Botox Nightmare-Ended Up in ER-Never Will Get Injected Again! Horrible...

I am in my late 20's and had a nurse at a...

I am in my late 20's and had a nurse at a local spa suggest Botox for my forehead to correct wrinkles/lines and crows feet. She tole me I could expect a "Botox headache" and maybe flu-like symptoms for a day or two after.

It has been 5 days since I was injected and as I write this, my heart is racing, the left side of my face is numb and tingly, and I have muscle weakness and extreme anxiety. Almost immediately after being injected for the first time, I swelled up with bumps on the injection sites, turned red and was sensitive to the touch, at each injection location. I also felt sick to my stomach, tired, weak and could not eat. I also had a taste in the back of my throat, like the Botox was coming down my sinuses or something of that nature. It had a weird, medicinal taste to it.

I called the nurse who administered the Botox and received an RX steroid cream to reduce the swelling/redness. It helped, but now I have bruising, and the area in between my eyes looks off and I have a "stern" look. The night after the injection, I noticed that the left side of my face was numb and had a tingling sensation, my noise was also very itchy which I found bizarre but is probably due to the tingling sensation. I also noticed that my eyebrows felt very heavy and were beginning to droop! (this is a known side effect of Botox I now know.

I have lost 3 lbs in 5 days, when I do manage to keep food down, my stomach is so sensitive that I cannot keep it in me for long.

Yesterday morning I panicked after waking up and finding the numbness and tingling worse. My mouth/tongue was dry and I could not eat and experienced trouble swallowing. My heart felt like it was jumping in my chest and I proceeded to drive myself to the ER in a panic. They checked my vitals, checked my urine and everything was ok. I was given steroids, an antacid and an RX for Benadryl, Prednisone, and Pepcid. Today, as mentioned above, my heart is still beating fast, I have muscle weakness and a tightness and feeling of pressure all over my head and neck. I contacted Allergan (the makers of Botox) and filled out an Adverse event report with the FDA.

This has been one of the worst experiences of my life. I feel like such an idiot for allowing myself to get a toxin put in my body! What was I thinking? Lesson learned, and I will never do this again. I just wish I could get the toxin removed from my body, or better yet go back in time and never get suckered in to getting injected in the first place! I much rather prefer my wrinkles/lines over all these horrible side effects that I now have. I really felt doomed, and sometimes still do. What if my symptoms continue to get worse? I feel like a bad mom for being so shallow and putting myself through this and potentially doing some serious damage to myself with two small children at home. I really just assumed that this was a quick and easy procedure with "little down time". I have no known allergies. Botox is presented as safe; millions of women get it done every year, and I was one of the few individuals who unfortunately developed a very bad reaction to it.

I only wish I had done more research beforehand, and not trusted someone who is out to make money and who could not care less about me or my health. I am assuming that the lady who administered the Botox either gave me too much (48 units) or injected it incorrectly? Is it true that Botox does not come "ready to use out of the box" so to speak, and has to be combined with a solution by the injector? Maybe this is the problem? All I know, is that when the Spa opens back up in a day, they will be hearing from me and I WILL receive my $480 dollars refunded back to me, one way or the other.

Please trust your instincts and remember that Botox is made out of a serious toxin, botulism. It is not worth it. I feel like my own vanity got the best of me, and I certainly found out the hard way to just be happy with the way I am!!! Not to mention, I am very embarrassed by this whole disaster as well having my whole family know about! My mom even flew in lastnight to help me out with my kids!

If you have had a similar experience, please let me know so I do not feel so alone!!! This site has already helped me a lot. Or, if you can answer any of the questions I asked above, please let me know. I just pray that things do not get worse for me, I am hoping since it is now day 5, the Botox wont spread too much more and I wont continue to get worse. Thanks.

Yes! Very similar. I had such bad panic attacks I too went to the ER. I was having harder time taking deep breaths which lead to claustrophobic sensations, my neck and head began to feel extreneky overheated. Head felt like it was in a vice, such bad headaches. Eye lids so heavy I slept for a week. I just kept taking benedryl and xanax and just tried to sleep through the horrible side effects. I have never been the same since. I think I have developed something called MCS, multiple chemical sensitivity. Since botox 3 years ago my body is overly sensitive to foreign things that enter my body. I am overly anxious in general as a person and more worried about how my body will react. Even taking a Tylenol i get anxiety. My nervous system has never been the same since. I can;t control it. I want to go back to my old self :(
I am 75 years old and had a year long nightmare because I kept taking the shots for migraines. I was in the emergency room 3 times and had 7 test... They could do nothing. Finally I quit! I now am 4 months out still feel tired but feel much better.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Well, I had 5 sessions with a migraine specialist so he should have know what he was doing! 75% of people have no problems so don't judge those of us who have been through H--- and back.

