Finally! MI Rhinoplasty

I actually can't believe i'm posting this on the...

I actually can't believe i'm posting this on the internet- i'm kind of a private person, and this is way out of character. BUT, these reviews have been so helpful and encouraging to me, and I love the idea of being part of a group of people who are supportive,and who understand! So many of these reviews have hit home with me and it's been so nice to find people I can relate to. Plus, like so many of you have said- the only way people I know are going to find me on here is if they're considering having something done as well.

I realized when I was about 11 or so that my nose was HUGE and it become an ongoing embarrassment for me, to the point where my self-esteem is all but destroyed. Like many of you have said, I am very, very conscious of what angle I am being seen from. I literally hide from cameras, absolutely refuse to be video recorded and position myself at meetings, parties, etc. at places where people won't be able to see my profile whenever possible. I wear my glasses 100% of the time, even when I sleep. My husband (of 14 months) has never seen me without them. I know that sounds crazy, but I feel like the glasses minimize the look of my nose just a little and being seen without them actually terrifies me.

I work at a school,and at the begininning of this school year I decided it was time. My goal became to save pretty much every penny I made this year and get it done during summer break. I had never even told my husband that I was unhappy with my nose, and I think he was quite surprised. I expected him to say absolutely no to the surgery, but he was actually so sweet and understanding. His exact response was, "I think you're beautiful, but if it's important to you, then it's important to me." What a guy I found :-). So, I did hours and hours and hours (really) of research and found my doctor in Michigan. I really like the look of his work, and it's definitely a dramatic, noticeable change- while still looking natural. I did find a few bad reviews on my doctor (some with pictures) and while that scares me, I also realize that every single surgeon does make mistakes, or people may not heal correctly. I met with the doctor a few weeks ago, I liked him. I felt like I was meeting a celebrity with all the research I've done on here and other sites, lol. I felt a little rushed,but I understand he's busy. What we discussed (tenatively) was getting rid of the 'ball' on the end of my nose, shaving down the hump on the top, and taking the tip up. I wasn't clear if he would be breaking my nose but it seems like on the phone consult he said he would be. Some of his noses seem a little too upturned for me, I don't know if that would look good on me or not. He said for me he would go for more of the straight look, my nose wouldn't be scooped out. I meet with him again in May to discuss exactly what he's gonna do for sure.

Things i'm worried about: I have two kids, a one year old and a five year old that I need to be able to take care of. It's going to be hard enough to be gone for a few nights when I have the surgery, but I'm mainly worried about being able to take good care of them while I'm healing. Of course, worried something will go wrong and need to be fixed. My doctor does free 'touch-ups' which is great, so long as he's not retired! This may sound like a strange worry, but I'm a Christian,and I worry that I'm doing something really vain and sinful, and that God is against it. Has anybody else had this worry? I did some research on it, and most people didn't think it was wrong, some equated it to getting your hair dyed,except obviously a surgery is a very different thing lol. So, that's been on my mind a lot. My doctor does concsious sedation which at first I was very nervous about but the more research I do,the better I feel about it.

Well, that's about all I have for now! If anybody has any thoughts or advice for me, I would love it, right now I am so excited and it's hard feeling like I don't have anyone who I can talk to about this, which is a huge reason I'm writing this review. Thank you :-)

Hi, TC! :) Thanks for sharing your story here. I just had primary rhinoplasty surgery on February 13. Recovery so far has been tolerable, albeit I am quite swollen and bruised. There isn't nearly as much pain as there is discomfort. It pretty much feels like I have a very serious sinus infection. As already mentioned, everyone heals differently. My sister had rhinoplasty in December (performed by the same surgeon as me) and she healed very quickly with barely any swelling or bruising at all. She clearly has superhuman healing capabilities! I haven't been as lucky unfortunately. I'm just taking it one day at a time and reminding myself that this is a temporary state of being. That is really all anyone can do. Please do not let your surgeon rush you. This is a very delicate procedure and he should be open to address any questions or concerns you may have. Don't settle with him if you have the slightest gut feeling he will not perform the surgery to your satisfaction. I'm not religious, but I don't believe God will judge you for undergoing this surgery. I say if you're happy, God is happy and He will support you throughout the way. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer them. Best of luck to you! :)
If you use the homeopathic remedy SInecch, exactly according to instructions, your procedure will go much smoother. I had nose and lower face lift done and I left the hospital at 1pm in no pain whatsoever with my nose and face. The pain from facelift didn't start until later that night. The nose NEVER hurt. I had two septum surgeries before that and with both, no pain ever. They did not break my nose and I hear that can hurt a bit sometimes. But with the Arinca/Sinecch it helps to heal faster, produces less swelling, little to no bruising and less pain, if any. I also use Staphysagria (helps heal surgical wounds) and Hypercurium (helps nerve injuries) - both from health food store and cheap. Sinecch is on Amazon and MakeMeHeal.com (which also sells two great surgical vitamin supplements I swear by). If you prepare you body with these things, you will be so much better off. I have used all these for surgeries with my animals as well and had vets who were blown away at how fast and clear they were out of surgery and how fast they healed. For my facelift/nose surgery I went in for first check up 20 hrs after the surgery and he said I looked like I was 1 & 1/2 weeks into recovery compared to his other patients. This preparation can make a HUGE difference. My second septum surgery (he added in cartilage grafts on both sides of the nose which he took from middle of the nose and also shaved down a bump in the middle of my nose) and the next morning I told the friend I was staying with that I was driving home (1 hour) because I felt fine. I've repeated surgeries because I haven't had a doctor yet that got it right. Choose your doctor carefully . Get as many opinions as you can until your instinct is 100% solid on your choice. Women are always regretful when they ignore their instinct, right? It's a gift from God, use it wisely. And pray for the right one too if that is your belief system. You've made a good decision, now pray for support and guidance. If you were born without an arm, God would be ok with you getting a new arm, right? You are trying to fix something that would make your life easier and smoother which in turn will make your family life happier, your movement in the world better. Think of God providing the money and time to do it as His gift to you! And if you can find some people who have had work done, ask them what they think about their experiences. Even if they haven't had this procedure, their thoughts could help. Don't be rushed! : )
I don't care how busy he may be, you should not feel rushed. This decision is big. You do not want to feel rushed afterwards when you have concerns. Listen to your heart. Follow it.
Don't fear, if God don't condemn you, then who is anyone else to. Don't condemn yourself. Be at peace.

