New Nose is an A+ - Stanford, CA

So here's the thing: I wrote out what I thought...

So here's the thing: I wrote out what I thought was a great review for Dr. Most on Yelp. But darn Yelp kept putting me in the filtered section with about 30 other people which annoyed me so much I just deleted the whole thing and decided to write a review for my nose job here. If you want to see a bunch of reviews (Which are all 5 stars btw) for this doctor, go to Yelp, type in Sam Most Md and put the city as Stanford, Ca.

I know when I was researching which doctor to go to, what I was looking for was before and after pictures so this is the reason for my review- to post some. SOMEONE in the Bay Area has to be on the market for a new nose, so let my experience guide you.

Fantastic new nose from Dr. Most!

Hello everyone! 2 months ago I started this review after popping some Adderall to help me focus, finished all my work, started this review, finally managed to fall asleep, and never bothered to finish it. So here goes.

BACKGROUND: Since I was a kid my nose has been much wider than usual. For kids under 3, that sort of buttony nose only enhances the cuteness on round, infantile faces. But when you grow up you realize your face isn't as harmonious as your attractive friends of pure European descent (or the rest of my multi-racial class for that matter).

I was never teased for my nose. My nose wasn't weird, it was just unflattering. I had always known one day I would consult with a plastic surgeon about it and most certainly get surgery, but I didn't ever think it would be so soon.

Here's what happened that led me to my rhinoplasty at age 18 the summer after my senior year of high school: I was taking a PE class early my senior year and one of the weeks of the semester, our class was to be playing indoor hockey. I still remember the day very well- what students were on what team, the color jerseys we were wearing (green and yellow), and the part of the gym my team was facing.
So we're all playing, I'm playing defense when one of the guys on the opposing team who I'll call 'T' dribbles up with the puck. I'm directly in front of him so I rush up to smack the thing away and the next thing I know we're colliding (I don't know if he tripped or I tripped, or we both lost our balance at the same time as a result of our colliding hockey sticks) and my face slams into his chest. Now 'T' is almost a foot taller than me, on our school's football team and very solid.
Right away I feel alarmed because my nose is numb and stays that way for the next minute or two. I think my nose immediately started running too, or it felt like it was but I can't remember. I go to the bathroom as soon as I feel it's numb and I see that my nose which may be wide, but was always straight now has a bump in it which is visible from several angles. I don't freak out at first because I think it'll just go back to normal. Weeks later the bump is still there and I broach the subject to my mom that maybe I can see a surgeon to see if the bump can be removed (I figure our insurance might cover it and I mention to her that perhaps while they're in there they could thin my nose a bit). She says it couldn't hurt to have a consultation so I start looking up Bay Area plastic surgeons but I can't really find anyone that does a lot of noses (my thought process is any surgeon who practices rhinoplasty can take away a bump, but who will know how to thin a wide nose).

I look into Dr. Kim in San Francisco and call about a rhinoplasty. They give me a quote of 11,000 or 12,000. My mom says she doesn't think I should be going all the way up to San Fran and to keep looking for a closer doctor. It's my mom who finds Dr. Most on some Best of the Bay list (something like that), but I'm hesitant because I really want to see before and after pictures but there are barely any on his website.

I'm not satisfied with anyone else I look up so I make a consultation to talk with Dr. Most. My dad is old and his eyelids had started to droop over his lashes, so my mom says he should make an appointment with mine to look into getting that skin removed (blepharoplasty). My aunt had the same procedure to great results.

The Consultation

Now this is the beginning of summer and I've graduated. My dad and I drive up to Stanford for our appointments, wait about 10 minutes in the waiting room and fill out some questionnaires that ask us things like 'how many times a day do you look in the mirror?'

Amy, who works for Dr. Most (I don't know what she is exactly. Secretary... the office lackey... Dr. Most's personal slave... I have no idea, but she escorts you from room to room and answers your emails&schedules appointments) comes to get us. We are brought into a sterile looking room and given books of Dr. Most's before and afters to ooh and ahhh over. His work looks great and natural and I realize how much of the population could really use plastic surgery.

