Think Long and Hard Before Getting Botox, It Ruined my Face

I had Botox done for my crow’s feet 3 months...

I had Botox done for my crow’s feet 3 months ago, and I can honestly say it is the worst decision I have ever made, 5 days after having it done I noticed protruding bags under my eyes at the top of my cheeks. Let me make this clear I never had these before at all, they were not too bad when I made no expression apart from making me look excessively tired, when I smiled however I looked hideous , and I am not exaggerating the bags bunched up under my eyes giving me a chipmunk look that coupled with the fact that my eyes did not move at all when I smiled made me look demented a bit like Jack Nicholson in the Shining!!!...........This is no joke I have never felt so bad about myself in my life.

Also I had a weird indentation under the inner corner of my right eye a bit like pressing into your skin hard with your finger leaving an indentation until the skin bounces back, but the skin didn’t bounce back it was left like that. Also the wrinkles under my eyes were a million times worse and the skin was sagging under the eyes, my smile was also ruined.........all this was not present before I had Botox.

Being very concerned about all this I asked the experts on this site, all the answers were very much the same that as the Botox had also been injected just under my eye that it had caused the muscle to drop and therefore the fatty tissue under the eye to drop, which was causing the bags under my eyes, and that after 3 months everything would return to normal.

I decided to wait 3 months before writing this review so that I could let everyone know if my face had returned back to its previous state, well the 3 months have come and gone last week and I am very sad to say that nothing has returned to normal except for my crow’s feet returning. I still have the protruding bags, the pronounced wrinkles under my eyes and the indentation, all of which I never had before, I feel my face is ruined and my self confidence has been shot to pieces.

Think long and hard before getting Botox around your eyes as it has ruined my face. I had Botox between my eyebrows for frown lines twice before and I was really pleased with the results but I should never have thought that just because it was a success in that area it would be a success around my eyes, the eyes are such an important feature in our faces, they show laughter, sadness, fear etc once you take away the eyes ability to show emotion, you do not look real, I regret every day having this done, please please don’t end up feeling like that too.

I just thought i would update this as i get a lot...

I just thought i would update this as i get a lot of emails asking if things have improved. it took 7 - 9 months but the effects did wear off and i was back to how i was before the botox injections, totally back to how i looked before, i know how difficult it is when you are going through this, but don't give up hope.

