Dr. Dupere is Highly Skilled! - Toronto, ON

I needed a chest wall reconstruction after a...

I needed a chest wall reconstruction after a botched chest surgery. I wasn't sure if I could go through with it because my first experience was so awful.
I knew that it would be a huge challenge and that I would need a very skilled surgeon to do this work for me, but I couldn't fit clothes that I wanted to wear and my chest really was awful looking after my first surgery.
I decided to travel from Winnipeg to Toronto to have this procedure done, with Dr. Dupere. I had a Skype consultation with him beforehand, and he was confident that he could help me. I felt confident as well.

1 Week Post-Op Before and After

This was my chest 1 week after surgery. Before was a horror show!
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

I had a chest wall reconstruction with Dr. Dupere after a traumatic botched double mastectomy (I am a female to male transgendered person). From the beginning of my contact with Dr. Dupere and his staff, especially Joyce, who is incredible, I felt comfortable. Even though I was ashamed and felt horrible about how I looked, there was no hint of rudeness or judgment about my body. I honestly thought I was beyond repair but when I got to Toronto and entered Dr. Dupere's office for the first time, I started to feel genuinely hopeful. Never once did Joyce or Dr. Dupere make me feel like I was a lost cause. He was, however, honest with me about expectations, which I appreciated. I never once felt rushed or like I was an inconvenience. My results, even at this stage of the healing process, make me feel like a million bucks. Dr. Dupere has a gentle hand and after such a traumatic first surgery it was healing to have someone treat my body so well. All I can say is that I am forever grateful to Dr. Dupere for fixing my chest and for showing me that being a surgeon doesn't make you callous and rude. My faith in humanity has been restored! When I had my final appointment with Dr. Dupere, he assured me that though I wouldn't be in Toronto any longer, he would continue to be available to me to answer questions or speak to doctors (because I'm not fully healed yet). Dr. Dupere is trans-friendly, a skilled surgeon, and a person who takes his time to make his patients feel worthwhile and cared for. I could not have asked for anything better. I'm wearing shirts I could have never worn before! I feel great. Not only does my chest look better than I ever thought it would, but I feel like I had a real experience with a real doctor who valued me.

Hey there :) just checking in to see how you are feeling, are you still having the pain near your armpit?
My armpit feels a lot better. I just feel like my chest is filled with Novocaine! I am still uncomfortable walking for long periods and that same armpit is numb when I put on deodorant. I think my body is just doing its best to heal. It went through a lot in the past seven or eight months.
Hey, how's things going?
Pretty good. I feel like my scars are healing well and things still look even. I've been doing a hardcore skincare routine that I didn't think I could keep up but have, so I feel good about that. I still have that "someone poured anbesol into my chest cavity" feeling, but it's finally going away. I feel good. I can't wait to start working out, but I don't feel ready yet!
Good to hear, do you mind if I ask what your skin care routine consists of?
Your revision looks really great. I'm glad you had a positive second experience after what you must have gone through with the first.
Woah! So happy for your results. If you're comfortable, what happened before the first surgery? Your afters are so amazing!
My first surgeon performed the wrong type of surgery for my body type; I had a D cup chest and he did a periarolar incision. What I've been told is that I had a series of post-surgical infections that made for some lengthy hospital stays and heavy-duty antibiotics. I then had a necrotic infection and my nipple died and fell off - I had lots of hematomas and seromas aspirated. My chest was flattish through all of that but a month after I was out of hospital that is what I was left with. I believe it was scar tissue mostly. It was a horrible ordeal.
Dear lord! I'm so sorry about that...I'm so happy you got this revised and the chest you desired and deserve. Love your new results. Keep us posted on your healing.
Great results!
Your final result looks AMAZING! Thank you for sharing.
thanks!
Oh wow, wonderful results - thank you for taking the time to share your side by side photo. This will be encouraging for others who may have experienced something similar.

I am glad you are recovering well.
So glad you shared your story with us! Sorry that you had a bad experience the first time around. It's great you were able to connect with a doctor who was able to help you and give you your confidence back! Do you have any photos you are willing to share with us?
I have a preliminary before and after but am still waiting for my grafts to match colour.. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks post-op. but yes! I will post my one week post-op before and after
Great, thank you so much - look forward to your photo update. How are you feeling?
How do I upload?
never mind. I just wasn't signed in.
I'm feeling really good, though my armpit is really sore and I can't figure out why. Other than that every day is easier. It was a major surgery.