Thank you so much for starting your story on RealSelf. It's an honor that you've shared here. Truly. Curious who your Michigan doctor is (or at least in which city). I had my first rhinoplasty done in Lansing.

Here's what some doctors say about choosing the right surgeon for your nose.

Please continue to keep us posted as you get closer! I'm excited to watch your transformation.

I'm using dr. Golden in Troy. A recent review on here has me a little worried...I've already put down my down payment; so I hope I made the right decision...
Shop around. I have had better feedback talking to boyfriends or husbands of women who have had rhinoplasty. The guys seem to actually remember the full horror of the recovery and the girls tend to forget. Perhaps a natural thing we do so that we will actually have more the one child birth experience. You know what I mean? Take care in choosing a doctor, make sure they answer all your questions, bring in photos of what you want and be clear about what you want. Expect excellent results from your facial doctor. Recovery is different for everyone, so be prepared for what ever happens. Take it easy, and plan on having help, even a paid live in helper if you have young kids. Big dogs, and kids are dangerous for your nose, as even a tiny hit to the nose can be very bad. Read everything, and get a doctor who has something printed out in detail that you can take with you to read before the surgery as I am not sure I have ever seen details available at any web site. Nothing useful. I find that most doctors really do not tell you how bad it can be, but my surgery was not what I would call a success and as yet I still have more follow up to attend to. Don't just talk to people with positive stories, get the other side too as it's important. My doctor was at the top of the price range for my town and the same cost as another popular surgeon; people always ask why I didn't go to the other Doctor. My answer is that I really thought this doctor would take care of me and do the fixes I asked for. I now have a pig nose, or what's called a pig nose result. Very hard to fix as he cut too much off the front of my nose and it now looks uneven, and wrong for my face. It's still swollen and may take another year to be better healed. My friend said his girlfriend didn't like her new nose at all and it took almost two years for the swelling to go down before she finally started liking her nose. Her nose is perfectly straight and symmetrical by the way and it looks fabulous. I demand even and symmetrical results in a surgery and you should too. Good luck. As a thought, you may wish to hold off on surgery until your kids understand that your nose has had surgery and they need to be careful. A one year old could hurt you and damage the nose as well.
Its been almost four weeks for my surgery and i have a pigs nose :( i feel so embarrassed going out and going to work :'( i hope it will change to look better coz its so swollen n huge now.
Take care of your self. Keep an eye on it, but during your follow up visits, make sure you mention it. I was told that my nose could look really strange as it goes through the healing process. My nose is nearing the one year mark, so I am nervous. You need not be, just think positive and visualize the nose you want. You have a lot of time for healing to take place still. My friend said his girl friend wasn't happy at all, and it took almost 2 years for the swelling to be completely gone, then she was really happy. So, we both have a chance. However, I am concerned with the idea of revision surgery, when the original Docs should be there to do the work they promised. That seems reasonable since we pay so much for the surgery. I believe that at some point, if you have an issue with your results your Doctor should admit his fault and fix the error. Stay positive, it's too early for you to worry deeply. I understand feeling self conscious when you go out. No one recognized me, my mail man of 6 years didn't recognize me. I didn't say anything, but my daughter was with me...yet another flag as to who I was and we both agreed...he didn't know me. Sad. :( I've run into many issues. My high school reunion went okay, but all the photos are really bad. At some point I will post current photos and my progress photos, but I want to give the doc a chance to do the right thing first, if corrections are needed. I hope you will have the nose you wanted and were expecting. This healing period is not too fun. I have seen some results from the doc who did my surgery, and many look great right out of the splint. So, I am peeved to say the least. :)
I had rhinoplasty, septoplasty and a sinus surgery in one day three weeks ago. You honestly need to get some rest the first two weeks. You wont be able to bend down, and do much work so I suggest having someone to help you take care of your kids. My mom was with me for one week because I was in so much pain. Sleep with your head elevated as it helps alot and the pain killers wont let you get much sleep. Today was my first day back to work because I had three weeks off for recovery but I think mine was more compliacted because of the holes they drilled in my forhead area for drainage. I hope you recover easily and smoothly. Good luck!!!
Thanks for the advice! I don't know if I'll be able to kidnap my mom for that long lol, maybe my sister. I don't know much at all about the recovery so I appreciate the heads up :-)
No worries. Keep us updated :) take care!
Your nose does not look large to me!