Bio Alcamid Disaster - Toronto, ON

Had numerous infections (severe) the latest...

Had numerous infections (severe) the latest occurring july 2012. Infection resulted in massive swelling requiring emergency surgery. Surgery took as long as heart by-pass surgery, was very complicated according to the surgeon. Had to go in before the abscess caused sepsis. the hole in my face was 3cm by 3cm by 1cm and required packing of the hole for the first month. The experience was incredibly painful both physically and psychologically. Was not able to do anything for the summer. Am looking for person's with similar experience who would be willing to be interviewed by CBC Canada for an in depth story. I've been after them for some time to do such a story.

The no accountability is what is driving my goal. If you have had a similar experience and are willing to speak you, please email me.

cheers

loonie

So, some weeks later, still no accountability,...

so, some weeks later, still no accountability, though since I posted there has been a lot of weirdness, from some dr's. I've got a scar on my face, which is not the worst of it. I'm a little cautious about making postings, cause who knows who is watching. I'll let you know if anything comes of my experience. In the meantime, the more people that contact CBC go public, the better. I can't do this alone, I really need people to step up and tell their stories to make a difference. Cheers

Mona Loutfly

it was a research study about lipoatrophy and HIV/AIDS.

So sorry for what you're going through. I'm having pain hard nodules discoloration and swelling from a filler disaster as well! This is the worst thing!
I wish that there was more that I could do to make a difference for all of us that are facing such horrible and unacceptable circumstances. It's bad enough to have to deal with the real physical pain and bleak future. What makes me really really mad and destitute is that doctors and in general health care has kicked us to the curb, like yesterdays trash.
latest update from Canada. I got a short email from Health Canada last week telling me that they have rescinded the approval for bio alcamid in Canada. The first huge step in this queer and perilous journey obfuscated with walls, smoke and everything but the truth and accountability. I have had a message delivered to a minister -critic of health - with an introduction, so that she'll know who I am. My complaint to the college of physicians and surgeons will be decided on in the next month or so. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm not expecting much. With the federal government's move, there is still a long way to go. I just spend another two week walking about the house with a hip pump, even had to sleep with it. It dispensed anti biotic treatment 24 hours a day. One of the docs I saw in er told me that as I continue to get more infections, they will get harder to treat as the bacteria morphs into a super bug. This time around I was on 4 anti biotic combo. It's getting a little more weird, the infection was in my foot (left same side as face infections). They did a ct, ultrasound(twice) xrays, doplar and there were no strains fractures or any other physical reasons for an infection. My foot ballooned to three times its size and stayed purple for a long time. It still isn't the same size as it was before. so a collective hurray for moving the government now onto the liability part. I was talking with one person about it who said that I was being greedy in wanting compensation! I asked him if he'd ever really been sick in his life, and the answer was no. So I just walked away. I've spent months house bound, hooked up to iv, emergency surgery, this last was my 14th infection. All in all I've probably spend a year recovering at home and in hospital. I believe it is reasonable to expect a settlement to reflect the destruction this ill begotten experiment has brought into my life. I tell you , I'll never trust another doctor.
We deserve compensation!!! That's what I would like too. The stress of it all had really affected me and my health. It's now been 17 months of hell and next yr is reconstruction year!!!! So another year will be spent on me having ops!!!! Nobody understands what we are having to live with... A ticking time bomb !!!! I'm scared if having another infection. I've bn left with permanent damage.
Maybe the best and only thing we can do, is to keep appealing to governments ethical organizations and those that monitor physicians. I'm trying to find an 'in' into the WHO and United Nations. After all, this experiment I believe is more notorious than the 'TUSKAGEE STUDY'. Today, decades of information are/were available via the internet so there is no pardon for the creeps who did these experiments. Keep agitating. Bio Alcamid, is now becoming a 'known' problem. both Canada and The Netherlands have banned it. When I began this journey, I was doubtful that I would accomplish anything. It is not safe to trust anyone anymore. I at times have doubts about this chat room and who gets to see it. But public I've gone and I endure the minimal medical attention. I don't know if I had said it but worth repeating. A doctor told me that if I wanted to get medical attention that I had to make myself more 'likeable'! It won't happen fast but it will come to pass that there will be accountability and awards for this money grab scheme.
I really don't know how this can go on without any steps being taken by anyone? It's been a very steep uphill battle here, and even though I've gotten the attention of one MP that process is slow and I'm not sure when or if anything will come of it. Our very weakest challenge is that we are not a large group and so easily dismissed. I continue to advocate and hope that someone will show some interest.
For a small and unorganized group, we managed to get Health Canada to unapproved Bio Alcamid for use in Canada and the Ontario Health Plan (OHIP) to cover the cost of removal from patients with complications. That is a Huge accomplishment which could not have happened without the dedication and hard work of a few advocates!
Well, the OHIP part is still unclear. I know of people who have paid large amounts of money to have it removed because ohip would not cover it. It is still a muck, with everyone having to get special approval. And yes the health Canada has rescinded the approval of this device, the yarn is yet undone. This story is not yet over
Hi shockingly in 2009 a surgeon wanted to inject bio alcamid 6 monthss after a rhinoplasty/septoplasty into my nose to cover up deformities. Thank God I didn't do it. I hope you're feeling better.
yes thank a deity but maybe just your good sense. Maybe these blogs really do make a difference.
I've included some url's as well as some excerpts from articles that I have found. Well I tried. There is an astonishing article titled Experience with Bio-Alcamid, a new soft tissue endoprosthesis Anindya Lahiri*, R. Waters Do a search and be prepared. Polyalkylimide The history of PAAG application in aesthetic surgery begins in the late 1980s when the product named Interfall was developed for large volume injections in Ukraine, for- mer USSR, mostly for penis enlargement. Very soon, breast and calf augmentation gained the most popularity. In the early 1990s clinical studies of Interfall were undertaken in Russia and its analogues were developed. In 1997, these products were introduced in European and Asian markets. In 1999, PAAG injections were selectively approved by the Ministry of Health in Russia and since 1997 to the present, numerous complications were reported. New brands to enhance the quality of the product were developed (Formacryl, Argiform and others). Prefab- rication of cavities for gel stability were advertized by M. Sulamanidze with “wire scalpel” and G. Lucomsky with endoscopically assisted technique. under the names of Aquamid, Interfall, Outline, Formacryl, Bioformacryl, Argiform, Amazing Gel, and Bio-Alcamid. hope this helps. I don't know what other's peoples stories are, here in Toronto our group consists of 'long term survivors' people who had been diagnosed with full blown AIDS and targeted for the study. We couldn't really make an informed choice or consent as much of the information was withheld from us. We now have a legal firm that is committed to taking action. It's been difficult. Keeping track of all of the articles has been a challenge in and of itself. I hope the information has been helpful. cheers
Greetings, on this crappy July day. The challenge continues! My latest infection occurred in January of this year. The doctors called it “mandibulitis” though every time I type the word it comes up as a spelling error. I’m not sure if I had posted about this before. The infection has caused nerved damage to my left ear, and I am over whelmed with a chorus of cicadas in my left ear which is incredibly painful and makes it difficult to be civil in any situation. Since that time, on the same side of my jaw my teeth are rotting out. As I have only part coverage for root canals and crowns I find myself in a disquieting situation with perhaps the only solution being to have my teeth removed. Taking oral antibiotics is problematic for me as I develop IBS immediately upon taking just on pill. It leaves me house bound as I must be very close to a toilet. Our group members have sent out petitions to Health Canada and I speculate that they are being taken seriously, though this is an assumption and our group will only know when we get a response. Being HIV positive having been diagnosed with full-blown AIDS 21 years ago, I may have some other options. There is an organization that helps people living with HIV with legal matters. Today I have a meeting with one of the lawyers. I have been reluctant to post this since I have become aware of someone making rather dubious emails and inquiries as to my intentions. I continue to post invitations through AIDS/HIV service organizations for people affected by this toxic substance. My petition to the College of Physicians is currently being reviewed though again I will only know what the outcome may be when I hear back from them. All in all, the situation is dire and I just don’t understand why there is such a reluctance for action by the medical communities. I will keep you posted as this story progresses.
ok so my comment asked too many specifics, can you tell me what the product was called in Ukraine? I hope that is an ok question to ask.
I have some information in a PDF file and do not know how to copy it. When I got your mailadress I will send it to you.
thank you for your information in particular the reference to Ukraine. I had heard rumours that the brothers in Italy bought the rights to the product but was doubtful. I would love to know how to search the information of the product in Ukraine, how and who invented it. The patent was never completed by Mr. Protopappa is was registered but never completed. I understand that he knew about the problems before he even submitted for trade mark registration, which leads me to another question. How can anyone try to register a product which had already failed in such a large experiment as was done in Ukraine. Again, any information on how to extract information from Ukraine would be helpful. I read the Cyrillic alphabet so with some time I could even read articles published in Ukrainian. thank you for you help

