Bio Alcamid Disaster - Toronto, ON

Had numerous infections (severe) the latest...

Had numerous infections (severe) the latest occurring july 2012. Infection resulted in massive swelling requiring emergency surgery. Surgery took as long as heart by-pass surgery, was very complicated according to the surgeon. Had to go in before the abscess caused sepsis. the hole in my face was 3cm by 3cm by 1cm and required packing of the hole for the first month. The experience was incredibly painful both physically and psychologically. Was not able to do anything for the summer. Am looking for person's with similar experience who would be willing to be interviewed by CBC Canada for an in depth story. I've been after them for some time to do such a story.

The no accountability is what is driving my goal. If you have had a similar experience and are willing to speak you, please email me.

cheers

loonie

So, some weeks later, still no accountability,...

so, some weeks later, still no accountability, though since I posted there has been a lot of weirdness, from some dr's. I've got a scar on my face, which is not the worst of it. I'm a little cautious about making postings, cause who knows who is watching. I'll let you know if anything comes of my experience. In the meantime, the more people that contact CBC go public, the better. I can't do this alone, I really need people to step up and tell their stories to make a difference. Cheers

Mona Loutfly

it was a research study about lipoatrophy and HIV/AIDS.

Please, I need help. Exactly passint this nightmare since some years ago, but since two month ago...I has been getting very dangerours and deep terrible and requiring emergency surgery for two times in three days since I was still in the hospital... at the moment, with medicacion. The experience was and it is being incredibly painful, the same, both physically and psychologically . Not able to do anything. And my job suffering the consecuences too because I am commercial agent and how can I do my visits to the clients... and no able to control the rest of my life around because the problem. Please, Could I find some one nearer of my place with similar problem? o whererver I could contact with... (I live in Madrid - Spain) Thanks for the attention, from me (Deeply sad and desperate)
Hi, I live in Holland. I don't know someone in Madrid. The only thing I know is that you need antibiotica. That's the only thing that could help. Here in Holland we have a plastic surgery doctor who helped a lot patients with permanent fillers.
Thank you so much, thenetherdlands. You are very kind. I have been with antibiotic, two operations in my face in three days and still with corticoides!... I have a good plastic surgery doctor beside mi with this problem, but, I need to contact with people with the problem in order to get much, but very much more information about everythin this product and the company, and where they are actually, and so... and, again, thank you very much your attention and reply
Please, be aware of corticoides. I have had these also. The result is a thin atrophic (red) skin under my eye. The company is Polymekon (Italy). But the fabric is already gone. Bio-Alcamid Técnicamente: gel de poliacrilamida hidrófilo inyectable. El fabricante Progen (ahora Polymekon), en 1999, pronunció un producto fabricado por la Bioform ruso llamado Formacryl. Sin embargo, en 2000, la empresa Progen-Polymekon, han formulado un producto similar, del 5% al ​​3,5% de poliacrilamida, llamado Bio-Formacryl. La página web de Bio-Formacryl fue repentinamente redirigido a la de Polymekon. Los folletos publicitarios en 1999,2000 y 2001 dieron como resultado casi idéntico, cambiando el nombre de Formacryl Formacryl Bio-Bio-Alcamid. En los EE.UU., el sitio web, de pronto citó exactamente: Formacryl / Argiform: la primera agua de endoprótesis. La página web de la Polymekon hoy contiene algunas discrepancias en cuanto al porcentaje de poliacrilamida Bio-Alcamid van 3-4%. El Polymekon anuncia el retiro fácil, y por lo tanto la reversibilidad del producto a través de micro-incisión y apremiante: en el consentimiento informado se ofreció a presentarle al médico y lo han firmado por el paciente, se hace constar que el paciente es consciente de que no es posible garantizar la eliminación completa!
I Understand, but the case is that we never at least me (since 2004) anyone told me about the horrible consecuences and of course not about the problems throught the years...that they are getting harder and more dangerous. In this case, my Dr. has beeing trying to getting out the product in the way they say but not with the results and as the time has been passing the product has being reacting worse and worse. It is in my face. cheekbone. but seeming it is running through other places into my face, as up and under my eyes. Again, thank you very much for your reactie and your attention and information. Keep on contact.
I think we have a livetime problem! The people who injected us, have caused serious problems. It's really horrible. I was operated several times also. I seems like it is growing again all the time.
Yes, that is right and that is the question... so... it is the reason now it is the time because I need to know the truth all about this product, the company, the persons and why it is allowed about the health system