Dr. Most comes in, we all introduce ourselves and make friendly small talk for a minute. I talk to him first and tell him about my situation and concerns. I ask questions and am satisfied by the answers. Next we go into a room with a blue backdrop so he can take shots of my nose. He uploads them into a program to show me what my results might be like and he is very modest with the liquify button.
I find out that because my breathing wasn't impaired by the accident, insurance won't cover it.
He talks to my dad next and then we leave. I am disheartened about the insurance.

A week later I'm talking with my mom on the couch and our discussion turns into a heart-to-heart. I've never complained or said much about my nose before, but I admitted to my mom it's been hurtful in the past to be disregarded for not being that pretty.

I remember one instance when I was in elementary school, my sister and I went to one of my mom's office parties. We were being introduced to one of her coworkers and the woman was saying to my sister how pretty she was and totally ignored me.

I don't expect some fake compliment just to make me feel better after my sister gets one, but it does sting a bit being the less favored one.
That wasn't the only occurrence. There have been lots of times growing up where my sister and I would meet people (family members included) and someone would go on to tell my sister how pretty she was and I would just be standing right there. It makes you feel less important, like people don't care about you as much.

On the plus side, at least my growing up average let me develop things like compassion, humour and a personality. (You notice sometimes that girls who grow up looking good can be dumb and entitled because they never had to do anything besides be pretty their whole lives to make friends and win favor).

After our talk, my mom told me she would pay for the procedure, but that I'd have to pay her back at some point. I was game and we set a date.

Pre Op and the Operation

For my pre-op, we went into the office the day before my procedure so they could take my blood pressure and I could talk to the anesthesiologist.

DAY OF THE OPERATION
I was going to be the second procedure that morning. I think I was scheduled for 6 or 7? I was told to bring a button or zip up shirt/jacket and pants that I could easily get on and off as they don't want to be pulling anything over my head and hit my nose or take too much effort to get me dressed.
You also can't wear any makeup or nail polish. So I showed up at the office looking like a very feminine hobo in my black school sweats and pink zip up jacket with no makeup and a messy side braid. There were only a few other people in the waiting room and I didn't really feel nervous thankfully.

Messenger Amy came to retrieve me and both my parents and we were ushered into a little room off to the side of the operating room where I changed into a soft hospital gown (the operating room is in the office- they'll work on you in the hospital if you're older). There I met the really nice, older nurse, Lorna who came in and out to drop these AWFUL tasting drops down my nose (but they help the doctor see down there better or something).

Then Dr. Most came in, casually mentioned they might need to take cartilage from my ear, and exited, with a cloud of med school residents following in his wake. Well, there was only one.

Finally they had me go to the bathroom one last time. My only complaint with the facility is that the bathroom is one of those super awkward ones that's right next to where everyone is hanging out and totally audible from both sides.
A lady likes to keep her urinating somewhat of a mystery. Or maybe I'm old-fashioned.

Then I walked to the procedure room where the anesthesiologist and Lorna awaited, had to take off my gown (What- am I getting breast implants? Why do I only get to keep my panties on?) and lied down on the table which was actually very warm and cosy underneath this bubble wrap blanket thing. I was asked what music I wanted to listen to (they had some instrumental thing playing softly which I was fine with). The anesthesiologist put a needle in my hand (didn't hurt at all), I think they may have put an oxygen mask on me too, then asked me to count down from 10.

I went out quickly.
When I roused from my general anesthesia, they took the needle out and my parents came in. I honest to goodness felt like nothing had happened even though I knew I had a cast on my nose and stitches in my nostrils. I got dressed, and was escorted out the back entrance to the parking lot so I wouldn't have to go back through the waiting room. Surgery was successful.

RECOVERY

I would say recovery is the hardest part. It's not bad, but not fun.

