Think Long and Hard Before Getting Botox, It Ruined my Face

I had Botox done for my crow’s feet 3 months...

I had Botox done for my crow’s feet 3 months ago, and I can honestly say it is the worst decision I have ever made, 5 days after having it done I noticed protruding bags under my eyes at the top of my cheeks. Let me make this clear I never had these before at all, they were not too bad when I made no expression apart from making me look excessively tired, when I smiled however I looked hideous , and I am not exaggerating the bags bunched up under my eyes giving me a chipmunk look that coupled with the fact that my eyes did not move at all when I smiled made me look demented a bit like Jack Nicholson in the Shining!!!...........This is no joke I have never felt so bad about myself in my life.

Also I had a weird indentation under the inner corner of my right eye a bit like pressing into your skin hard with your finger leaving an indentation until the skin bounces back, but the skin didn’t bounce back it was left like that. Also the wrinkles under my eyes were a million times worse and the skin was sagging under the eyes, my smile was also ruined.........all this was not present before I had Botox.

Being very concerned about all this I asked the experts on this site, all the answers were very much the same that as the Botox had also been injected just under my eye that it had caused the muscle to drop and therefore the fatty tissue under the eye to drop, which was causing the bags under my eyes, and that after 3 months everything would return to normal.

I decided to wait 3 months before writing this review so that I could let everyone know if my face had returned back to its previous state, well the 3 months have come and gone last week and I am very sad to say that nothing has returned to normal except for my crow’s feet returning. I still have the protruding bags, the pronounced wrinkles under my eyes and the indentation, all of which I never had before, I feel my face is ruined and my self confidence has been shot to pieces.

Think long and hard before getting Botox around your eyes as it has ruined my face. I had Botox between my eyebrows for frown lines twice before and I was really pleased with the results but I should never have thought that just because it was a success in that area it would be a success around my eyes, the eyes are such an important feature in our faces, they show laughter, sadness, fear etc once you take away the eyes ability to show emotion, you do not look real, I regret every day having this done, please please don’t end up feeling like that too.

I just thought i would update this as i get a lot...

I just thought i would update this as i get a lot of emails asking if things have improved. it took 7 - 9 months but the effects did wear off and i was back to how i was before the botox injections, totally back to how i looked before, i know how difficult it is when you are going through this, but don't give up hope.