it is allowed because they have got a E-brand in the past. In Switserland it was never allowed (report from 2002). The fabric was Polymekon. The owners were two brothers Protopappa. Since 2006 there is a report in Holland that it is bad stuff, but it isn't forbidden.
really? so, do you mean in spite in Holland is well know the dissaster... they are allowing it but with other name maybe, or the company?... and getting so incredible economical profits because this product
The Minister of Health said: "it is bad stuff and docters who are using it, are acting against the law. But she do not prohibit it because she wants to help people with a tremendous trauma. I find it incredible. This mess will only deliver people more problems. I guess they can not refuse it because of the limited E status. This is valid in all participating European countries. Therfore, it is forbidden in Switzerland. They don't belong to the participation. Lucky one.
Of course, I agree with you. And I have friends in Holland and i have traveled to the Netherlands and dutch tv i see a lot and calls me a lot of attention all what you talking. Leaves me perplexed and astonished.
is it possible that you can send me a link to the 2002 position by Switzerland?
I just want to add my highest recommendation for Dr. Oren Goldan in Tel Aviv, a wonderful plastic surgeon who has also been praised by others on these forums. He understands Bio Alcamid extremely well since he has handled over 200 cases (the product was heavily promoted in Israel and may even remain available there). Dr. Goldan has developed some innovative approaches for filler removal based on ultrasound guidance and a micro-irrigation technique. You can look up his medical articles for more details. I flew from Asia on an emergency basis to be treated by Dr. Goldan in Israel after developing a classic Bio Alcamid infection on my face. My case was extremely difficult as I had a lot of the material injected under my eye and it became infected seven years later. MASSIVE swelling followed and my head was quite deformed when I first saw Dr. Goldan. (My pictures were worse than any I have seen posted on these forums.) Due to the location of the filler my vision was threatened and I also ran the risk of a brain infection. (Fortunately, Dr. Goldan also has expertise as an opthalmologist.) Dr. Goldan carefully supervised my hospitalization and a course of intravenous antibiotics. After extracting the maximum amount of Bio-Alcamid possible using conventional aspiration techniques, Dr. Goldan implanted an irrigation system near the main abscess. Drainage was conducted a few times a day. Every time the drainage was performed more filler was released along with infected material. Within one week of treatment I was 95% back to normal and I had zero scarring. It is true that doctors cannot remove every bit of the material. But Dr. Goldan removed all but the hard portions that have become totally fused with the tissue. This greatly minimizes the possibility of infection recurrence. If you want to connect with Dr. Goldan you can contact me at mario (at) mail2bangkok dotcom and I will pass you his details. Or you can try to look him up in Tel Aviv.
Mario. Please,How could I see your pictures, because I am having a very similar problem so you know how is my suffer and deep desperate. My Pictures, are so recently ,.... and still with the problem, of course... but requiring emergency surgery two times in three days I was still in the hospital. At the moment still with medication
Hi Mario, is you're mailaddress right? I would love to see a picture of you and I am also interested in dr. Goldan. In 2004 I had a body packing bio-alcamid in my face just under my eyes ( I didn't knew that). I wasn't informed. Therefore my docter got an official warning. Please, will you write you're address again? I was operated a several times. There is still al lot of bio-alcamid in my face. It is not only difficult to remove (small particels), but I am getting more and more scars and damage in my face.
Hello Mario, I think that maybe the only way anything can happen is if everyone in every country starts to make noise about this issue. This week is gay pride here in Toronto, I was trying to organize some people to have a booth to sign a petition, but everyone is too afraid. I am stilling working to get some help from the government. The only thing that I can say, is that since this huge lie, I can never trust another doctor, you have to be very careful about what they tell you, especially if they tell you that they have found a way to do something. I think that in The Netherlands some doctors have developed some good procedures and like said, this is a problem for life. In the world today, there are many bacteria that can not be treated with anti biotic. Those of use who have many infections are targets of these super bacteria, with every time you have an infection, you become more open to worse ones. That is not good news, but maybe to push you to get the people around you to know what is going on. To contact, which we can not do here. It is very difficult, if we do not give up. I don't know if you have seen a movie called 'MIIS. ENVERS' BOYS. If you can find this movie watch it and you will see what I mean about medical experiments. Sorry you are having a bad time, I hope you have some friends and family that can help you, to lift your spirit.
