Septorhinoplasty-Finally Doing It After 20 Years! - Troy, MI

I have a dorsal bump made worse by a deviated...

I have a dorsal bump made worse by a deviated septum from an injury in College (guy goes to punch a guy at a frat party, guy ducks, hits me)! As I've grown older my bump has gotten more pronounced as has the deviated septum.

Ok so I did it! I've posted some 6 day post op...

Ok so I did it! I've posted some 6 day post op pics. Will post more after tape is off.

For anyone heading into surgery, I highly suggest...

For anyone heading into surgery, I highly suggest Dermablend makeup for the week after, it's used to cover bruises and tattoos. It really works well.

Well, I am one month since my surgery. Good news...

Well, I am one month since my surgery. Good news and not so good news.....My bones are straight and healing well, my profile looks great, BUT....my front lower septum shifted to it's original position! So my front view is in fact crooked. In 2 months I go back and have a smaller, shorter procedure done to put the tip back in it's straight spot. Frustrating, but I waited 20 years to do this so a 2 months wait will be worth it to have it done right. Grrrrr

I had my revision yesterday. Was put out as...

I had my revision yesterday. Was put out as before but much shorter procedure. My septum had shifted over so it was shifted back into place. I haven't needed any pain meds, just stuffy and runny and have some tape on my nose. Supposed to have stitches removed tomorrow.

I'm 5 months septum redo and 8 months original...

I'm 5 months septum redo and 8 months original surgery. I still have some tightness/tingling in the tip which can last up to a year so since I had that messed with in January it could be another 6 plus months of that. Otherwise, just some days where there is some swelling on and off on the side of my nose, but it depends on what I eat (salt) or drink (alcohol) or do heavy cardio (spinning or running). I will post some new pictures soon. The more I look at my old nose, the more I can't believe I waited so long to do it!

I am almost 1 year post septum redo and 14 months...

I am almost 1 year post septum redo and 14 months from the original surgery
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Golden has been doing this for a long time. He knows what he's doing and how to do it. He has a great eye and hand for what he does. Sometimes can be inconsistent verbally with what the plan is but overall cares about getting the agreed upon outcome.

My nose looks similar to your before. Did you have any other work done other than the septum. I am being set up for surgery in the next few week and want to make sure it will be what I expect. Which is my bump gone and nose straight and breathing would be nice too.. :)
Hello :) thank you for your review!! It was part of the reason why I went through Dr. Golden. I was wondering when you had the revision if he made any reduction to it as well... I'm almost a month and half out and Im a little impatient. i was wondering because your nose looks significantly smaller from one month to 5 months... You look amazing by the way!
When I had the revision he only touched the septum and didn't have to disrupt everything else like with the first major surgery with breaking, etc so that is why my swelling went down so quickly after the revision. Hard to be patient but you will swell on and off throughout the year depending on what you eat and if you work out, etc. It's just a waiting game, but of course you are the one who notices it the most. Hang in there.
When I had the revision he only touched my septum and did a couple internal stitches unlike the original surgery where there was breaking involved. So...not as much swelling. I had swelling on and off throughout the first year depending on what I ate and how much I worked out. Hang in there, it's just a waiting game. Would love to see your pics.
That is good to hear! I do notice that different days it is more swollen than others too. I did see that you posted on my page... I'm hoping that everything will turn out and I'll try to be more patient :) i will continue to post pictures as I heal as well. Thank you for responding so quickly.
I actually gasped aloud at the second-to-last pic, the profile shot. It's SO cute! Seriously what a huge difference! I'm going with Dr. Golden too and I hope mine turns out somewhat similar (I say "somewhat" because while yours fits your face, it might not be perfect for mine lol).
Your new nose is so cute and feminine =) I hope mine turns out similar! I'm going with Dr. Golden too.
Your nose is pretty amazing!!! Were you charged for your revision???
No. He said he would keep revising at for no cost until I was happy.
Your nose looks so great! The profile looks really cute and feminine. My nose looks like yours did and I'm patiently waiting for my primary in March. Thank you so much for posting your photos and sharing your story!
So it is safe to do a septum shift repair so soon after surgery? My septum is still leaning to one side as well, and I have a residual hump after surgery a few weeks ago. I feel my doc is competent, I suppose I had a complicated case and this procedure isn't always so simple. He is supposed to call back today and I would love for it to be safe enough to do in a few months. You chose to have the original surgeon correct it, yes? And did you only have to pay facility fees the second time around? Sorry for all of the questions, but any insight is greatly appreciated.
You can work on the septum a few months after just not the the main part (nasal bones) of the nose. Dr. Golden doesn't charge for redos or touch ups. He said he would operate 10 times if I wasn't happy. (not that I would do that!)
SCB how were you immediately after the redo? You said it wasn't as bad as the first time around - less bruising and swelling. Did you have to have someone drive you home again?
Well that is the sign of a great doc! I have read so many times "don't let a surgeon who messed up the first time do your revision" but, I really do love my surgeon and I can't say that this was an error on his part. This is a tricky procedure and I know he did the best anyone could have at that time. It is nice to see the positives of letting the original surgeon fine tune a nose after a primary. It's unfortunate when it has to happen, but somethings are not apparent until after all is said or done. It's not always a case of a doc not knowing their stuff. Thanks so much for sharing!
Thank you for sharing your story! Even though you did have to get a revision, your story has helped me set aside some of the fears I have of my upcoming surgery. Thank you and you look beautiful
You look beautiful SCB! May I ask how your septum shifted after your first surgery? Did it shift on it's own? Did Dr. Golden say what might have attributed to that? Certainly a bummer, but your end result is gorgeous!
Not really sure. The septum is like a credit card in thickness and has memory. It was like that the minute after he took my cast off. In doing my research it can be from memory of the septum or not enough internal integrity left in place.
Thanks. How tricky it all is!
SCB71 would you update please? I'm particularly interested in your experience because I'm getting ready to get my revision in the next few months and would love to know what to plan for around my work. In terms of bruising, breathing, swelling. Also, after the shifted septum was corrected, does it now look perfectly straight?
Ok I posted a couple new pics. Are you having a complete redo? Or just the septum. I would say it is 95% straight. Probably only I notice the imperfection but I feel that it is still healing even after a year so it could continue to tighten. The top of my nose near the tip is still a little numb and swells on and off from time to time. I honestly feel like it may be another 6 months to another year before the tightness/numbness is completely gone. Overall I am happy I did it though.
That's so great! I'm not sure - I think he'll have to look at it before he can tell me if I'm going to need it redone completely, but I have a feeling it'll be a minor surgery. Btw the short hair is SOOOO gorgeous on you!
Thank you! If you just have to have the septum redo, it's a no brainer. I drove myself home the day after. Some swelling but nothing like the first time.
How were you immediately after the redo? Did you have to have someone drive you home again?
Thank you for the update! I think your nose looks just perfect!!! You must be soooo happy!