Botox Nightmare-Ended Up in ER-Never Will Get Injected Again! Horrible...

I am in my late 20's and had a nurse at a...

I am in my late 20's and had a nurse at a local spa suggest Botox for my forehead to correct wrinkles/lines and crows feet. She tole me I could expect a "Botox headache" and maybe flu-like symptoms for a day or two after.

It has been 5 days since I was injected and as I write this, my heart is racing, the left side of my face is numb and tingly, and I have muscle weakness and extreme anxiety. Almost immediately after being injected for the first time, I swelled up with bumps on the injection sites, turned red and was sensitive to the touch, at each injection location. I also felt sick to my stomach, tired, weak and could not eat. I also had a taste in the back of my throat, like the Botox was coming down my sinuses or something of that nature. It had a weird, medicinal taste to it.

I called the nurse who administered the Botox and received an RX steroid cream to reduce the swelling/redness. It helped, but now I have bruising, and the area in between my eyes looks off and I have a "stern" look. The night after the injection, I noticed that the left side of my face was numb and had a tingling sensation, my noise was also very itchy which I found bizarre but is probably due to the tingling sensation. I also noticed that my eyebrows felt very heavy and were beginning to droop! (this is a known side effect of Botox I now know.

I have lost 3 lbs in 5 days, when I do manage to keep food down, my stomach is so sensitive that I cannot keep it in me for long.

Yesterday morning I panicked after waking up and finding the numbness and tingling worse. My mouth/tongue was dry and I could not eat and experienced trouble swallowing. My heart felt like it was jumping in my chest and I proceeded to drive myself to the ER in a panic. They checked my vitals, checked my urine and everything was ok. I was given steroids, an antacid and an RX for Benadryl, Prednisone, and Pepcid. Today, as mentioned above, my heart is still beating fast, I have muscle weakness and a tightness and feeling of pressure all over my head and neck. I contacted Allergan (the makers of Botox) and filled out an Adverse event report with the FDA.

This has been one of the worst experiences of my life. I feel like such an idiot for allowing myself to get a toxin put in my body! What was I thinking? Lesson learned, and I will never do this again. I just wish I could get the toxin removed from my body, or better yet go back in time and never get suckered in to getting injected in the first place! I much rather prefer my wrinkles/lines over all these horrible side effects that I now have. I really felt doomed, and sometimes still do. What if my symptoms continue to get worse? I feel like a bad mom for being so shallow and putting myself through this and potentially doing some serious damage to myself with two small children at home. I really just assumed that this was a quick and easy procedure with "little down time". I have no known allergies. Botox is presented as safe; millions of women get it done every year, and I was one of the few individuals who unfortunately developed a very bad reaction to it.

I only wish I had done more research beforehand, and not trusted someone who is out to make money and who could not care less about me or my health. I am assuming that the lady who administered the Botox either gave me too much (48 units) or injected it incorrectly? Is it true that Botox does not come "ready to use out of the box" so to speak, and has to be combined with a solution by the injector? Maybe this is the problem? All I know, is that when the Spa opens back up in a day, they will be hearing from me and I WILL receive my $480 dollars refunded back to me, one way or the other.

Please trust your instincts and remember that Botox is made out of a serious toxin, botulism. It is not worth it. I feel like my own vanity got the best of me, and I certainly found out the hard way to just be happy with the way I am!!! Not to mention, I am very embarrassed by this whole disaster as well having my whole family know about! My mom even flew in lastnight to help me out with my kids!

If you have had a similar experience, please let me know so I do not feel so alone!!! This site has already helped me a lot. Or, if you can answer any of the questions I asked above, please let me know. I just pray that things do not get worse for me, I am hoping since it is now day 5, the Botox wont spread too much more and I wont continue to get worse. Thanks.

