Surgisil Needs to Revise the Shape of the PermaLip Implant - Tulsa

I’m getting real close to 50 yrs old. I have...

I’m getting real close to 50 yrs old. I have wanted a permanent lip implant for years but have not been satisfied with available options so just kept waiting. After seeing a couple of nice examples come out of the plastic surgeon’s office down the hall, I shot in like a rocket. That was three weeks ago. I have mixed feelings about it now. The Perma Lip Implants don’t look as good on my aging, southbound mouth as they did on the younger women that I saw. There is still some swelling and soreness so I will give it more time, but right now I think I look like a duck billed platypus.

Last week I searched for pictures of the PermaLip Implant and read reviews. A few people mentioned that the corners of their bottom lip drooped, and one person said she looks like a fish. Each week my lip looks better but I can see definite room for improvement on the design or shape of the implant for the bottom lip. I have no complaints for the upper lip implant. I’ll try to explain this as short & simple as possible. I am posting a few pictures to assist my explanation, but don’t want to put my before & after pics until I have given it enough time to know for sure what I am ending up with.

Looking at the picture of the Surgisil PermaLip Implant, It is mostly the same thickness the entire length except for a short length of tapering at the ends. Unless your lips have that natural pout or hammock slope in the bottom middle, this implant puts too much thickness too far out to the sides when it should have been tapering in much sooner. Also, when it does taper in, it does so too quickly. It needs a smoother transition. As a result of this unwanted thickness in the last half inch or so near the mouth corners, my mouth looks more down turned and my husband said it looks like I am frowning all the time. My bottom lip looks fine if I am smiling – which picks up the corners and stretches the length so it doesn’t look the same thickness end to end. I’m thinking ahead for options in case this look doesn’t improve after a couple of months. Options might be a lip corner lift, but that looks awkwardly lifted if you have a face-lift after that. I plan to have an endotine facelift in the future but don’t need it yet. I could make the shape look a little better with lipliner or permanent makeup, but I want to fix the real problem, which is the shape of the implant. I could ask the plastic surgeon to sell me a replacement for the bottom, but before inserting it hand me sterile gloves and sissors so I can shape it myself.

It would be great to speak with someone at Surgisil about design improvements for lower lip implants. They could even offer options for people that have one side of their mouth thinner than the other. I am an artist, permanent makeup artist, and plastic surgery nurse. It is my passion to know how something should be shaped, and what can be done to get it that way.

Paul Howard, MD

I have seen many beautiful facelifts etc performed by my Dr. I have even seen nice lip implants done by him. In my case, the bottom lip implant that I'm not happy with is due to the design/shape of the implant itself. I was more unhappy with the way my lips were before, so I would do it again.

After opinions from my husband and sisters I'm still confused on what to do. The upper lip is way off. It causes a big wrinkle on my left side that was never there. They are lopsided. Seems the lower lip isn't centered either. It looks fine until I smile. Then it obviously is over to one side when my mouth stretches making one side of my lower lip look fatter. I don't know whether to try again, just correct the upper, or just have them out. I like the size of my lips. I got 5mm. Just wish they were centered.
Lol bad typo. Haha. Difficult to text on my tiny phone. will be prettier when these tubes are removed from my lips though...
I have had my permalip for one month. I am having them removed. they feel weird and awkward. 5 mm top and bottom. the bottom is too large for my face. the top one is not a great shape. I have always had beautiful results from Juvederm and have decided back to that. that. its more not true I'm pretty
In my case it took close to a year for the implants to feel soft. They still aren't in the right position, the top is too high so it looks like Bart Simpsons, but they are quite soft. Hang in there.
If your SurgiSil implants are hard now, they're not going to get any softer. I finally had mine removed after 5 years and my lips injected with liquid silicon. They're now plump and soft and beautiful. Get rid of those car bumpers and move on.
I am thinking about getting permalip implant but would prefer the silicone.. I cannot find a doctor that does this. Can you help? I am in Michigan..
Dr. Angelo Cuzalina in Tulsa, OK is very good and does injectible silicone. He's head of the national cosmetic surgery association and might know a doctor in your area that offers this.

kimberlylynn, you can also click on the "Find a Doctor" tab near the top of the page. That will let you search by area, and you can then narrow your search by procedure or specialty. :)

Thank you for your help! :)
Thanks Megan P. I tried sending you a private message but it said I was unable to access that page... Did you have surgisil/permalip augmentation? Do you have any pics? I have had a consultation for this procedure and still trying to deside.

