you Anmarie I will be thrilled!
gosh your belly looks a bit like mine before my tt. Bet you're super excited now are you x

Less than 2 days away. Work has kept me so busy I...

Less than 2 days away. Work has kept me so busy I haven't had time to worry about my upcoming surgery. I haven't gone shopping or packed my bag. Hmmm, I think I better get started.

I am glad you are doing well! Horay for flat tummies! :) I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly; keep us posted!
It went great. I was so nervous the morning of. But next thing I knew it was over. I had an amazing surgeon and have great results. I was nervous this evening because my pubic area seems excessively swollen and I was worried because the nurse overnight told me I need to be hunched over in bed not flat. But that is so uncomfortable for me. I called the dr and he told me the swelling in the pubic region is normal and that I should not feel like I should be hunched over, in fact if I want to be straight that is best. Because of the way he does internal stiches and quilts the stitches, there is a faster easier recovery.
How did your surgery go?

Day 3 post op. I felt good yesterday. Today Im in...

Day 3 post op. I felt good yesterday. Today Im in pain. Especially when I walk. I took after pictures and they are kinda scary looking. Definitely a tight tummy, but lots of pink splotchy and bruising. The binder is a love hate relationship. I know it helps with swelling, but it is painful. I called the dr last night because I was worried about swelling of the pubic area, but he said that is a common issue and to blame gravity. Which makes sense and I know other ladies have had the same issue.

I didn't submit mine to insurance, didnt want to deal with it. I have heard bad stories in the past about insurance controlling how surgery gets done. I wanted full control. The Dr may do it for you, I didnt ask or try. I am so happy I did this, and love my results. My belly button is so good you cannot tell I had a full tummy tuck. The way he sutures the belly button gives a really natural look. Also the quilting sutures give a sculpted look rather than just a flat tummy. I do not regret anything. I cannot understand ever using drains. It seems so many complications and pain is because of them not the surgery. Dr Pollock has a pain pump as optional. Everyone on here told me to get the pain pump. Seriously, get the pain pump. It is necessary to be comfortable.
I did stay overnight. It was an option to stay or go. I wanted to stay overnight. I was afraid if there were complications, I wanted to be there. It was like a luxury suite and everyone is so great in the hospital. I wanted to relax and just sleep right away and not try and get up and get in a car right after a big surgery.
Thank you for your reply! I have had a consult with one PS already but he uses drains & I am really leaning towards no drains. I have a hernia as well & muscle separation that also needs to be fixed. Can I ask a few questions? How long did your surgery take? Did insurance pay for any of your hernia repair? I didn't know if the Dr. Would submit that or not. Lastly, are you back to normal now with no regrets? I need to schedule a consult with your Dr. I did google him & am very interested in meeting with him. I want to get this done in the fall. I am so sick of the way my stomach looks!
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Truly amazing progressive doctor. He is a leader in his field. Google him and you will find a wealth of info about techniques he invented and teaches other surgeons.