I had Botox on my forehead and between my eyes and I was happy too. Then, I just had it in the corners of my mouth to turn up the corners. I feel for you! I regret doing it; I can't move my mouth to eat or drink....and the doctor who did it says she never had a complaint before. And she has it done in the same area. Botox is good for forehead wrinkles and the 11 between the eyebrows, but I think having it anywhere else is risky at best!
Jazz diva yes I agree approved areas only the 11s and now crows feet approved
Hi, ladies. I am 5 1/2 mos out now. I still have a lot of pressure above my left eye . To try and help to alleviate it I've been massaging it lightly. I really hopes it goes away :(. I have a question. After I was injected , the skin on my forehead became extremely oily. It still is now. In my glabella area , I have these small bumps an lumps under my skin. I have read that oil glands can become clogged. I know this for a fact because I now have blepharitis in my eyes! Basically oil clogged glands on my eye lids! I am being treated for this condition now :( I am wondering if this is what's happened. The skin on my forehead is so different from the rest of my face. Anyone experience this?
Hi Forida Girl. Did you find out what this was exactly? I also have excess oil now after botox injections.. im getting alot of those millia spots im so oily just an hour after cleansing that I have to keep wiping my face all day with wipes. I wonder if this goes away eventually? Sorry cant offer any advice :( its just ridiculous how many negative effects can come from a little injection which these doctors recommend. Just an update on our recent chat, im 4 months post-botox now (crows feet and under eyes) and my cheek sag has gotten a lot worse. My face keeps going south its scary. Anyway I'll ask my physician about the oily skin when I go to see him next week to discuss these side effects. If he tells me anything worthwhile I'll let you know xx
Hi, freebird! I asked the Dr's on RS and they are saying that it is not from botox.( go under my profile and see my question and answers) We know it is. I don't know why I bother to ask them any questions at all because all they do is deny the fact that botox can cause a gazillion not wanted side effects. I have been using medi-matte by Cosmedicine. It's an oil absorbing, mattifying lotion w/ spf 20. It's a thick paste. It acts like a primer,too, which I like. I do't wear make up, but it just makes my skin look a little more "done". I just ordered another tube off of amazon. So, that's what I have been using to try and combat my oily forehead :(. Sorry that your face keeps drooping. It completely sucks, I know. Like Tosha said, hopefully soon we will start to see things literally pick up. I am still doing CFF 3x a week and gentle massage now since Jan. I really feel like it is helping my cheeks to firm and nasal lines to lessen..Are you doing it? Let me know what your Dr. says about your oily skin. I am also thinking about using retin a to better my skin texture. I am just nervous that I will make things worse, so that's what stopping me.lol. I can't afford another travesty to look at when I look in the mirror. lol..Good to hear from you. Keep us updated on your progress-there will be some!!! :) xoxo
Freebird,one more thing. I have read other posts from women saying that their skin is more oily post botox. So, we are not imaging this! I
Ooopps...My left eye had been really bugging me for a while, so iwent to he eye Dr. I have blepharitis in both eyes. It's basically clogged oil glands under your lash lines. I have some medication for it ,but it's not doing much. I went back to the Dr two weeks ago because I still was having problems.(It feels like something is constantly in my eye, makes me dizzy and makes my lashes fall out). He wanted to put me on an antibiotic, but I chose not to. I don't want any other issues to happen because of an antibiotic. :(
Florida girl and Freebird I also had lashes fall out and very oily complexion with millia all over my face after Botox ..these things probably took about a year to resolve completely but they did resolve and my skin has not been oily or irritable for a couple years now. Just wanted to let you both know it IS from Botox and it is a temporary problem. Florida girl I also wanted to let you know about the cupping tubes I have been using to stimulate bloodflow/ lymph drainage on my face. They are The Bellelazze Facial Cupping set and you can order them at cupping therapy.org. My only concern for you would be that they would exacerbate the irritation in your skin at this point. You may need to wait until your skin calms down to use them. But once it does, I think they will be helpful to get your face to flush out the Botox with lymph fluid and increase bloodflow and nutrients to the tissues. I have been using them for a month now and am seeing improvement in my skin tone and elasticity. It feels and looks tighter and healthier already. One other thing I wanted to share .. I saw a physiatrist last week and he was the first Dr who truly lightened to me and did not discredit anything regarding the side effects of Botox and filler. He was also more knowledgable about facial nerve damage than anyone else I've seen including the neurologist. He made a plan for my recovery starting with acupuncture Physical therapy with a face specialist, e-stim, facial massage therapy, and he advised me to look into prolotherapy for weakened tendons in my cheeks. It was such a relief to have someone take this seriously and validate all the damages and my concerns .. I cried when I got into the car. It's been 5 years for me of this daily nightmare. The drastic morphing of my appearance followed by Dr's shaking their heads claiming none of this was caused by Botox or implying I'm crazy and just can't accept "natural aging." We all have been through it, the victim blaming BS that follows a woman wronged by this wretched industry. Thank God we are all strong enough to keep our heads up and find support here on Realself. Without this forum I would have lost my mind through it all lol. So a big shout out to all you ladies on here!! Thank you for your support and virtual ((hugs)) .. God bless. xx -Tori
