6 weeks ans still having pain

I live in Toronto and had an arm lift as well as a...

I live in Toronto and had an arm lift as well as a breast lift 15 days ago. My breasts are good but my arms are far worse then I every expected. I went back to the PS yesterday and she put me on antibiotics. I reached with my left arm today and it's quite painful but not just on the incision - on the back of my arm as well. When I straighten my arms it hurts around on the inside of my elbow - maybe it's the swelling. I'm 56 years old so I guess we don't heal as well as we do in our 30s.

Anyway, how long did you take pain meds for - how long before you could not feel pain that is uncomfortable. Did you incisions look red and angry? Anyone with an infection?

Thanks - it's good to be able to ask.

It's now 6 weeks and I still have an wound about...

It's now 6 weeks and I still have an wound about the size of a quarter on my right arm and I'm in a fair amount of pain. I never expected this type of recovery. At least now I think I'm slowly getting better since up until this week I wasn't sure. I still have a long way to go. I saw my dermatologist for something unrelated and she was surprised at how slow the incisions were to heal. The skin on my elbows is quite tight - hopefully this will get better once the swelling goes down. On a positive note, my breast are good.

It's now been 10 1/2 weeks and I'm still having...

It's now been 10 1/2 weeks and I'm still having some pain. My incisions looks really red and thick. I would love to start scar therapy - would love to hear what others are doing for scar therapy and when did they start?

I saw my PS last week and she wants to re-do the...

I saw my PS last week and she wants to re-do the procedure. She was surprised and how lose my arms are. I have a bulge on both arms at the end of the incision near the break in the arm. My incisions are quite red and ugly and I just started the massage and silicone strips last week. She want's to wait a year from now to do the surgery so that means I have to live with bulge for a year and then it will be Spring/Summer and I'll be having to wear the compression garments and healing all over again. Not happy so far.

If you are having a difficult time healing... and the surgeon wants to re-do... I would like to know the name of the clinic... so I do not go there... I hope you will oblige because I am so ready to get rid of the excess skin! Hope you heal well and it will all be worth it!
Oh No- how awful for you, too go thorough it all again? That's why after my arm lipo I never did the AL. Didn't like the results and omg did it hurt for many many weeks. Im so sorry. You must be very confused and frustrated. My heart goes out to you. MissV
Thanks for your message.
My arms just in the past week are starting to feel normal and it doesn't hurt to straighten them, they are still swollen but the PS said 3 or more months. I'm just 2 months out from stitches removal this weekend coming up. I wear scar pads all day and at night I put scar away oil on them and then every evening massage them while watching tv or such. I think tha massage helps with the thickness as I think they look better in the a.m. once a week I wrap them tight from wrist to shoulder and stretch them out fully..this of course after taking a pain med. It helped I think.
I've never heard of scar pads but I'll go to my pharmacy tomorrow and check them out. Thanks for the advice. B.D.
I use scar away pads and when they are not on use scar away serum. To hold the pads in place I use the elastic mesh bandages. they stretch and can be worn under clothes and keep the pads in place.
I have sent you a email Vicki.. Gayle
BD- seeing your having problems and I am so sorry. I get it. I posted something further along for you as well. Can you see anything positive at this point? Best, MissV- Vicki
Would you help me in discussing your arm lift? I had arm lipo 5 yrs ago and it was brutally painful- nerves inflamed and soooo tight. Terrified to do the AL but I need it. Is your pain from the nerves, tightness, incision healing? Will I be able to get up and down using my hands as I had a very bad back and my legs arent strong enuf to get up with.... Hope youre doing well and will help me- Im Vicki at TROTTERLEG@aol.com. Thanking you in advance..
Aww... Hope you are pain free soon... Sorry to hear your in pain still... Well atleast your arms look great :)
I had the same issue with the straightening of the arm and also a fine red/pink line going across by the inside of my elbow. My doc believed it might have been an infection and put me on antibiolics. I went on them on tuesday and this is only thursday and I can not straighten the arm yet bu tthe line has gone. He also said the swelling might have causes a nerve to get "caught up" and causing the pain to straighten it. I will be one month out on monday. My incistions looked very angery till the last few days and i put vitamin E oil on them every day and will use Scar away silicone patches once I'm well healed.
I'm now 5 weeks and I'm still having quite a bit of pain and take either Advil or Codeine almost every 4 hours. I can straighten my arm now. I have a "wound" on my left arm that is quite sore. I'm putting a dressing on it every other day and I'm not to shower in between. It's quite gross. My doctor's assistant told me to expect 6 weeks but it looks like I'll be longer. I really never expected this type of recovery!
I'm so sorry to hear it. I feel much better in the last week besides the straightening out and when you feel the nerve regenerating and have that OUCH!. Never know with surgeries, which will be a breeze and which won't. Hoping you feel better soon. Gonna post my 1 months pic's on my profile in a bit.
Im contacting all you girls to get a idea of this AL. Why do you think youre going to do about this nerve pain. After my armlipo I was in agony and my arms were very hot, tight, tingly and throbbing. Is that what the AL is like? Id really appreciate ANY answers you might be able to give me. Im not worried about the incisions but need to be able to straighten my arm(s) to get up and down as I have weak legs from 4 back surgeries. Much appreciated- Im Vicki in NY- TROTTERLEG@aol.com
Oh no this is exactly what I experienced after my arm lipo except there were no long incisions. It looks like from everyones postings that the pain is brutal and I wont be able to use my arms to get off the chair, bed or toilet. Need to use my arms as I have a very bad back. Maybe Ill never have this surgery and I need it. Any suggestions Id really like. Im Vicki at TROTTERLEG@aol.com. THanking you BarbieDarby in advance. God speed healing...
I wish I had done more research - I think my doctor just wasn't experienced enough. My arms feel really tight still and the skin is pulling in. I'm really trying to lose some weight (I have about 10 lbs to lose) to see if that helps. I used my arms right away but it would be difficult if you needed your arms to get up, etc. I look at this big incisions and my still large arms and I'm just not sure it was worth it. Good luck making your decidsion.
Spoke to my PS friend and he doesnt like to do it due to recovery and incision. As much as I want this done I dont know if Im willing to suffer like i did with the arm lipo. Maybe hiding is my only solution. I know that the recovery for arms is tough but it eventually went away. Im convinced that the large amount of swelling and nerve regeneration is the reason for the long, slow recovery. I hate myself (arms) as they used to be spaghetti sized. Aging, genetics, and time have left me with these luggers. I hope you will stay strong and know that this will pass. Im never really satisfied with any procedure Ive had done except my breast reduction. Our expectations and reality arent always linked together. Thank you for the rsvp and give it time.