Removed PIP Implants After 8 Years - Switzerland, CH

I am 36 years old and got my implants 8 years ago...

I am 36 years old and got my implants 8 years ago at the age of 28. I found out I had PIP implants while I was pregnant, so I could not have them removed straight away. I am now ready to get them out, but like most of you, I am petrified of the outcome.

I started off with no boobs at all. Small A cup (I added a before implant photo too). I blindly trusted the surgeon on size and he inserted 275cc implants. I thought they were a bit big at the time, but I got used to it and actually quite liked the shape and size.

But now that I have a lovely family and couldn't ask for anything more, my health is just so much more important than big breasts. The thought of having a replacement every 10-15 years fills me with dread and I just want to get these implants out so that I can stop worrying about what it is doing to my body and if it is leaking out every time one of my kids climb onto me. hug me or play with me.

I have already seen one surgeon as soon as my baby was born who told me that "275 cc implants are very generous" and he does not advice removal without replacement. I really did not get a good feeling about his attitude towards removing them, so I have an appointment with another surgeon on the 30th of October. Hopefully he can schedule me in before the end of this year (Plastic surgeons around here seem to be very busy and it takes a good month to even get an appointment).

Thank you to all you wonderful ladies who have posted your stories and photos to give me the information I needed to make the decision to have my implants removed.

Pah to that surgeon! I just had 310ccs removed (in for 9 year) and yes, they need to plump up a bit but I've gone back to an A cup which I was before my BA. Good luck with your next consultation NBK. Check out my profile. X
Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I would most definitely not complain if they end up being larger :-). Fingers crossed.
you will look great, just a little different than before. take a look at my droopy 350ccs and see who is scared! the size of the implant is relative to the frame, and they do not look at all big on you.

Today I received the quote from the first PS I saw...

Today I received the quote from the first PS I saw. He did not even include the option of explantation only.
The quote only has one option and that is replacement (came in at a whopping 9800 Swiss Francs!!).
I hope the surgeon I am seeing tomorrow is a bit more supportive.
SSF Schweiz   Do you know about this self help group in Switzerland. They probably know a PS that could do your explant. Postfach CH-8048 Zürich/Altstetten mail@ssf-info.com www.ssf-info.com
Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
Ha! Typical!! Hope you have better luck tomorrow! On a different note, you have the most beautiful skin and I think you'll look fantastic after explant...Good luck x

The PS I saw yesterday was amazing. So sympathetic...

The PS I saw yesterday was amazing. So sympathetic and reassuring. He even said that in the last few years he found that more and more woman are explanting rather than replacing when it comes to the end of the implants life time. He also said that he completely understand that a woman would not want a foreign object in her body. It is not like any other procedure where you have it done and foget about it. It is always there inside you, and you need to have it replaced. Even the cost is less than I thought. I am so glad I shopped around and did not go to the first surgeon I saw. I went from feeling sick in my tummy whenever I thought about this to happy and super excited to get these out. He wants me to have a think about it and I have another appointment with him in December, and the operation will only be in January. So I will only be posting in the new year again, but I will most definitely be checking all your girl's progress in the meantime.
Hi, Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad you found one PS that understands, I first went to one too, the one that put them in, he was just shaking his head and laughing at me, I felt so bad. I find it hard to wait too, as I made my appointment in August already. See you then on the "other" side...and all the best!
Hi Sweet Girl--Just wanted to encourage you--you've found a great surgeon--one who will listen to you and HELP you. I have little ones, too, which makes having surgery a bit tricky, but know it will be worth it in the long run. January will be here before you know it! One of my dearest friends just had hers explanted, huge under-the muscle silicone, and she is a PERFECT A now. She looks healthy and normal and pretty and real!!! So happy you've found a great doctor!
Hi, I am 45 years old and I have had mine in for 8 years, I to was an a cup before, possibly an AA , I have 250cc over the muscle and will be having them out very soon, are yours over or under the muscle , I have read that under muscle imlants don't end up as droopy when removed, please put photo,s on when they r removed, this site is helpful to real woman in our position,

Booked my appointment for the operation today....

Booked my appointment for the operation today. Scheduled for 7th of January.
Suddenly the reality hit me and now I am petrified again. But still 100% sure I want to do this. The dr also mentioned the possibility of some sort of lift where the just cut around the nipple an move it up a bit. But we concluded to wait 6 months after the operation to see what the result is and thus leave my options open. The doctor says that recovery time is max about 1 week (worst case scenario if he has to remove capsules or clean out because of leakage, less if it is a straight forward removal). From reading the posts on this site, I will have to wait and see before I believe this :-). Some woman are talking about 3-6 weeks recovery on here.
I had a lift at the same time, like you I did not want to have repeat surgeries after having implants out. But I knew for sure I wanted a lift. I have breastfed two children plus having implants for almost 9 years. I knew they weren't going to look great. Plus I could not afford two operations. In terms of recovery I feel like I have experienced two types!! I developed an abscess on my left side which is now only just healed yet my right breast felt amazing and normal by a week or so. You just never know what comes next after surgery but fingers crossed it will be straight forward, as others have said, rest, rest and rest some more.
Same here Mrs West... I developed a hematoma on the night of surgery and had to be operated again the following day. What a setback! Now i have to keep the drains in for an entire week... Oh well, all for a greater good. Silicone free!!!
MrsWest, that is what I am so affraid of, the recovery. I actually also breastfed 2 kids for 9 months each and had my implants just one year less than you, so most likely I would need a lift too. I was trying to avoid a lift because as far as I knew they had to remove some breast tissue, and since I hardly have anyting left to remove, it is not ideal for me. But with this "internal lift" (if it is even the correct term) I think they do not remove any tissue. They just cut around the nipple and move it up a bit somehow - speaking very much under correction here. I dont think it is the "lolipop" cut that goes down from the nipple. I have an appointment with my dr again on Tuesday to discuss what this involve, then I will decice.