-You can't go out in public unless you don't mind facing stares over your stitched up nose, dried blood, and cast.

-The day of the procedure (or it might have been the second day in), I threw up. It came quickly and I felt totally fine after that, it was sort of a fluke.

-You aren't allowed to bend over or pick anything more than a couple of pounds up.

-Vicodin stops the pain, but it also constipates you.

-You have to sleep propped up in almost a sitting position, which takes getting used to.

-You can't shower the first couple of days and risk getting water in your cast.

-The cast sometimes itches and you WILL NOT be able to scratch it. But you WILL get creative and try to get toothpicks and other random crap down there to itch yourself.

-You need to keep cleaning your nose by putting this gel around the stitches and soaking solution on a Q-tip to put up your nose to dissolve the dried blood.

-3 or 4 days in you will not be able to control the fact that so much blood will have dried in your nose that you will not be able to breathe through it. When that happened to me I cried with frustration. Soon enough, mouth breathing will be normal to you.

-Meet you new best friend: concealer. That is unless you like walking around looking like a victim of domestic violence as one eye will be worse than the other. My bruising wasn't anything major, but it differs from person to person.

-Just a tip, the first couple of days, don't look in the mirror. You'll just freak yourself out. I didn't even know I had stitches in my nostrils until I looked into the mirror.

Some nice things- Dr. Most personally calls your house the day of to ask how you're doing.
After a week of house arrest, I went to my first post-op appointment where I'd be getting my cast off. Dr. Most doesn't do this personally, but his intern does an excellent job at first cutting the stitches which didn't really. hurt It's more the idea that something is sliding through your skin. Then I believe they put some sort of liquid on the cast that softened it and they used this little tool to loosen your skin from the cast which they slowly pull off.

I'm embarrassed by what happened after the cast came off and was given a mirror to look in, but I'm sharing it to prepare anyone who is getting this procedure to let you know you're not alone and this could happen to you too.

When they gave me the mirror to see my new nose I felt a pang of shock. Everyone was looking at my reaction so I tried to act happy about the results but my nose did NOT look good. It had this weird pinched look in the middle that looked sort of elfish (even the top and bottom looked off) and then they were saying not to worry as the swelling would go down. I remember thinking 'Oh my God. It's already so tiny and now everyone will know I've had work done and it doesn't even look right. If it's swollen now it'll only get smaller.' I thought about all the people I would have to face and explain what happened and all the money my parents spent.
I was starting to feel light-headed and nauseous, like I was going to throw up. I don't know what I said to them, it might have been 'I kind of feel like I need to throw up' which I tried to say very calmly and matter-of-factly as because I did NOT want them to know that my new face was in any way related to this physical response. They were saying it looked good and I thought, 'I can't offend these nice people.'
As I said this, the intern pulled out a little square from a package that looked like a folded up wet wipe and swiped it underneath my nose. It smelled like a pine tree and my stomach instantly calmed.
On the drive home I kept looking in the mirror at myself in disbelief at my appearance. I asked my mom what she really thought of it. 'I looks good. .....Why?' I don't remember what I said but she just said there was a chance I might not be happy with the result. I just want to say, I LOVE my mom for always being calm and making me feel taken care of/assured.
I felt so freaked out and was starting to feel depressed that I didn't know what would happen if I was left home alone. I asked to go to work with her and she said yes. So she took me to work and I sat in her office, comforted by my mother's presence.

I think it was the next day that my nose started to look better, and I was feeling better for that matter. By the end of the week, my nose was looking better and better that I remember the little thrill of excitement that would pass as I'd be eating or something, then randomly run to the nearest mirror to look at my new face. Out of the pinching holds of the cast, my new nose was taking a great shape and I felt wonderful.

So let me tell you guys, your nose might look weird at first and you might feel panicked, but give it time to settle in and make sure you have someone supportive with you the day your cast comes off. Dr. Most really does know what he's doing and he will not make you look bad.