Hi there, My name is Sheldon and I am having similar problems and I am so frustrated. I had a Dr. remove minimal bio alcamid from my face and I have an infection right now. Could you please email me and lets connect so I can get some help. *********@hotmail.com

Hi Paul. My treatment was in Holland and partially successful. He did it with a really tiny liposuction needle. This brought a huge amount of bio-alcamid from my face. The main part of the Bio-Alcamid is gone. Unfortunately, a part of the Bio-Alcamid hardened and grown on my skin . This part can only removed with surgery, so I get a scar in my face. No doctor in this world knows the final solution. They experiment all. Let it not be removed with a laser needle! I have seen people who have done this. They now have a permanent blue discoloration in their face. The tissue under their skin burned.
we have started an activist group here in Toronto. I've looked every where to find who invented this stuff. There have even been rumours that the product was invented in Russia and bought by the Italian guys. The trade mark registration filed in 2001 lapsed and still it was used even though the product's trademark registration was never completed. Scandalous! Look for bio alcamid on facebook and who knows what you might find?
Paul, Could you please let me know who the doctor is that removed the Bio Alcamid? I will go anywhere in the world. Thanks,
Where are you from?
hi my name is kittyglitter please contact me as i almost died from my bioalcamid. wud like some support..thanks
What happened and were do you live? When do you have had Bio-Alcamid injections?

kittyglitter, I just sent you a message with a link to begin a review. Please start a review so we can all read your story and support you.

Im going through long and painfull prosedure of removing bioalcamid from my face without a surgery . ut is a nightmare Im from Israel and lucky to find an expert in that area ....according to what iread there are many more like us....i dont get why you have to be cautious about it.....
Hello, Can you please share the name of the doctor or clinic in Israel that has expertise? As well, what technique was done and was it successful. Thank you.