I saw the surgeon again today to discuss the lift....

I saw the surgeon again today to discuss the lift. It is not an "internal lift" (or at least he did not use this term). For a minor lift they can cut the skin around the areola without doing the vertical cut downwards (like the lolipop lift). They then remove a larger circle of skin and stitch the nipple back on. So imagine cutting a circle around the nipple and another larger circle around the outside of the nipple and then removing the skin between the two circles and stitching the nipple back on. He will then also take the implant out through this incision. He doesnt seem to think recovery time is much more - as confirmed by AmandaAgain. I am just concerned about a rupture and having to clean the capsule out. In this case another latger cut might be required in the fold of the breast.
I am now feeling a bit braver about the operation knowing that I will be having a lift too... as long as it all goes to plan :-)
thanks I will be thinking of as well. I was the same size as you pre implant. I'm not going for a lift and I'm sure I will probably need one but I'm chancing my luck!! I think you'd be fine without a lift :) also I would see if he can not remove the implant through the nipple as on here I have seen that various women's nipples have collapsed when being moved this way.May be different as he is doing a lift. I was told about this lift - which sounds great, one surgeon was all for it and another said I didn't have enough Brest tissue! I give up! I will just remove, cry and reassess! Don't know about you but I am so nervous and anxious. Anyhow good luck and keep me updated xx
Hi, i agree with the other comments, i dont see why you would need a lift at all, your breasts look very perky with the implants. mine were saggier than yours and I didnt need a lift. ALSO, many surgeons wait 6 months before doing a lift to see if its even necessary.
Thanks so much for the comment. I have decided to go with all of you ladies advice and not have the lift.

2 Days to go and I get this empty hole in my tummy...

2 Days to go and I get this empty hole in my tummy everytime the thought of surgery crosses my mind... which is about 5 times a minute! After some very much appreciated replies on my post I have decided not to have the donut lift and only to go for the explant and wait 6 months to decide if I need a lift. The dr told me that he would do some internal stitching so that there is some sort of lift happening from the inside. Sounds very much like what Swedish Mary had a couple of years ago.
Now off to buy a AA sports bra!
I will post pictures as soon as I can... if I dont look to too horrendous ;-)
Good luck for 2moro. PIP's ruined the life that I had and now they are gone I feel free and safe from the dangers of the silicone that had spilled into my body. You will be so happy after your removal. Keep us updated xx
Sweet Girl--I've been there--that feeling in your stomach that pesters and pesters . . . Take some deep breaths and remember that you are making a great decision in the interest of your health and well-being! You'll be done with all the worrying soon, and you'll get to rest, rest, rest while your body heals and mends itself. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised!! I know I was! Best wishes!!!
Good luck NBK, I also had pip's 250 cc's for 6 years. Thrilled to have the enemies out of me, no more poisonous risky threats... Peace and feeling relieved. Thank goodness for padding!!

I made it through to the other side. The pain is...

I made it through to the other side. The pain is hardly there and the implants were 100% in tact so the dr didnt have to do any clean-up inside. He said that it was a good decision not to go for the lift as i dont need one.
I am so releaved that it is all over now. I am looking at these implants on the table next to me and I can't believe I actually willingly had it put into my body. I am not wearing a compression bra and i have no drains. Dr said it is not required. I am taped up which makes by boobs look a bit strange, but I will take and post pictures as soon as i can. Thank you all so much for your support and taking the time to encourage me not to have the lift done.
Looking fab
you're looking hot lady! good result indeed x
You look perfect! So perky! :)

It is now one month after my operation and I am...

It is now one month after my operation and I am still so happy that I had this operation done. I love the results and I seriously think my boobs look better now than ever before (or maybe I am just in a better place now and accepted myself - you be the judge). My scars are quite large, but very thin and healing nicely. I am still wearing the silicone strips/plasters to help minimize the appearance of the scar, but it is in the fold so hardly visible.
Wow, what an amazing result...you look great. I am scheduled for explant March 1st....very excited and nervous as well. I'm not going for a lift, even tho one Dr. said I should...gonna take my chances. I hope mine look as good as yours! Wish me luck
Congrats for doing this! You look sexy!
You look beautiful x