Healing Nicely -Tampa, FL

5 children (including 2 sets of twins) and weight...

5 children (including 2 sets of twins) and weight gain/loss has left me with sad breasts. Not only are they small, but they are droopy. I initially wanted to do a lift with no implants, but the longer it's been since I discontinued nursing, the smaller my breasts have become and I have wrapped my head around the idea of a small implant. I pretty much want a reconstruction of what I did have.

I did my homework and had consults with multiple surgeons. I then picked "the one" and called to schedule my surgery the next day. I am having this done a few months before a scheduled tummy tuck. The surgeon feels that with the amount of damage to repair with the tummy tuck, it was best to do two separate surgeries.
I'm a bit nervous, but excited to finally be getting closer to my goal of getting my body back. While I wait I'm trying to lose the last few pounds I've been working on by continuing weight watchers and doing fitness boot camp. I hope all the pain, money, and work is worth the end result!
I have a preop appointment in just over a month, so will be sure to update with how that goes. I think my husband will be going to help with sizing and ensure he knows what to expect with the surgery too.

4/23- Had my pre-op appointment today. Went over...

4/23- Had my pre-op appointment today.
Went over all the forms, took pre-op photos, and decided on sizing. I'm going with a bit larger implant than I originally anticipated, but I think it will provide a nice end result. I hope I made the right choice, time will tell. I'm starting to get excited, it feels real, in less than 2 weeks I'll be having surgery, which makes me a bit nervous. I can't wait for it to all be over!

Surgery is on Friday, it's feeling very real now...

Surgery is on Friday, it's feeling very real now that I'm down to the wire. I've been getting things ready around the house for my initial recovery, making final shopping trips, have my prescriptions filled, will put fresh sheets on the bed tomorrow and wash with the special scrub tomorrow night. Extra help is planned so there will be one person to take care of the kids and one to take care of me for the first few days. I have to be at the surgery center by 6 am, and should be in surgery by 7. 4 hours expected in surgery plus another hour or two for recovery from anesthesia. I've had the worst time finding short sleeved button-up shirts, which I've heard are good for post surgery- so I guess I'll just have to stick to my PJ's until I'm feeling up to anything else. Hopefully it won't be too long before I'm back to "normal."

Surgery went well, about 4 1/2 hours, then took me...

Surgery went well, about 4 1/2 hours, then took me another 1 1/2 hours to be awake enough for DH to join me in recovery. I was a bit nauseated at that point, so they gave me meds for that and an oxy for the pain and I was feeling pretty well, about the level of discomfort I expected.
Hours later at home I was having pretty bad pain, worse than I expected, but laid in bed for the most part and kept on top of the pain meds well.
Definitely feeling a bit less pain this morning, still lots of discomfort, but not the same high level as last night.
I did end up finding a suitable button up PJ set at walmart that worked great post op, because I didn't have to lift my arms to get it on. Between the PJ's and the pharmacy medications, that was an additional roughly $45 dollars in surgery "expenses", so very low.

I'm still having quite a bit of pain. More than I...

I'm still having quite a bit of pain. More than I expected, but controlled to a tolerable level if I stay on top of my meds. Hoping tomorrow is better!

I had my first Post-Op appointment today and had...

I had my first Post-Op appointment today and had the "big reveal." They look a lot better than I had expected. I'm looking forward to them getting to their final shape and continued healing, but I'm happy with them for being only 3 days post-op!

What I've learned about getting “new” boobs...

What I've learned about getting “new” boobs.
I did a lot of research, online and off before deciding to go under the knife. I didn’t take it lightly, I knew parts of it would suck, I thought it was still worth it, I thought I was as prepared as I could be.
I’m 5 days out, and it’s interesting how much you have to experience yourself.
Having another person tell you about their experience is not always a good indicator of what you may experience. I’ll divide it into categories, sharing my experience, which as noted- may vary (significantly) from your own.

the Operation

I didn’t die, so that’s a huge plus. It was a long procedure, 4-4 1/2 hours. Under general anesthesia. I woke up and immediately told them #1 I felt like throwing up. They said they’d get me something for that. #2, it really hurts. They gave me something for that too. I took an 1 1/2 hour nap and woke up feeling much better. So much better I was ready to hit the road, and wanted T to stop and buy me a burrito because I was starving. My husband told me the doctor had came out right about the time I started to take my long nap and told him “She’s going to love them!” This was reassuring to me- #1, he sounded very confident. #2, it wasn’t “you’ll love them” or “they look great” it was “She’s going to love them” which is what I was going for- after all, I never forget- it is my body and I’m the only one I did this for.

Pain

The pain day 1 was about what I expected, didn’t feel good but was controllable- until the numbing wore off- then it was worse than I had expected.

day 2 was hard to control the pain, even with maximum doses of medication at the closest intervals. (Oxycodone and Valium)

day 3 the pain started to subside for sure, less medication and further spaced.

day 4, pretty much like day 3.

day 5, I’m still having lots of soreness and some tightness, but *really* wanted to be able to drive, so decided against taking hardcore pain meds.