Hi how long did all this last as I can't swallow any solid food this happened 2 days after I had Botox for the second time but I only left 3 months I between them
This all seems very dramatic to me because I have been using botox for 5 years ( at three different locations) with absolutely no issues whatsoever, certainly not any of things you all have experienced; however, I agree that botox is not for everyone I am sure. I have always been injected by a medical doctor, not a nurse,from a well established place and I make sure the box is sealed so I know they are opening a new vile each time from the freezer. Not sure if that helps anyone but I understand why people are leery.
This is crazy! I don't know who to thank??? You... a stranger or my angles sending me this CLEAR, CLEAR message! It has crossed my mind before in years past. I'm 33 now and had ruff chunk of my 20s living alongside my big brother who suffered from mental illness and addiction. I just got home from my own therapy for PTS disorder from my 20s and bipolar brought on by the events. I look at myself and then pictures of my self right before my 23rd birthday. This makes me sad and angry that I slowly developed premature frown rinkles between my eyebrows. I just looked at a picture of my brother who did in 2011 succeeded in taking his own life, Looked at the pic and we still are very close I talk to him all the time and can still be silly with him. Iv forgivin him and my self. with an anoannoyed sigh said I hate my now permanent anger frown even when I smile i said you Turd...all the pain and hurt I could not fix for you, now I'm so insecure about (how) I should look. I thought I'll call and just get the botox and fix it just like that! Ijust now woke up from a God awful nightmare that my jaw was going completely tingly and swelling, I was sooo sleepy having trouble keeping my eyes open. I was freaking out my face now was swelling I could not breath my face hurt so bad! I found myself falling out of my car at the ER and then I woke up. I rolled over with my heart racing and i typed im whatdoes it mean to dream of my neck closing up and your message came up first. I had my hair on my body standing up! Maybe it was my brother showing me in my dream that it would be a horrible mistake to get the botox! I have the biggest smile/frown right now! your Totaly right! My brother is right my angles are right, now my gut is right! Look in the mirror Emma, your rinkles tell a story, they make you the strong woman you now are today! Well, THANK YOU STRANGER!! I'm beautiful just the way I am! Happy frown and all:)!
Also, my Dr said that it might not be the botox that causes these horrible feelings we get from the botox injection but it is very possible its the shit they mix it with and water it down with . But still i am put off for life! no more botox for me EVER!
Hey guys ! its been 4 months since my horrible botox experience and i am so much better ! my muscles twitch still but im so usedto it now :( i am not feeling any anxiety or depression or weird aches and pains like i did the first few months. I Know you will all get better : ) it just take a bit of time. Sucks . Hope everyone is doing good and staying happy and focused on knowing u will feel back to normal soon : ) Xx
OMG! I just had my 4th round of botox. I haven't had it done in almost a year and just couldn't stand the wrinkles. 3 days after my injections my ears have so much pressure!!! The woman who gave me the botox insists that there is NO WAY that Botox did this to me and to contact my primary care doctor for a blocked eustacian tube. I have NEVER had this feeling of pressure before! I am praying to God every minute of the day that this goes away when the Botox wears off. Luckily for me, botox only lasts about 6-8 weeks for me so I hope this is the case and my ears are back to normal or I might kill myself. I also suffer from vestibular migraine so I'm dizzy on a good day and it took my 6 years to learn how to cope just with that!!! I don't deserve this and will never have botox again!.
I got 28 units of xeomin 3 weeks ago today and still feel like hell. It feels like a golf ball is jammed in my throat. I'm shirt of breath, my ears feel like there's so much pressure behind them there going to bleed. Are u feeling better yet?? My dr says this isn't from my xeomin!!!! I'm going crazy
The same thing just happened to me! Please tell me you are getting better! This was my 4th round of botox. I wasn't going to have it done again but after a year and my wrinkles looking horrible, I broke down and had it done. This never happened before! I also suffer from vestibular migraine for the last 6 years and I'm dizzy on a good day. It took me a long time to learn how to deal with that. If this feeling in my ears doesn't go away I might kill myself! Botox only works on me for 6-8 weeks so I am praying every minute of the day that my ears will return to normal. Please let me know if you are feeling any better.

Yes, I just had my first botox shots one week ago. I felt fine. Painless. I looked great, but then the pain began. My head, neck, jaw, even down my back feels so tight. I can't explain this feeling really. It is not a headache per se, but an overall extreme tightness that eats away at you. I feel as though I can't breathe. My throat feels so tight & constricted. I can eat & swallow, yes, but it feels SO WRONG and it is incredibly scary! I called my Dr. told him 2 X about how my "headache" has NOT gone away -- it has been over a week now --- it is worse and how I feel awful. He's like "oh honey stop over-thinking it, it is not botox. Botox cures headaches. You might have a sinus infection. Or could even be meningitis. Go see your doctor" I do not have meningitis. I do not have a sinus infection. I know what sinus pressure/infection is. This is NOT that. It is absolutely a result of the botox. These assholes don't wanna be liable, especially considering I have a law degree they won't admit shit! These bastards that make this product & inject us -- how dare they. It should be banned. I wish I could go back in time like all of you and NOT do this. I am only 26 years old. I am pretty. I was afraid of getting wrinkles on my forehead and got 20 units just in my forehead---and voila now I am some basket case according to the Drs, thats lost her mind. I am a highly functioning, highly intelligent LAW grad. I have not lost my mind. Be careful what you wish for... I hope you all feel better. I just want this to END!

