Tummy Tuck - A 30 Year Old Woman's Personal Story (w/ Video)

A little about me: I'm a 30 year old...

A little about me:

I'm a 30 year old married mother to one. I live in Toronto, Canada and I'm an entrepreneur/domestic engineer. In 2004 I became pregnant with my son and had a wonderful pregnancy. Somehow unbeknownst to me during the nine months I gained 100lbs and went from a 27" waist to a 56" waist. Totally in denial that I was gaining weight, and too much! My weight skyrocketed from a slim 160lbs to 260lbs and although I am 5'10 in height and carried it somewhat well, the damage done to my tummy was horrendous. Over the next few years I managed to naturally bring my weight back down to the 160 - 170 range through exercise and diet that consisted of mostly natural and clean eating, portion control, lean protein sources, complex carbs, fruits, veggies and good fats.

Once I reached my personally acceptable weight, a size 8 in clothing, I never felt as though I accomplished anything spectacular physically because I carried these "tires" around my belly and no matter how much work I did, nothing helped my mid-section. Psychologically it was a barrier for me, in terms of overall happiness and self-appreciation.

So, began the begging and pleading for a new tummy. It took about a year of convincing both myself and my partner that this procedure was the right thing for me. We both knew that I would never be happy with the baggage I carried in my midsection, and I wanted to be rewarded for my hard work and success at weight loss. I wanted my outside to reflect my lifestyle and my discipline. I was tired of feeling insecure that people were judging me because of the bulge.

I went on a few consultations with various doctors in my local area and through research found a doctor who was a resident surgeon at a local hospital here whom I used for scar revision surgery a few years back. Through my research, his name came up as one of Toronto's best and I saw that he was practicing in a medical spa and was an assistant Professor at the University I couldn't help but feel that it was meant to be, so to speak.

On January 22nd, off I went for the consultation, he, my husband and I spent a little over an hour together going through the nitty-gritty of the procedure and what to expect in terms of what I would look like etc, and by the end of it all, I was booking the biggest procedure of my life for February 26, and walked away from his office truly on cloud nine. I was ecstatic and called everyone I knew close to me to share my good news.

Spent the next month in ecstasy, terror, anxiety, elation, panic and pretty much every other emotion under the sun. Decided to make a video blog and written blog to capture it all, and I also joined a forum, in my opinion the best resource for women seeking a tummy tuck or various forms of plastic surgery. The women on this group helped me beyond words, through my ups and downs, pre and post op. Looking back now, still an active member, the gals have become like family to me.

My procedure was a cinch, again, no pun intended there. I spent the night in their spa, was on morphine and then percs and was in love with the world. The next few days are a bit of a haze and by day 9 I believe post Op I was free of pain medication and doing amazing.

I am now exactly 4 weeks post op and completely back to normal in terms of my usual activities. I am working out daily ( lower intensity and no core work), I am happy, energetic, excited about my new tummy and so happy that I did this for me!

I don't have "cons" so to speak, I guess the only thing that bogs me down is the fact that my lower body has swelled beyond recognition, and at four weeks I have yet to see relief to this. I went from a medium pant size, or size 8 here in Canada to an XL/Size 14. In my head it is hard to swallow, and at times it really gets me down. Sometimes I feel as though the universe is playing a cruel joke on me. Then the rational me snaps back and says, its temporary and will pass. My lymphatic system is severed, my body is healing from a major trauma, I must be kind to it, even in my mind.

Other than that, this has been a great experience for me, and I am grateful and thankful that my results have turned out the way that they have. I feel blessed to have found a Surgeon that in my opinion put my end results and desires above anything else and worked really hard to make me look exactly how I envisioned it in my head.

In terms of my procedure, I had a full tummy tuck with over 1.5 hours of muscle repair, from my understanding I had about an inch of muscle separation and he sewed them close to 4 inches together ( I hope I am articulating this correctly). He also removed about 400 cc's of fat from my flanks. My incision barely had a scab on it. It as if he sewed me from the inside out. The pain was very manageable and seemed to only worsen in the morning after a long night sleep. The only thing I was not prepared for was how debilitating it was going to be in terms of strength and mobility. I felt at times as if I was operating at 10% body capacity, but each week I got stronger and stronger until one day, last week some time I woke up and felt "gee I really feel like me again".

Would I do this procedure again? Absolutely, the transformation this has had on my soul is priceless!

Toronto Plastic Surgeon

Amazing surgeon, amazing medical spa, wonderful staff. He was able to give me exactly what I articulated to him in our pre-op consults. He sculpted me how I saw myself in my mind, his staff treated me like a queen, and the spa is so beautiful, what more could I ask for?

Thank you for all your posts. I am going in for a complete lower body lift with Dr. Adibfar and Dr. Bray in September. I found your posts to be very helpful. Thank you!
Wow you look amazing I pray my scar looks that great. I live in Hamilton ON and I am having a tummy tuck May 10th. It almost doesn't feel real I cant wait.
Ok need to know what kind of scar product you used! Looks great!
Wow, that is an amazing story. I live in New Brunswick, Canada and I found a great surgeon who studied in Toronto. I will be having a TT and lipo in the month of March 2011. Thanks for the information, it helps understand what I will be getting myself into and how the recovery time will effect my family. I have 2 boys, 9 and 12. They are very involved in sports and school activities, so that worries me a bit. My parents will come stay with us for a week or so, I'm hoping that it will be long enough for me to get back on my feet.

Foliebergère
You would need help for more than a week. It really takes time to be able to walk straight. I am at 3.5 weeks post and can not do much. I feel like 30% of my normal self. swelling, tight, can't stand in the kitchen for long, can't do anything in the house, no energy. It may depend on your age and general health but, this is a heavy duty surgery.If you are prepared there will be no surprises. You want help for at least 3 weeks if not more.
Does your pant size change after a TT?
Absolutely Fabulous, I am happy for you! Yes you can tell already so just imagine when your healing is over. I get my TT with Lipo of back and flanks with BBL in December. I am so excited.
I would also like to know what you used on your scar because it looks amazing!
Vaseline :-)
O my gosh girl You LOOK GREAT!!!! So happy for you!
Thank you! I am very pleased with my results!
WOW!!!!! you are looking so fab! With abs like that you can be on the cover of a fitness mag. Im hoping for results like yours
Thank you so much!
I've lost over a 100 as well. No children though. You look amazing!!! Congratulations. Appreciate you putting this out there.
Wow, no swelling at night! What are you doing! lol... I need that secret!
completely changed my diet and started working out everyday. No more processed foods, sodium or anything crappy. Total clean eating....I don't swell much at all now anytime of the day. Even with working out.
I haven't been fully cvleared to work out, but I have been walking a lot and doing strength training that I can. I agree with you on the processed foods! No more that crap. Congrats though, you look wonderful!
You look fabulous, girl! Thanks for your candor.
Thanks Angie :-)
Hey Angie, what happened to my videos?
Nat, The site just went through a major overhaul and something must've happened. Let me check into it!
I am having mine in one week and have a similar story to you. I am pretty nervous!
Good luck with your up coming surgery! I wish you all the best to a speedy recovery and amazing results to come!
Hey you look great! Are you using anything on your scar?
Hi Nicolemarie - At this stage I am using just vaseline. I was using polysporen when it was still open, then switched to vitamin E, but it didn't absorb that well so I switched to vaseline and I pretty much rub it all over my belly, back and sides and massage the incision every day twice a day. Thank you for the compliment!