I've asked our Dev team to take a look and see if there is a problem with our private messaging system. I'm sorry you had difficulty with it.

No, I haven't tried any sort of lip augmentation. I'm the community manager, so just trying to add helpful tid-bits where I can. :)

Perma Facial Implant™ is manufactured from a very soft, but solid, silicone.
Perma Facial Implant™ is manufactured from a very soft, but solid, silicone.
be very careful using silicone!!! Look on u tube on silicone messes!!!
I had my SurgiSil implant 6 weeks ago and they are still hard. Anyone know SurgiSil's contact Ph#? Their website was having problem so couldn't send my question!
I had mine over two years and just finally removed them a few weeks ago never nevèr felt soft and even though my partner didn't feel them I did and even putting on lipstick was horrible
I am okay with the look but just like most they are still hard, and I agree they should be clear about how they really feel. I guess I will try and see if having them placed deeper will help. I am considering fat injections. Has anyone had thie done?
I've had my SurgiSil lip implant for over two years. My upper implant is visible and very hard to the touch. When I don't move my mouth it looks fine, but when I talk it puckers up like a guppy. I haven't kissed a guy in over two years because I'm afraid it would be like kissing a car bumper. My doctor is trying to fix it, but if it stays like this, I'll have it taken out and explore some other options. I want to be, and look, kissable.
Just a thought,,,it may be the Dr placed the tunnel on the top to close to your front...the tunnel must be correct,,,so sometimes it is not the implant...it is Dr placement. Just my thoughts!!LOL
I had Perma Facial Implants placed in my lips over two months ago and I haven't had any concerns or problems. On the contrary, my lips look amazing. I agree with cystal01 about the firmness... they are firmer than before, but the implants are quite comfortable. I don't notice them at all now that I've healed.

I contribute the success of my lip rejuvenation with these implants to a couple of things. First, the design and composition of the Surgisil product. Second, the skill and experience of my surgeon. He focuses solely on facial cosmetic surgery, has years of experience with a good reputation, and has done lip implants before. He took his time measuring my lips and determining the correct implant length. I believe another reason for my results is the natural shape and tissue volume of my lips. They were a good match for the implants.
I had my PermaLip Implants removed and repositioned. The PS said he was putting them a tiny bit deeper in the tissue. The results now are perfect !! Very natural and starting to soften.
Dear Cystal01,

Sounds like your procedure was a huge success and I'm so happy to hear your great news! Bryana
Hi Cystal01,

I'm having my re-do surgery in February, 4 months after my originally got my implants (5mm). I posted a question like yours on Surgisil website and got a phone calls from 2 of the doctors who trained my doctor how to do them. They were wonderful, and contacted my doctor to make sure my re-do is perfect. I suggest you get in touch with Surgisil.
I had PermaLip implants one week ago and the left side of my mouth is not right My top lip ,on the left side is lifted like I am snarling. The bottom left side is sagging a bit. It is not too bad when I wake up , but gets worse as the day goes on. I think my PS either positioned it incorrectly, or the size is too long. I got the 4 mm. They are comfortable - just a bit firm. I am going back tomorrow to see if they have to be repositioned. I hope I don't have an ongoing problem . The right side looks nice.
Hi Cystal,

I did a lot of research before having my PermaLip procedure. The best information that I received was from SurgiSil. I spoke with a woman named Lee Ann who was able to answer all of my questions. After speaking with her, I decided to definitely have the procedure. I'm extremely happy and I love my lips! I strongly suggest you give her a call. Without a doubt, she will have the answers to your questions. I'll be thinking about you. Please update me once you have spoken with her. Bryana