Finally flat in Syracuse, NY

This site has been a huge help to me. I am a 42...

This site has been a huge help to me. I am a 42 year old woman, 5'10" and 155 lbs. I weighed about 175 in high school, and gained more weight in college, eventually getting up to 198 at my highest. I was one of those people who really didn't know how big they were. At about age 23, I woke up and realized that I needed to do something about my weight. I got down into the 150s, but my belly was stubborn, and no amount of exercise or diet affected it.

I had lipo to my lower abs (at the PS's recommendation). I thought that I needed all of my abdominal area done. It looked better than before, but my upper abs now looked big. I continued to diet and exercise, but nothing really touched my upper abs. I had lipo to my upper abs in 2009. While it looked better, I now had some excess skin that really bothered me. This year, I decided that I needed to finally do something about it.

I did a lot of research online (RealSelf was very helpful). I had a consultation with a PS at the end of January, and decided it was something I wanted to do, and probably should have done in 2009, rather than just lipo. I was able to get the opening that they had in February, otherwise I would have had to wait until the end of March. I had a TT with lipo of the abs and flanks yesterday. The surgery part took about 2 1/2 hours. I woke up very groggy and in some moderate pain, with a little nausea. They said that I couldn't leave until I urinated. I tried and tried, but eventually ended up having to be catheritized, which wasn't as unpleasant as I had expected.

My bf has been wonderful with helping me during the recovery. I have some tightness in my abs, and have to walk bent over to keep the stitches intact. I have been taking the Oxycodone every 4-5 hours so that I prevent pain before it occurs. I'd rather not get to the point where it hurts terribly. I also have a pain pump, which my PS said is for the muscular pain, and that it would run for 4 days, at which point I just pull it out. Haven't had much of an appetite. I was a little nauseous after eating some applesauce, so my bf brought me an anti-nausea pill, and then I threw up a very small amount. That hurt quite a bit.

I have a drain which we have been emptying every 4 hours. I haven't seen the surgical area yet, so I can't comment on the outcome of the surgery just yet. I will have to let you all know when I do. I will post pictures then as well. My PS was very calming, and explained the procedure once again, making sure that I didn't have any further questions. The nurses were great, and gave me time after the surgery to get to the point where I was comfortable to leave.

I am planning on posting pictures as much as I can...

I am planning on posting pictures as much as I can :) So far, the whole process has been better than anticipated.
Syracuse Plastic Surgeon

The entire office at DeRoberts PS were wonderful. My initial consultation with the PS was about 45 minutes.