Mario, it's great that you were able to travel for many that is just not possible. For me this is an experiment uncovered, but for some reason unaccounted for. My guess is that there was a lot of money to be made by developing another plastic procedure to enhance youthfulness. The science in medicine is the us who are being engaged to try new things without being warned about the dire consequences, often by people we trust or think we can trust, doctors. It feels so much like the scandal that has been plaguing the RC for years now with child abuse and molestation. Priests were also to be trusted and there you go. It's not all, I guess even a minority, but covered up and protected for the 'greater good' of some power so it can continue to maintain a power without impunity. To carry some power to decide what is moral and what is rubbish. Please if you haven't seen the movie Mrs. Envers' Boys, give it a look. It's the same thing but on a much larger scale this time.
So sorry for what you're going through. I'm having pain hard nodules discoloration and swelling from a filler disaster as well! This is the worst thing!
I wish that there was more that I could do to make a difference for all of us that are facing such horrible and unacceptable circumstances. It's bad enough to have to deal with the real physical pain and bleak future. What makes me really really mad and destitute is that doctors and in general health care has kicked us to the curb, like yesterdays trash.
latest update from Canada. I got a short email from Health Canada last week telling me that they have rescinded the approval for bio alcamid in Canada. The first huge step in this queer and perilous journey obfuscated with walls, smoke and everything but the truth and accountability. I have had a message delivered to a minister -critic of health - with an introduction, so that she'll know who I am. My complaint to the college of physicians and surgeons will be decided on in the next month or so. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm not expecting much. With the federal government's move, there is still a long way to go. I just spend another two week walking about the house with a hip pump, even had to sleep with it. It dispensed anti biotic treatment 24 hours a day. One of the docs I saw in er told me that as I continue to get more infections, they will get harder to treat as the bacteria morphs into a super bug. This time around I was on 4 anti biotic combo. It's getting a little more weird, the infection was in my foot (left same side as face infections). They did a ct, ultrasound(twice) xrays, doplar and there were no strains fractures or any other physical reasons for an infection. My foot ballooned to three times its size and stayed purple for a long time. It still isn't the same size as it was before. so a collective hurray for moving the government now onto the liability part. I was talking with one person about it who said that I was being greedy in wanting compensation! I asked him if he'd ever really been sick in his life, and the answer was no. So I just walked away. I've spent months house bound, hooked up to iv, emergency surgery, this last was my 14th infection. All in all I've probably spend a year recovering at home and in hospital. I believe it is reasonable to expect a settlement to reflect the destruction this ill begotten experiment has brought into my life. I tell you , I'll never trust another doctor.
We deserve compensation!!! That's what I would like too. The stress of it all had really affected me and my health. It's now been 17 months of hell and next yr is reconstruction year!!!! So another year will be spent on me having ops!!!! Nobody understands what we are having to live with... A ticking time bomb !!!! I'm scared if having another infection. I've bn left with permanent damage.
Maybe the best and only thing we can do, is to keep appealing to governments ethical organizations and those that monitor physicians. I'm trying to find an 'in' into the WHO and United Nations. After all, this experiment I believe is more notorious than the 'TUSKAGEE STUDY'. Today, decades of information are/were available via the internet so there is no pardon for the creeps who did these experiments. Keep agitating. Bio Alcamid, is now becoming a 'known' problem. both Canada and The Netherlands have banned it. When I began this journey, I was doubtful that I would accomplish anything. It is not safe to trust anyone anymore. I at times have doubts about this chat room and who gets to see it. But public I've gone and I endure the minimal medical attention. I don't know if I had said it but worth repeating. A doctor told me that if I wanted to get medical attention that I had to make myself more 'likeable'! It won't happen fast but it will come to pass that there will be accountability and awards for this money grab scheme.
I really don't know how this can go on without any steps being taken by anyone? It's been a very steep uphill battle here, and even though I've gotten the attention of one MP that process is slow and I'm not sure when or if anything will come of it. Our very weakest challenge is that we are not a large group and so easily dismissed. I continue to advocate and hope that someone will show some interest.
For a small and unorganized group, we managed to get Health Canada to unapproved Bio Alcamid for use in Canada and the Ontario Health Plan (OHIP) to cover the cost of removal from patients with complications. That is a Huge accomplishment which could not have happened without the dedication and hard work of a few advocates!