amen!
At first, I did not want to dignify your ignorant post with a response, but as the originator of my Botox story that you are referring to, I feel like I have to defend myself and others who have suffered horribly from Botox like I have. First of all, where do you come up with your bogus 40% stats? You almost sound like you work for Allergan, or maybe a doctor who injects this toxin to act like such a know it all?!? Regardless, to call my story "phony" is a slap in the face. I went through pure hell for about a year because of Botox and for you to minimize my awful experience is beyond demeaning. Personally, I wouldn't wish what I experienced, (IMMEDIATELY after being injected with Botox) on my worst enemy. What I went through is not made up or in my head and for you to imply that is beyond insulting...Your injector is probably getting a good laugh at all the money she is making off of YOU. You call us "crazy" yet you are the one paying someone to continuously inject a known neurotoxin into your face. I made the mistake once, and learned my lesson the first time. But please, don't come crying back on here after one of your Botox treatments turns on you and you end up with horrible and maybe even irreversible side effects from it...People (including little kids) have died after being injected with Botox! Look it up, do a little research-there is reason why there is a blackbox warning on the product! By the way, I lost weight because I had an immediate allergic reaction to Botox and because the Botox travelled to parts of my body where it should not have gone. My stomach was so upset that I couldn't eat and what I did eat came out anyway...I hate to say it, but I can't wait for karma to bite you in the butt!!!
What are U talking about, first I did not mention 40% anywhere and second I had terrible side effects from Botox. How did I not agree with your statements and I also suffered for a year. I will never take injections of any kind. I don't know whose post U were reading but it wasn't mine. I know from experience your story is not phony!!! I lost 20 pounds and was in the emergency room 3 times and had 7 test! I quit taking Botox on March 2014 and now feel fine!
I was referring to a post that was removed because it was calling us Botox sufferers liars. The post is no longer showing but my rebuttal to this attack is still there. So for the mix up!
Give me the date U said I made the post I did not make!
I saw that post... Glad it was taken off.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Here here, you're above name calling! I didn't see the post, but without hers, yours is over the top. I don't have stellar results either (muscle spasms from, etc), but I don't think the people who use it are doing a bad thing. We bombard ourselves with poison (chemicals, etc) every day :(
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I have had tingling in my ears since I had Botox treatment six weeks ago. Although the this symptom comes and goes, it is mostly present and very annoying. I have contacted the dermatologist and he denies that this is a side effect of the botox and advised me to see an ENT doctor.
I wonder if the Botox has caused a retraining of other muscles, which in turn affect the rest of the head - ie TMJ. Maybe not, but the thought did occur to me.
I didn't start botox injections until I was 65 years old..Now I get xeomin (works better for me) . I have no problems with it. Yes I do get a headache for a couple of hours and I get 50 units every 5 months. Looking on here I see people that are 29 and getting injections. seriously that is way to young ...go get some retin A
I model for a living I had to. agent was making me. I suffered too many times. I going to give up on my modeling career because my body is harshly punished and its just not worth it anymore. I have to accept myself.
I have taken Botox for almost a year (every three months) and have experienced the same thing you have...I had the worst five day mega headache in my entire life...I took the Botox for headaches. I am now nine weeks our and am feeling much better. I also experienced weakness in my arms and legs also lost 20 pounds and could not eat half of the time because my stomach was so upset. I will never take Botox again. I know that it does not effect everyone, so each person should be well informed and make their own judgment. Sorry for all you have gone through.
Hi how long did all this last as I can't swallow any solid food this happened 2 days after I had Botox for the second time but I only left 3 months I between them
This all seems very dramatic to me because I have been using botox for 5 years ( at three different locations) with absolutely no issues whatsoever, certainly not any of things you all have experienced; however, I agree that botox is not for everyone I am sure. I have always been injected by a medical doctor, not a nurse,from a well established place and I make sure the box is sealed so I know they are opening a new vile each time from the freezer. Not sure if that helps anyone but I understand why people are leery.
consider yourself lucky then. It may seem dramatic when it's not happening to you! Just because you have been getting injected with toxin for 5 years doesn't mean one of those injections will go horribly wrong one day. At least you've been made aware of what COULD happen to you...
This is crazy! I don't know who to thank??? You... a stranger or my angles sending me this CLEAR, CLEAR message! It has crossed my mind before in years past. I'm 33 now and had ruff chunk of my 20s living alongside my big brother who suffered from mental illness and addiction. I just got home from my own therapy for PTS disorder from my 20s and bipolar brought on by the events. I look at myself and then pictures of my self right before my 23rd birthday. This makes me sad and angry that I slowly developed premature frown rinkles between my eyebrows. I just looked at a picture of my brother who did in 2011 succeeded in taking his own life, Looked at the pic and we still are very close I talk to him all the time and can still be silly with him. Iv forgivin him and my self. with an anoannoyed sigh said I hate my now permanent anger frown even when I smile i said you Turd...all the pain and hurt I could not fix for you, now I'm so insecure about (how) I should look. I thought I'll call and just get the botox and fix it just like that! Ijust now woke up from a God awful nightmare that my jaw was going completely tingly and swelling, I was sooo sleepy having trouble keeping my eyes open. I was freaking out my face now was swelling I could not breath my face hurt so bad! I found myself falling out of my car at the ER and then I woke up. I rolled over with my heart racing and i typed im whatdoes it mean to dream of my neck closing up and your message came up first. I had my hair on my body standing up! Maybe it was my brother showing me in my dream that it would be a horrible mistake to get the botox! I have the biggest smile/frown right now! your Totaly right! My brother is right my angles are right, now my gut is right! Look in the mirror Emma, your rinkles tell a story, they make you the strong woman you now are today! Well, THANK YOU STRANGER!! I'm beautiful just the way I am! Happy frown and all:)!
Also, my Dr said that it might not be the botox that causes these horrible feelings we get from the botox injection but it is very possible its the shit they mix it with and water it down with . But still i am put off for life! no more botox for me EVER!
Hey guys ! its been 4 months since my horrible botox experience and i am so much better ! my muscles twitch still but im so usedto it now :( i am not feeling any anxiety or depression or weird aches and pains like i did the first few months. I Know you will all get better : ) it just take a bit of time. Sucks . Hope everyone is doing good and staying happy and focused on knowing u will feel back to normal soon : ) Xx