To Botox nightmare It sounds like you went to the same spa that did. Same amount of money was charged to me. It has been 10 days since I was injected with Botox. All the way around the tops and down the sides of my brows. A few days later notice intermittent hearing loss then after 5 days lost my hearing in the left ear. Now this strange feeling is going down the side of my neck. I have some of the same symptoms you described. I only went in for a consult and had no intention of having any work done at that time. I felt I was railroaded into this. I see your post was 2 yrs ago and would like to know how you are doing now. Thanks

I know exactly how you feel I have severe migraines so My neurologist recommended Botox injections. 31 injections later I am miserable severe muscle pain, muscle spasms so bad I cant use my right arm, a severe rash all over my body, swelling in my neck, throat and shoulders. I just want it to stop it has already been a month and my doctor says it could take another month before I feel better. I have three teenage boys, a husband, and our dog. But life as stopped for me I cant do anything its to miserable to work through this I am taking 80mg of Benadryl every 4 to 6 hours and 8mg of muscle relaxant three times a day all I can do is sleep. I am so glad my family loves me I just cant imagine going through this for much longer. I will never have these injections and anyone should be hesitant because it is a toxin......

I am in England and I am on week 5. I had 14 units 3 injections between my eyes by a self employed nurse. I was quite anxious before hand about having it and i did stop her after 3 between my eyes as my gut instinct was saying no more, i am so glad i did not have the rest on my forehead and sides of my eyes (30 units more).After I had it the injection sites hurt and were red and i could feel the botox spreading and i knew that day i regretted having it done. The following day I was so ill i had flu symptoms a throat infection where i could not swallow , i spent a week in bed i felt so tired all the time.I also had stomach problems i wasn't sick but it came the other way. All my local doctor kept saying is she didnt know much about it that i should go back to the nurse (which i did but what could she do?? she just gave me my cheque back!). I ended up in accident and emergency Christmas eve much to the dismay of my children (i am in my 30s).I still had a headache after 2 and half weeks, it felt like i was having a head rush sometimes,pins and needles in my head and down to the bridge of my nose like a fizzy feeling (thats the nervous being severed apparently by botox travelling down), it felt like my forehead had been hit with a bat, the nurse said botox travels about an inch from site of injection..well mine travelled at least 2 inches. The poisons unit were contacted by the doctor treating me in A&E and the professor stated that all my symptoms were all stated in Allergan's list and he tried to assure the doctor that although it peaks at 3 weeks gradually the symptoms will fade away. So week 5 i am still getting minor headaches but not half as bad as before, my nose and up between my eyes still feels fizzy and numb like iv been punched between the eyes, i still sometimes feel like my head is in a clamp with pressure but not half as bad as before, my sleep was very deep when i first had the botox, i was so tired i just wanted to sleep the experience away but now in the last week i am not going to sleep as well and i am waking up early..i wonder if this means botox is starting to wear off? The main thing that worries me now is that i cannot see the tv when i watch it still ,i went for eye test last week after A&E told me my sight wasnt too good and worse in my left eye. The eye test has come back that i am short sighted and needs glasses asap ,again worse in my left eye. Is this down to botox? i dont know but i did not notice a sight problem before. I really hope that i feel normal soon and my own anxiety about all this goes because i will NEVER have botox again, it just is not worth putting your precious body at risk for.
I contacted a lawyer last year, and they determined that I didn't have a case since none of my issues related to the Botox were visible. I still suffer from horrible anxiety, vision issue and was diagnosed with PTSD by my Psychologist because of my experience with the Botox (which I don't take lightly considering I am married to someone who is in the Army and have a family full of military members, some of which suffer from combat PTSD). I feel kind of defeated by the whole thing. I wasn't looking for a huge payout, I just wanted some sort of justice to be had. I wanted validation that what I went through was directly due to the Botox. It's now been over 2 1/2 years for me.
I had several botox injections two weeks ago and I can't believe how horrible the side effects are. I was so healthy and happy before the botox. Now I have a permanent mild pain across my forehead. I have black circles under my eyes and hollows under my eyes which I have never had before. I am never depressed and a chemical depression came and sat on me like a black dog. I have anxiety and can't sleep. The muscles in my neck are so tense I can't believe it. I know I have several months of this suffering to go and I am so angry. How dare these people inject poison into you and tell you it will all be good. DON'T ANYONE EVER TRY BOTOX IT IS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!