Just got a breast reduction and now my stomach looks horrible......getting a consult in a few weeks with my PS for a tummy tuck.....I live in syracuse and have a great dr....I am a server and my job is very physically demanding....honestly how long do u think I could be out of work. Want to schedule surgury and need to know how many weeks I should take off...
Honestly if you can, take 2 weeks off, especially since you have an active job. You will walk hunched over for at least 4 days and even after a week you won't have the energy to do much. It is major surgery. Plus, the longer you can follow the dr's instructions to rest, the better your result will be.
You look really good that sucks about your BB, it looks nice though the shape and all!
Good idea. Supposed to wear the binder through next Monday but after that I think I will wear the spanx like thing that I have.
Maybe just get some spanx or something to wear to work for support, I agree with my arms I liked the feeling of tightness against the scars it just felt better!!!
I have a job that is primarily a desk job. Yesterday was especially so because I came back to over 200 emails after being off for 2 weeks. I have the freedom to get up and move around, so I tried to do so at least every hour. If I'm not sitting at my desk, I am sitting in the car, so it was a lot of sitting. I only have to wear the binder during the day thru next Monday, and then 3 weeks of just nighttime wearing, so hopefully it gets better. Kind of feel protected by the binder though...will be weird to be without it.
I saw you said you went back to work, do you have a desk job? How was it sitting for a full 8 hours???
You know when I had my arms my doc said to use bacitracin too not neosporin, so I have a big thing of that, now i know the reason, he was very adamant about not using neosporin.
Just had my 2 week follow-up to get my stitches out. Dr. DeRoberts was super nice to fit me in today because I had concerns Friday afternoon about my belly button (my appt was originally scheduled for tomorrow afternoon). He checked it out and said that the neosporin could be the cause because there are 3 antibiotics in it vs. plain bacitracin...the extra could be irritating it...and to only use it once a day. He also made sure that I knew what to do until my next appointment in 3 weeks, and made sure that i had the written instructions that they geve me last time. My scar looks super awesome...very flat and thin. He really is good at what he does. When the brown tape comes off (he also put new tape on today),, I will post pics of the scar.
Exactly right....I guuess it is so routine to them that they don't realize that it is the simple things that can cause confusion, especially when you are in a fog.
Waited- I found that out wiht my first surgery I woke up they sent me home in a fog and I was like now what do I do, I guess enough people complained that now at the pre op they gave me a whole folder of after care and went over everything, I said I dont want to be all whacked out and then not know what is going on, and my husband well he was trying to take it all in, so now I feel more confident. I also said can you show us both how to do the drains before surgery! You look wonderful though, I wish doctors would be more clear with directions it is such a nerve wracking time, I was glad my doc was this time!
Hi Ammi. I really am happy so far with the outcome, and everyone at the office was great/ My only complaint (and it is a minor one) is that all of the instructions were not written down. For example, I left my bandage on my belly button for 8 days because no one told me to take it off after 2 days. I would have really liked the aftercare instructions given to me in writing prior to the surgery, just so I was aware. They gave them to my bf, and as helpful as he was, he hadn't been involved until that day. Just to be fair, I went on my consult at the end of January, and they asked when I wanted to get it done, so I said ASAP. They had an opening in early Feb, so I jumped on it, leaving no time for a pre-surgical consult ( I told them that they could do it right then and there).
After they took the incision stitches out, they gave me some other verbal instructions (i.e. use cocoa butter on the incision) while I was still sitting on the exam chair getting re-taped only wearing a paper sheet, so my mind waasn't really focused on what it should have been. I did get some of the instructions in writing, but it would have been nicer to have been given a 2 minute sit down chat after I was re-dressed and could take notes. So minor complaints, but overall, I am pleased that I chose Dr. DeRoberts. Icontacted a practice in Fayetteville, but they wanted $100 just for a consult, and it would be applied to the procedure, but they wouldn't give me ANY info over the phone (like cost, when they were scheduling, etc). That rubbed me the wrong way.
I have been looking in to ps in the Syracuse area, so it is fabulous to hear some good feed back about a ps..I'm planning on setting up consults and will go to dr. Deroberts first!
Oh boy is it ever! I just went grocery shopping (short trip) and to the bank...all by myself! Felling pretty good...back still achy after being upright for so long, but getting better each day! Nice that your hubby can help for 5 days...that will be a huge help!
That is good to hear hubby will be with me the first 5 days then I will be alone so I am hoping to be OK, we will see. Did I see that you got your drain out? Yippee I bet that is a relief!!!!
I agree..he did a wonderful job. After 2 rounds of lipo in the past that didn't give me the results I expected, I think I am finally happy with my stomach! I don't want people to think it was a walk in the park. I kept taking the oxycodone every 4 hours and I think that helped. I got home from surgery on Monday afternoon. My bf stayed with me Monday night and Tuesday night, but then I was alone from Wednesday afternoon thru Thursday evening and then from Friday morning until 10 pm Sunday night...so I knew I'd have to manage alone. I guess I expected the worst, and got lucky...hope you luck out too!!
Yes I think the tape is the 3M micropore tape, you do look really good, the incision looks really clean, he did a fabulous job, you are going to have fun shopping this summer!!!! I hope I have an easy time like you, it is good to read about easy ones too!!!
Thanks for the nice compliments :) I did have a lot of skin that wasn't budging no matter how hard I tried, especiaaly bothered me when I bent over...just saggy and ug! Can't complain though...I was able to lose weight and could afford a TT to fix what I couldn't on my own! My PS said he used a special stitch to close, but other than than, he used just regular tape from what I can tell. No glue that I know about. I just went back for my drain removal, and they removed the tape and stitches and he put on some brown paper tape, which he said keeps the scarring to a minimum and makes it flat. I am to leave that on for 1-2 weeks until it falls off, and then can use cocoa butter or eucerin cream on it. He said that I looked great for 1 week out, so I am pleased!
You look super!!!! Can I ask did your doc use glue on the incision? Your incision looks really good, did you have like the 3M micropore tape over it? WOW you are so thin you are going to be looking super,I would be happy with your before, LOL
Thanks for the kind comments and support! Best of luck and happy healing to all :)
Happy and healthy healing!!
You look good even before...but you are going to look WONDERFUL now!!!! Congrats lady!!!
Hi waitedenough hope all is well!
waitedenough - my PS told me to walk bent over for a week then gradually stand straighter as comfort allowed. Glad you are doing well. I also took before pix the morning of the surgery but have not posted them yet. Looking forward to seeing your pix!