No offense, but everyone here complains about cosmetic problems from botox. I reported truthfully that I got temporary Paralysis for 3 months in both legs (had to use a walker,wheelchair) and no one responded to that. That says to me that either none of you think becoming PARALIZED is a big deal or none of you have experienced that scary symptom. If anyone here HAS been paralyzed, even if it was in a part of your face, I've love to hear your story. I do NOT, however, wish to hear from any plastic surgeons that use botox in their practice that will give me a BS line that botox doesn't cause any adverse reactions. It's of course in the plastic surgeons' best interest to defend botox, regardless of the VERY REAL problems it can clearly cause.
KRHatesBotox how are you now? I didn't see this before I empathize with you I have MS & frequently get paralysis in my legs it's terrible & it is terrifying too & as a owner of a walker they too can be so difficult.I agree botox does have side effects that simply cannot be challenged ....I do hope you are OK.
Hi KRHatesBotox. I would like to apologise as I did not see your earlier post. I definitely agree it is a very scary symptom, paralysis is nothing taken lightly on my end and I will probably assume any other person here would take lightly either. I have never experienced this, but I have read of botox having a paralysis effect in other non-treated parts of the face which initially appeared as though the person had had a stroke. It took several months and some facial therapy for this person's face to become fully functioning again from what I recall but it did return in full thankfully. I remember asking my cosmetic physicians 3 times "what is the worst case scenario, what are the side effects that could occur with botox"... each time he promised that there are no side effects, that it is safe in skilled hands and that any effect is only temporary. This is what bothers me most, it's that even the most qualified physicians and surgeons who we would trust the most, blatantly lie about the side effects of botox. I really do hope you are fully recovered and feeling ok.
Hi again ladies (and perhaps gentlemen too?). I just thought I'd check in to see how everyone is going with their own individual botox recovery? Any progress Nevergivnup, Florida Girl, Tosh and Bonnie? I've counted 11 weeks now since my Botox injections under my eyes and I can see that it is finally wearing off i.e. my wrinkles and bags are slowly but surely coming back (which is what the botox was treating in the first place)... but the cheek sagging seems to be getting worse unfortunately :( i have two deep diagonal lines on each side of my face (one for the NL and one for the jowl I suppose it is) and very flat droopy cheeks now... it's sad. Still hoping my cheeks will lift back up in a couple of months. I also tried CFF which seemed ok but like Florida Girl i also noticed my NL lines looked much worse after the cheek exercise. I suppose I'm venting and off-loading some anxiety here again, I hope you all don't mind :) though I don't wish this on anyone at all, it is comforting that there is a page to come to and read or chat. I hope you're all also feeling ok and taking care of yourselves. I wish I could be more help re under eyes, mine have been a mess for years now but not from botox, it was actually from fillers done incorrectly. But i understand the stress it causes. In regards to wrinkles, I've found pure Hyaluronic Syrum has been plumping up my undereyes really really well and I've only been using it for the past two weeks. It may be worth a try hydrate the skin at the very least? There are also HA supplements which work great for the same thing. If anyone has any stories to share about their cheeks lifting I would really appreciate hearing it (even again). Anyway good night everyone and thanks again. x
Good to hear from you, Freebird. We are fortunate to have this forum to turn to for comfort and support. Sorry to hear about your cheeks, nll and jowls :( . I would suggest that you keep at the facial exercises. Just look into Eva Frasiers version for lifting, building the cheek muscles back up. I am at 21 weeks now. I feel like I am in a holding pattern, which is ok by me. I fear getting droopier. My crows feet have been back,too, since the 2 month mark. My forehead still feels a bit tight. This past month I started doing my forehead ,too, with cff. She recommended it to get the muscles moving, so I am trusting in her . I will be doing these facial exercises for life :) I am doing them only 3 times a week now and allowing my face to rest more than I was in the beginning. I take hyaluronic supplements,too, and drink a gallon of water a day for the plumping effect of my face,too. It definitely helps. I drink a lot of green shakes and take a lot of vits and supplements,too, to try and keep my body healthy while going through this stressful time. I hope that we are all out of the woods from this experience sooner rather than later.
Hi Freebird, CFF has helped my cheeks to lift. My face has tightened up a lot. My under eye skin has smooth out and looks a whole lot better than when I first began CFF. There is a huge difference in my under eye skin. My eyebags are still slowly smoothing, or shall I say festoons. I had to cancel my derm. App. Last wk. so I didn't get to ask any questions. But I can see a small change in my left eye bag it is smoothing out faster than my right. It has been 9 months since I started CFF. It may take another 9 months for the dramatic results that I'm looking for. It's hard I know for all of us, it sucks, but before I consider surgery I really need to stick with CFF for a another yr.
What is CFF?
Carolyns facial fittness
I did not experience that, but what I experienced to me is as bad or is close to it. I might of not been paralyzed but insomnia, fever, blurry vision, headache for two straight months, depression, anxiety, weakness like I was going to faint, I could barely walk, night mares, chemical imbalance bc my nerves was shot, I almost had a breakdown, suicidal thoughts and top it all off. When i finely got somewhat back to normal. My face fell. And your face is the first thing a person looks at when they see you. My self esteem left me. I stayed depressed for months. Remorse. I can't ever get another face like the one I had. That's enough to cause anyone to have a breakdown. I still have my days. But I thank god things are looking better. I know your experience was scary but I'm glad you are better