Hi, Tori. Reading your post filled me with so much emotion. You have been through so much over the last five years. Five long years !? I am so happy that you have finally found a Dr. who truly listens and acknowledges the fact that botox can and did infact cause you all the facial damage you have experienced. We all know that finding a Dr. like you have is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I know that I haven't been as lucky,that is for sure! I am thrilled that with your Dr's help you have a plan of attack in place now to regain your "old" face. You are very sweet for asking your therapist about the cupping system. Thank you so much. I will look into it and buy it for sure. Thank you also for confirming the fact that I am not crazy in imaging that the texture and condition of my face is actually from face. I am just happy to know that it is temporary and will go away. Thank you for the reassurance. :) Let me/us know how your progress goes . We are all in your corner and wish you nothing but success because you so deserve it after 5 years. I appreciate you coming back on the forums and keeping us updated on what's been going on in your life. We are all" sisters "who have come together for support and a shoulder to lean on during a difficult time. I feel the same way, if it wasn't for this forum and a few great friends I have made on here, I would have lost it a long time ago. I hope to someday put this all behind me. One thing for sure ,though, is that I hope to stay in touch with all the wonderful women who have been a Godsend to me. Luv you, Tori ,and all you other wonderful women who have been my support system throughout this ordeal :) xo
Hi Tori & Florida :) i hope you're both doing well... i always come back and read your posts a few times and you're constantly in my thoughts. I've never told anyone in my life that I've had botox but when two of my close girlfriends last week told me they had made an appointment to have their first injections ever (around the eyes where I had it done) i came clean and told them what I've been through and what thousands of others have been through. They told me sadly that they thought i was just aging (because they had noticed the drop and sag in my face this year ha!)... No progress at all to report on my end, its actually looking worse and one eyelid has drastically dropped. I think I'll go see an oculoplasty surgeon this month to discuss the muscle/nerve damage around my eyes. And maybe some accupuncture to help stimulate the rest of my face into lifting again. I'm a little on-an-off with the facial exercises because I wasnt noticing a difference :/ let me know how you're all doing too. In my thoughts, God bless xx
Oh, Freebird :( Sorry that things haven't gotten better. I really am. You are so sweet for thinking of us. How far out are you again? 4 mos? I am a bit over 6 mos. I am still consistently doing my cff every other day. I believe that my face is firmer. It definitley takes time to see results. But everytime I doubt the program I turn to a girl , notgiven up, for support. She has been doing them for about a year and has had wonderfufl results. I still pray that I don't get any worse. I still have problems with my left eye and a constant eye twitch under it. I have just learned to live with it :( Please tell me what your Dr says about the nerves around your eyes. I,too,went to an eye Dr. twice and was told that my eyes are fine and no nerve damage has occured. :( He said I was a "mystery".. lol I know it has something to do w/ the nerves around my eyes being weakend. I hope that time will heal it. Oh, my forehead is less oily!!!! That's a positive, right?!? I haven't bought the cupping system which Tori recommended, but def. plan on it . For now, I've been doing gentle massage and accupressure to try and stimulate the nerves in my face and tighten things up a bit. Sigh... the beat goes on..I hope your friends decided to not go through with their injections. This club we are in keeps growing by the day,sadly. Love to you and all the women on this site. Stay strong and stay in touch.xoxo. Always here for you, FG
Yes!! 7 months after Botox and still have bulging bags under my eyes. I never had them until I had Botox! I do have small lumps under my eyes in the bags and under my eyebrows. I don't know what to do! For the past 7 months people keep asking me if I've been crying or not getting enough sleep! I look like 10 years older like this and I am BESIDE myself because of it! Please share with me what I can do to correct this!
Hi, Tori! How are you going w/ your recovery? I am a bit over 7 mos now and looking horrible. Under my eyes is hollowed out now AND I have permanent smile lines /crows feet around my eyes all the time. I didn;t have this before. It's as if all the fat and tissue is gone under my eyes My left temple is completely caved in . The muscles in my forehead ,above my brows are constantly raised. I look like a circus freak. Just making it through the day is such agony. I started to look bad around 6 mos, I guess as the botox was wearing off. Now I am left with a detroyed face. I am so darn depressed. So much so I had an appt scheduled to get more because I am desperate once again. Thank God my friend who is also in the same boat talked me out of it. I am going crazy. I just want to know if you had the deflated look under your eyes and perm crows feet? I haven;t purchased the cupping system yet because my skin is still a mess/ Life's just dandy right now :( Please let me know how you are. xo
Freebird, how are you? I am a little over 7 mos and not doing too ot. Around + mos I started declining..must have been the botox wearing off. Now I am left with a crazy/aged looking face :(..deflated under eye area w/ etched in smile lines around my eyes all the time. It looks like I need filler, but of course won;t. I am going out of my mind with this new issue which I didn't have 7 mos ago. That and the arched muscles above my brows at all times and bad complexion is where I stand....and I am so miserable. I hope things start changing for the better. Please let me know how you are. Thinking of you :) xo
are you better?
No offense, but everyone here complains about cosmetic problems from botox. I reported truthfully that I got temporary Paralysis for 3 months in both legs (had to use a walker,wheelchair) and no one responded to that. That says to me that either none of you think becoming PARALIZED is a big deal or none of you have experienced that scary symptom. If anyone here HAS been paralyzed, even if it was in a part of your face, I've love to hear your story. I do NOT, however, wish to hear from any plastic surgeons that use botox in their practice that will give me a BS line that botox doesn't cause any adverse reactions. It's of course in the plastic surgeons' best interest to defend botox, regardless of the VERY REAL problems it can clearly cause.