It is going on two months now since my injections. My eye is about 75% open, but face looks different. I too, now have circles under my eyes. The horrible thing is that I have all these side effects AND the forehead lines are returning. I agree with you "Lime_girl". If I could be an advocate for a "No More Botox" campaign!!
Hi frenchgirl. Yeah we get sucked in. I still have a bit of a headache but I am feeling better. I hope the worst symptoms don't come back. Two months wow that's a long time. I know I have permanent nerve damage from other procedures. There are very few really compentent surgeons around. You just think 'oh I'll try this, make myself feel/look better. Really the benefits are negligible and the other things that can happen ....well. I just want to feel happen, clean faced and fit if you know what I mean. Hope you feel better soon. It really knocked me over in the beginning. I'm wondering how much he gave me. There were quite a few needle pricks.
I am sure that my problems occured because of only two pricks right between the eyes, and too low, so it affected my eyes. It is a slow recovery process. I also contacted Allergan, the company that makes Botox. They have followed my progress. They called again two days ago to find out how I was doing. I am going to write to this doctor today and ask for a refund. They actually offered me my next treatment for free. I will never take a Botox treatment again. I have used a week of vacation time, several costly prescriptions, and suffered with migraines, dry eye, etc.
It is three weeks ago for me since only 15 units were injected into my forehead for frown line. My left eye is almost shut, right eye socket feels like it is pulling, and my forehead feels like someone whacked me with a board. I cannot believe that such a small amount has done this to me. I have taken this week off work in hopes that it will improve. It feels worse. I am going to cry, what a fool I was to do this. I have to put my life on hold, lose sick days, cancel social engagements. (And, yes, I have the eye drops, but they don't do anything.)
There are zero deaths attributed with Botox cosmetic.
Out of hundreds of thousands of applications for the treatment of spasticity in children with cerebral palsy, there have been a recorded 207 adverse events, out of those, there were seven deaths, however none of those deaths were associated or linked with Botulism Toxicity. The children, such as my own child, receives thousands of units to treat spasticity.
A far cry from the 10-20 units you're receiving for cosmetic use.
The explanation of infection in your lungs and sinuses would be related to bacterial infection or from a vital infection, not from a toxin exposure. If you had a botulism toxicity that affected your respiratory system, you'd have been treated with mechanical ventilation for paralysis, not antibiotics.
Maybe this is why non of the almost dozen different antibiotics I took helped with the infections!
I received 48 units, not 10-20. I pray nothing bad happens to you or your child when you receive Botox, but if it were to, I am sure you would be singing a different tune. You sound like the doctors who are paid to administer the Botox and defend it to no avail. Until you have a bad reaction that occurs IMMEDIATELY after receiving Botox, you have no business saying it is not caused by the Botox, when clearly it is. Maybe you are just trying to make yourself feel better and reassure yourself concerning your own injection of the toxin.
Sachamama: Great that it works for your child but how dare you invalidate the experience of many, many people.
No More Botox: Totally 100% agree with you.

Since we are here to discuss the pros and cons of different treatments, lets try to keep the conversation focused on Botox and not get derailed into aiming remarks at others. Different experiences are encouraged to be shared, as we need to hear about the good and bad, not just one or the other.

If you knew the sides effects that can occur with this stuff you would never ever want your child to have a chance of suffering like this!
The red "lumps" is just the collection of the product under your skin. It takes 1-3 hours for it to be absorbed. This is typical.
The itching is generally from the carrier and skin stretching/injury from the needle (think mosquito bite)

Everything else, aside from the ptosis (droop) sounds psychosomatic or vasovagal - not an adverse medical reaction.

The amount of botulism in a botox injection for a forehead smoothing (30-50units) is nominal and has never caused any permanent or significant injury. People have hundreds of units injected for treatment of neurological issues like dystonia or myclonus - my son who has cerebral palsy receives botox to treat muscle spasm in his neck and back.

I have had 30-50 units injected into my forehead and around my eyes, every four months for the past 8 years and have never ever had a reaction aside from the injection bumps, as described. However, I do have vasovagal reaction from having other injections (into my arm) which sound similar (sweating, heart racing, nausea feeling faint) and it all has to do with what my brain is doing, not what is actually occurring.