I’m in that difficult place, having less pain than warrants oxy IMO but more than tylenol controls well. So, I took some tylenol and said “bleh, I’ve been through worse.”

Depression

Yep, you love your new boobs, you don’t love all the things you want to do, but can’t. Including- working out, driving (on meds),sleeping in a position you are comfortable in (previously a tummy or side sleeper), taking a shower (for a couple days), or taking a nice relaxing bath, wearing regular clothes/bras. And, yeah, all that fluid and stuff from surgery, combined with my comfort eating- means WW will be no joy. Just remember- Tears may ensue, don’t be shocked- this is actually quite common. Both, some women regret their procedures, and then there are women like me who love their results, but hate the recovery and feel down about it. Most demoralizing to me- the realization that my next procedure will be 10X worse in terms of recovery and limitations.

Cosmetics

Early post op is not a good time to decide you “hate” your new boobs. The placement, shape, brusing, ect will all be different in the long run. My cosmetic results have actually been exceptional for so early post op. Very little bruising and very symetrical- they still need to “drop” but otherwise I’m pretty impressed. I’ll be excited once the strips are all removed to see the “final” result.

Activities of Daily Living

As mentioned above, the limitations on bathing, sleeping, driving ect. can be rough. I’ve always been independent and kind of type A. So, not being able to do tons of stuff I usually do and depending on others to help me and take care of my kids is really hard. Most people will be back to “normal-ish” in about a week (0r less). I had lunch with T and went to a store today (by myself!!!) but it will be some time before I can lift (any of) the kids again.

Fashion

Wear button up PJ’s (top/bottom) to surgery/home- the nurses commented on how more people should really do that! I was comfortable and it’s a darn surgery center, no one looked at me funny for wearing pajamas!

Buy button up shirts for post op, you’ll thank me. Only one or two of many things I read online had mentioned this. I think it’s important since lifting your arms above your head is discouraged. I had good luck finding inexpensive, comfortable button up shirts at JCP.

The best bras I found, once I got the blessing to ditch the hideous post-op one, were at Walmart. They are Fruit of the Loom, have hooks all up the front and a thick soft bottom band with a full back for real support. The claim “so comfortable” you’ll forget you’re wearing it, has actually proven true- which rocks, since I have to wear one 24/7 for awhile.

Worth it factor

I’m still in the thick of recovery, but probably (hopefully) past the worst. I think it was worth it, and I’d do it again. I’m feeling “at home” in my body again. It’s what gives me the push forward to proceed with the more difficult but more rewarding second surgery.

New Pics, Straight out of the shower, so the...

New Pics, Straight out of the shower, so the "black" isn't usually that dark when the strips aren't wet. Forgive my hairy pits, I haven't felt quite up to maneuvering a razor in there lately ;) Waiting for the big "drop" as you can see there is still some "extra" skin in the bottom portion of the breast.

15 days

New pictures up tonight. Had surgery 15 days ago and I think I'm healing well. I think there is still some "dropping" to do, and of course, I can't wait for the scars to fade- I think we all feel that way! I'm very happy with my shape though and excited to see what the "end" result looks like.

Laser Treatment

I had laser scar treatment done yesterday with my PS. It stung a little but wasn't as bad as he had prepared me for (always awesome when it's not as bad as you expect!)
There was definitely some redness the rest of the day, and it was a bit tender, but the redness has seriously subsided (barely noticeable most places) and I'm not having any tenderness. My visit went well and I don't have to go back for a whole month! Yay! I'm going to start using biocorneum gel on my scar lines, I'm hoping it makes them even better. I'll keep updating as there are changes :)

My Specs.

I'm 5'3" and right about 140 lbs. currently (waiting on TT to get rid of some extra skin).

My BA/Augmentation used: 525cc Mentor Silicone Mod+ Implants in each breast placed sub pectoral, lollipop incisions.

Looks great, thank you for all of the insight. I"m around the Tampa area and doing consultations for a lift. Who did you go to?
Looking good!! I also had a vertical lift and BA... 10 days post op today... What size implant did you chose? Saline or Silicone? I didn't see you specify in your review... What is your weight now? I'm asking since we seem similar and size :)

Sounds like your pre-op is coming up soon for your Breast Lift/Augmentation in May. Here is a list of questions you may want to address with your PS if you haven't already. How is weight watchers and boot camp going? Looking forward to your updates!

I really need to get my hubby to take some pics to share! Bootcamp has been going well, I'm definitely toning and getting stronger and being in better shape should help with recovery. On the weightwatchers front, it's funny that I've actually gained some weight (from all the muscle I've built in bootcamp) but still *look* thinner. People keep asking me "Did you lose weight" LOL.

Yes, get some pics now so you can have fun viewing the before and after shots! Makes sense about your weight gain as muscle weighs more than fat. Keep up the good work!