Asthma and General Anesthesia Fears - Suwanee, GA

Hi everyone, I'm sure you can guess my...

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you can guess my question from my thread title, LOL. I have asthma and its controlled well depending on the season.. I'm 33 years old, with 3 children.. I have really been considering the bbl over 8 years now.. so now I finally got pass my fears, and decided to go through with the surgery,, until I developed asthma.. my dreams were pretty much shattered... I'm so so upset.. I have been doing a little research on this topic, I came up with nothing that satisfied my curiosity or anything that I had a clear understanding of... A little more about my asthma.. I m on a daily steroid (symbicort) to control my condition. I feel its well controlled but my problem is when I DO get upset or nervous I bring on my own asthma... I am afraid of having something go wrong while I'm under and somthing triggers me to have an attack on the table.. I assume that they will know if that happens??? I have so many questions n so little answers... So I thought what other better place can I be thats more informative, helpful, concerning passionate and supportive than Here (this ish better then facebook) lol! But seriously tho any information would be helpful and appreciated...

Anyone else have asthma that had a surgery this general anesthesia??
Thanks!!

theres a girl on here her name is geemmy she was taking about her asthma and seeing a pulmonologist during her preop testing. I dont know if she mentioned it here on rs, but she talked about it in the fb group. She was fine tho... Pray circles around it :-)
Good luck on your journey
Thanks girl and good luck on yours too!!
@ PrettyPhysique and BTW I think u going too have really nice Results
Thank you so much girl!! I hope so :)
Hi MzChiCity I would schedule a consult with a Dr. as some might have different protocols they follow for patients with different diagnosis. Good luck & let us know what you find out.
Great Advise..Thanks Ladies!!
As long as its controlled you should be fine I have it also.
Try posting it in the "Q&A" or the "Forum" sections...this may help you get a better response, specifically from doctors (which will be a better source); ALSO definitely try speaking with your surgeon about this, since he will be the one operating on you. Sometimes you can even ask the anesthesiologist questions in terms of the anesthesia, etc. I too have asthma & have been told that I have a heart murmur..BUT still I want this surgery. My asthma is brought on by allergies and the change in weather, specifically the spring and winter months (which is why I probably will have surgery summer/fall, when I am least likely to have an attack). Like you mine is well under control, but I do understand your fears. Most likely when you have your blood work done, depending on your surgeon, they may also ask you to go to a specialist for the asthma, in order for you to be cleared (which is very important to do, if your ps asks you to do this)...so with these test you will definitely know whether or not it is safe to continue or at least what you need to do, in order to be "fit" (for lack of a better word :0)) for surgery. I will definitely keep in touch, would love to know how it goes and what responses you get regarding your question. Great question by the way!!!
Thanks HeavenSent for the helpful advise, I will be sure to share my Journey!!
I wish I had the answers? Stay positive!! You will find the answers:]