Notgivenup, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience! You are right; your experience was very similar to mine. I, too, suffered from depression and anxiety. I don't know if you know this, but if you go to the Botox website where they inject people with Botox for migraine headaches, it says that what you experienced is a "rare" side effect, as was my paralysis. I'll bet no one on this site's plastic surgeon ever mentioned these "rare" yet real side effects!
Thanks all for your responses. Notgivenup when I hear your story I can't even imagine what I'd do in a situation like that. Thanks for the positivity. On a scale of the stories I've read including yours Florida Girls and others on here, mine would really not be on the same spectrum, but like you say, it's your face, it's the first thing you and everyone identifies you with. Keeping positive most days and waiting it out, but sometimes I panic that it's permanent and I've had myself in tears the past few days. It's really not worth talking to people about who haven't experienced it themselves. I'm so happy you're both experiencing improvements respectively. I will keep going with CFF and substitute the cheek lift exercise with Eva Frasers thanks for the recommendation Florida Girl :) Again, so very much appreciated x
Freebird, June the 7th will be 2 yrs for me and I still find my self crying at least once a wk. everyday if I let the fear of doubt to come in, but I know I haven't come this far to give up now. Hopefully I will see major improvement in the next up coming months with CFF. Lord knows I've been through enough of torment. We all have, we all have a story and we can all relate to the emotional pain that Botox has caused. I'm still in the race and I pray that we all heal.
I tell you this all the time, NGU, but your strength, faith and positive outlook is so inspiring to us all. I don't think I ever knew all of your symptoms. I just knew that your face fell. I am sorry for everything you went through. You have been through hell. I know you will keep on seeing more and more improvement as you keep up w/ CFF . I never really experienced horrible side effects except headaches and pressure above my left eye which I still have. I did suffer from depression and have those horrible thoughts,too, for quite a while. Things are looking up for me,too. I try to stay positive and keep on doing my Cff,as well. 5 mos tomm for me. I just try and keep on going on w/ my normal life and try not to harp on my face . You all know how hard this can be at times. Thinking of you women,always. xo
Thanks Florida girl! I'm always here for you and yes I know things will get better for you my friend. It's called patients time and prayer!
I am not able to move one side of my face still after 4 months post botox. I think my age has a lot to do with this also as I am 57 years old. The only thing which will help is face or cheek lift and hopefully everything will get my face back to some semblance of normal. The hollow cheeks make me really look bad, people are shocked when they haven't seen me in a while. I am looking forward to having surgery within the next two months (if all goes well). Never again will I touch botox with a 10 foot pole.
My botox didn't wear off until almost 10-12 months. I wouldn't do anything so drastic as to have surgery until it is totally wore off. Does your surgeon know what happened, and did he suggest waiting until the effects wore off? I hope all goes well.
I had botox injections in several areas of my face. The 1st bad effect was that the injections made my top eyelids droop really bad. But the scary thing, is that I couldn't walk without a walker for 3 months! I seriously think that was from the botox. Has anyone else had temporary paralysis from botox?
Hi again everyone. I wrote a couple of weeks ago about cheek droop post botox. It's been 8 weeks post botox under my eyes and my cheeks are getting worse :( I have jowls! And very deep nasolabial folds and serious loss of volume in my cheeks. I've never had this before and its scary. Trying CFF but unfortunately because of the botox I cant use the muscles I need to use to build my cheeks. The stupid thing is my eyes look great now except when I smile it looks quite scary and awkward. Forida Girl and Nevergivenup, how are both going now after a few months? Any improvement? Thanks for any advice.
The reason I lost volume was bc I was injected under my eyes and on top of my cheeks. I lost major volume plus I've lost 20 lbs since. I have festoons and malar mounds (edema) it's bad in the mornings. As in my last post , my cheeks are slowly lifting and my jowls has lifted also. But my festoons are so driving me crazy. I'm depressed over them. Stupid botox. Its been 7 months since I started CFF. It will take me close to a yr. or longer to see major results from CFF. I know things will tighten up more , I'm just hopeing and praying that once my cheeks continue on lifting that my under eye area will tighten up these festoons.
Just wondering, do the majority of the ladies with cheek drop have the drop in the front under the eyes or on the sides? or both? Do all of us with cheek drop also have the under eye bags/festoons? I do not have any issue with under my eyes its all on the side. My temples do not move!! If I pull up at my temples my cheek lifts. I think most of my drooping is from my temples not moving.
Unfortunately, my cheek drop continues to get worse as the botox is wearing off. I am at 3 1/2 months hoping that it does not get too much worse. My case was very different. Initially my cheeks rose up way too high and the entire back part of my face from the temples down did not move, causing the chipmonk look because everything came forward. At about 8 weeks everything dropped and continues to drop. I am still praying that mine will come back in the 4-6 month time frame. Does not seem that anyone recovered from cheek ptosis in the normal time frame.
You should recover and since u didn't get bags its such a blessing. I wish all I had was just cheek drop. Mine is mostly in the front. It's so hard to imagine I will undo all this damage. But I know patience is a virtue and CFF is a blessing. A thank God that I found it! There's still a lot of damage but I believe in carolyns program! You also may need help after Botox wears off. Your muscles will be weak.
Do you think 4 months is too soon to start CFF, I feel I have full movement other than my temples. I do not want to do more damage to the muscles I currently have that are over compensating as it is. Thoughts?
Tosh, u should be fine. I started facial exercises earlier than that. I've read that it helps to flush the Botox out of the areas it was injected, but it's your decision.
did your cheeks ever rise up? are you just dealing with the under eye issues at this point? You have had a long journey......