KRHatesBotox how are you now? I didn't see this before I empathize with you I have MS & frequently get paralysis in my legs it's terrible & it is terrifying too & as a owner of a walker they too can be so difficult.I agree botox does have side effects that simply cannot be challenged ....I do hope you are OK.
Hi KRHatesBotox. I would like to apologise as I did not see your earlier post. I definitely agree it is a very scary symptom, paralysis is nothing taken lightly on my end and I will probably assume any other person here would take lightly either. I have never experienced this, but I have read of botox having a paralysis effect in other non-treated parts of the face which initially appeared as though the person had had a stroke. It took several months and some facial therapy for this person's face to become fully functioning again from what I recall but it did return in full thankfully. I remember asking my cosmetic physicians 3 times "what is the worst case scenario, what are the side effects that could occur with botox"... each time he promised that there are no side effects, that it is safe in skilled hands and that any effect is only temporary. This is what bothers me most, it's that even the most qualified physicians and surgeons who we would trust the most, blatantly lie about the side effects of botox. I really do hope you are fully recovered and feeling ok.
KRHatesBotox I'm so sorry to hear about your paralysis and hope you have healed and moved on. What a scary and awful thing to go through! I also experienced paralysis but only on my face. The left side of my face developed a Bells Palsey condition for over 2 years. Only over the last year have i made progress healing and have nearly a full range of motion although it is still very tight thick and saggy in comparison to the right side of my face. I've been diagnosed with facial nerve damage and I'm working with a number of specialists to heal. How are you doing now? are you still having problems? Where were you injected with Botox? Have you tried any acupuncture?
Hi again ladies (and perhaps gentlemen too?). I just thought I'd check in to see how everyone is going with their own individual botox recovery? Any progress Nevergivnup, Florida Girl, Tosh and Bonnie? I've counted 11 weeks now since my Botox injections under my eyes and I can see that it is finally wearing off i.e. my wrinkles and bags are slowly but surely coming back (which is what the botox was treating in the first place)... but the cheek sagging seems to be getting worse unfortunately :( i have two deep diagonal lines on each side of my face (one for the NL and one for the jowl I suppose it is) and very flat droopy cheeks now... it's sad. Still hoping my cheeks will lift back up in a couple of months. I also tried CFF which seemed ok but like Florida Girl i also noticed my NL lines looked much worse after the cheek exercise. I suppose I'm venting and off-loading some anxiety here again, I hope you all don't mind :) though I don't wish this on anyone at all, it is comforting that there is a page to come to and read or chat. I hope you're all also feeling ok and taking care of yourselves. I wish I could be more help re under eyes, mine have been a mess for years now but not from botox, it was actually from fillers done incorrectly. But i understand the stress it causes. In regards to wrinkles, I've found pure Hyaluronic Syrum has been plumping up my undereyes really really well and I've only been using it for the past two weeks. It may be worth a try hydrate the skin at the very least? There are also HA supplements which work great for the same thing. If anyone has any stories to share about their cheeks lifting I would really appreciate hearing it (even again). Anyway good night everyone and thanks again. x
Good to hear from you, Freebird. We are fortunate to have this forum to turn to for comfort and support. Sorry to hear about your cheeks, nll and jowls :( . I would suggest that you keep at the facial exercises. Just look into Eva Frasiers version for lifting, building the cheek muscles back up. I am at 21 weeks now. I feel like I am in a holding pattern, which is ok by me. I fear getting droopier. My crows feet have been back,too, since the 2 month mark. My forehead still feels a bit tight. This past month I started doing my forehead ,too, with cff. She recommended it to get the muscles moving, so I am trusting in her . I will be doing these facial exercises for life :) I am doing them only 3 times a week now and allowing my face to rest more than I was in the beginning. I take hyaluronic supplements,too, and drink a gallon of water a day for the plumping effect of my face,too. It definitely helps. I drink a lot of green shakes and take a lot of vits and supplements,too, to try and keep my body healthy while going through this stressful time. I hope that we are all out of the woods from this experience sooner rather than later.
Hi Freebird, CFF has helped my cheeks to lift. My face has tightened up a lot. My under eye skin has smooth out and looks a whole lot better than when I first began CFF. There is a huge difference in my under eye skin. My eyebags are still slowly smoothing, or shall I say festoons. I had to cancel my derm. App. Last wk. so I didn't get to ask any questions. But I can see a small change in my left eye bag it is smoothing out faster than my right. It has been 9 months since I started CFF. It may take another 9 months for the dramatic results that I'm looking for. It's hard I know for all of us, it sucks, but before I consider surgery I really need to stick with CFF for a another yr.
What is CFF?
Carolyns facial fittness
I did not experience that, but what I experienced to me is as bad or is close to it. I might of not been paralyzed but insomnia, fever, blurry vision, headache for two straight months, depression, anxiety, weakness like I was going to faint, I could barely walk, night mares, chemical imbalance bc my nerves was shot, I almost had a breakdown, suicidal thoughts and top it all off. When i finely got somewhat back to normal. My face fell. And your face is the first thing a person looks at when they see you. My self esteem left me. I stayed depressed for months. Remorse. I can't ever get another face like the one I had. That's enough to cause anyone to have a breakdown. I still have my days. But I thank god things are looking better. I know your experience was scary but I'm glad you are better