Also, your nose might look a little crooked for the first few months, but it's just swelling. My nose is now perfectly straight like before. I don't know if this helped, but I tried to make sure I was alternating sides for sleeping in case my nose was slowly being pushed in one direction during the night. They broke my nose to manipulate the shape, so be tender with it.

new pictures

Social Life After Nose

So the other day I'm looking up this product online, comparing before and afters and thinking to myself that it's kind of annoying when people post a review and only TWO photos to make a measly before and after. 'How lazy' I lament to myself. You really need different angles, lighting, etc to get a comprehensive idea of what you're looking at. Who does that?

Wait, didn't I do the same exact thing that one time when I wrote my rhinoplasty review? Yeah I think I did. Alright. So back I am to aid those wide/bumpy/hump-nosed Bay Areans in search of a good rhinoplasty doctor. I hope my pictures will be helpful to you.

I apologize that I had to partially photoshop my face for anonymity (the blotted out eyes look pretty damn creepy don't they?). I really don't care if anyone knows I've had work done, but as my sibling doesn't know, I was made to promise by my mom that I wouldn't tell anyone else before them. I don't think said sibling would have a good reaction, so it looks like I may be taking this one to the grave. I know I don't want children either, so there won't be any progeny around to suggest mommy's had work done (my significant other will know).

SOCIAL LIFE
I'll be honest, looking prettier really does make you feel more confident and worthy. Yes, it's a shame that attractiveness dominates the far superior qualities of intelligence and kindness, but that's the way the world is right now, and the way people act towards you, especially girls, reflects that mindset that you're only worthy if some loser over the internet looking at your picture wants to bang you or not (see the hypercritical comment section of any celebrity-wearing-a-bikini blog posting).

The great thing about plastic surgery, is that a lot of times, you get something done and everyone thinks you look great all of a sudden but have no idea why. I remember at the first family wedding I went to after my operation, I had been so used to my nose that I forgot that 40+ relatives would be seeing me for the time since. Apart from some standard dressy-occasion comments exchanged about looking good, no one really said much to me. The next day, my mom who was mingling way more than I was said that a bunch of relatives had come up to her and said how beautiful I looked. And I never get those comments. As a kiddo, all compliments were strictly personality centric (whenever my mom relayed a comment back to me from someone, it was either about how mature I am- I hope so! I was quite the little analyzing introvert- or 'I loved her thank you note, what a nice little writer she is').

At my age, I know positive personality comments mean so much more than being told you're pretty. But on an evolutionary level, it's nice to hear. It's like being told
'your comprehensive body mass index, healthy skin, and symmetrical facial features seem to suggest that you'll spawn some healthy babies who will grow up to reproduce exponentially and guarantee your DNAs presence in the world gene pool. Beauty indicates health and health is the key to survival. The point of evolution is to survive- which you did. So congratulations, you have won life. Everyone else can take a seat.'

I don't know if I've just become more outgoing since starting college, but boys seem a lot more interested. Walking around campus, I have actually had guys come up to me, introduce themselves and ask for my number. This doesn't happen every week obviously, but it certainly never happened before.
Let me make this clear so that I don't sound obnoxious and full of it: I'm average now with some better days peppered in every once in a while. No guy's going to approach someone completely unattractive or a really stunning girl just walking about.

My point is that a little tweaking can go a long way. I wanted this for me, and myself alone, but you might find yourself suprised when the opposite sex is striking up conversations with you in class a lot more than you remember or some random guy you're passing on the way to class says 'hi, how are you?'

I want to sum up by saying that if you want this, do it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks but you because it's your money, your body, and your business. Chances are, people are going to see that you look better but won't know why. My nose has practically shrunk a half inch but no one is any the wiser. The first time this girl from church saw me post-op, she told me very enthusiastically that I looked pretty, she loved my hair, and I should wear it like that more often (I let it curl a little more than usual, that's it). But I'm glad you like my new nose.

un otro foto