So unbelievably worth it! - Stanford, CA

This testimonial is going to start out like...

This testimonial is going to start out like everyone else's - I've never liked my nose.

I was never made fun of for it (at least not to my knowledge), but since I was about 15 or 16, it always bothered me. I would look at my profile in the mirror and hold my finger up against the side of my nose, imagining what it would look like without the hump on the bridge. Actually, I still do that, who am I kidding? But anyway, getting my nose done was always something that I thought of doing, but I never really seriously considered it. I could never fathom spending that amount of money on it, especially as a college student.

Fast forward a few years...now I'm 30. I still don't like pictures of myself - 9 out of 10 pictures taken of me look like my nose takes up at least half of the shot. One night, my boyfriend and I were talking about what, if possible, we would change about ourselves physically. I mentioned my insecurities about my nose. Conversation went further, and all of sudden I found myself researching surgeons.

I made appointments with 2 different surgeons in the area, and after I met with one, I knew I found the surgeon that I wanted. He had a great vibe about him, and after speaking with him I felt really at ease with my decision in general to get my nose fixed, let alone to let him do it. He emphasized that if I wanted a very drastic change, he was not the doctor for me - that he would create a very natural looking change that would fix my hump, but not create a nose that was obviously "done" looking. This was exactly what I wanted to hear.

So that consultation appointment was in July of 2012. I have my pre-op appointment in a couple days, where I'm assuming we'll finalize what my nose will (hopefully) look like, and they'll collect all my money. I guess I'll update this posting after that meeting!

So my surgery is in, oh...38 hours or so. Still...

So my surgery is in, oh...38 hours or so. Still not nervous, but I think that will change by tomorrow night. I'm just really excited...I keep telling people, which I should stop doing. I want to see if anyone would actually notice a change! Oh well.

I'm a high school teacher, so I spent all day making my sub plans and copies and what-not for the sub during the days I'll be out. My mom and dad will be taking care of me the first couple of days of my recovery since my boyfriend has to work this week, and I'm kinda looking forward to hanging out with my mom and watching Colin Firth movies and eating soup, haha.

Next time I update this will be after my surgery, whoa....

I'm done! I went in at 7 this morning, and I...

I'm done!

I went in at 7 this morning, and I was so nervous - couldn't sit still, couldn't stop laughing at stuff. The anesthesia part, for me, was the worst. I'm really afraid of needles and all that stuff. They had me lie on this table that was set up with like an air mattress cocoon or something, it was nice and warm, which was good, because I was freezing in that medical robe. They put these things on my legs that contracted and expanded, I guess to keep my circulation going. Then they put the IV through a vein in my hand...SO uncomfortable. Then I was talking with the nurse about stuff, and all of a sudden I was awake and it was all over. Evidently, they gave me a drug that acted like a mind eraser. After they set me up with the anesthesia, I guess they needed to have me lucid enough to walk over (with some help) to the operating table, and the drug made it so I would have no recollection of that. So weird. Anyway, I woke up totally surprised it was already done!

They didn't have to break my nose to work on it, but they did have to take a graft of flesh from behind my ear to smooth out the bridge of my nose - evidently I have thin skin. I have stitches there, and that spot currently hurts worse than my nose does. The pain in general has been minimal, but I'm due for another Vicodin soon. A little bit of blood drips from my nose here and there, and I HATE the feeling of needing to blow my nose, so that's going to take some getting used to, but I can breathe A LITTLE through my nose, so that's nice.

All in all, a pretty easy experience! We'll see how the next couple of days treats me, though. As far as the rating goes, I'll say it was worth it so far....we'll see how I feel when I get my cast off! (Although I'm pretty confident I'm going to like it)

So it's the day after my surgery, and not a whole...

So it's the day after my surgery, and not a whole lot has changed really. My head still hurts more than my nose, which is still not a lot...I barely feel any pain in my nose for that matter, but I've also been keeping up with my hydrocodone pills, so I guess take that for what's it's worth. I've been holding the frozen peas bag over my eyes (and on my head) periodically throughout the day, and I might have the slightest bit of bruising under my eyes, but I also usually have darkish circles under my eyes, so it's still not a big deal.

So it's the day after my surgery, and not a whole...

Day 4 - still haven't really had any swelling! Not...

Day 4 - still haven't really had any swelling! Not sure if it's due to the fact I keep ice packs around at all times so I can periodically ice my face and head, or maybe it's due to the fact my nose wasn't broken...I don't know. But I strongly suggest keeping the ice (frozen peas, actually) on hand constantly, because even if it does little for the swelling, it feels nice.

I haven't taken a pain pill in almost 10 hours, so I'm taking that as a good sign. A Saturday night without a glass of wine though...such a bummer. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm also getting pretty restless. My boyfriend is doing all kinds of chores around the house, and I feel weird not doing anything to help. I might venture out to get coffee tomorrow and run errands...hopefully I don't scare anyone.

Anyway, cleaning out my nose is a weird thing, I never know how far I can go up, and the hydrogen peroxide kinda foams up, that was strange the first time. I just am getting tired of that perpetual snotty feeling I have in my nose. I'm a chronic nose blower, so you can understand my frustration.

Cast comes off and stitches come out on Tuesday! Very excited.

Just got back from an entire afternoon of running...

Just got back from an entire afternoon of running errands. I felt pretty self conscious at first, going out with this cast on, but it was no big deal. Kept having to dab my nose here and there...it keeps running and sometimes it's hard to feel it. How gross would that be, to walk around with stuff dripping from my nose?! Anyway, I think I kept it under control, it was minor anyway. Felt so good to finally get out of the house! And since I haven't taken any pain pills in almost 24 hours, I figured I could have a glass of wine. Life is finally starting to return to normal. :)

The cast came off today! I was almost as nervous...

The cast came off today! I was almost as nervous for that as I was for the actual operation, so weird. I was worried that getting the stitches out would hurt, but that was no problem. They put this anti-adhesive stuff on my cast and left it there for a couple minutes to help loosen it up, and then the doctor took some sort of little stick and gradually pried the cast off. Felt super strange! Didn't hurt, just was a lot of pressure. Then he peeled the tape off. I didn't have any splints, so that was pretty much it! When I looked at myself in the mirror, I could tell that it was still pretty swollen, and thanks to this website and all the testimonials I read from other people, I knew that it my nose would not look exactly the way I want it to, so that helped stay realistic during the "reveal."

Went out to lunch, and luckily I had some of my hair pulled back, because there was still adhesive on my nose and every time the wind blew, some of my hair stuck to my nose. Had to go home and gently clean my nose with rubbing alcohol to get the adhesive off.

I still feel pressure on my nose - sometimes I forget that the cast is off, because in a way, it still feels the same. I can't explain how happy I am with the results, even though it's not yet how it should look in the end. It still looks better than it did!

I updated with pictures from today, and I guess I'll update every couple of months or so. Blogging here was fun! Thanks to everyone else for sharing their stories and I hope that mine helps someone out in the future. :)

So I'm almost had my cast off for a full week, and...

So I'm almost had my cast off for a full week, and my nose has definitely swollen after the removal. Evidently, the cast does a great job in containing any swelling, and I noticed a few days after the cast came off, my nose got bigger! Totally sucks! But I just have to keep telling myself that the swelling is completely normal, and that what I saw right after I got my cast removed is much closer to my final results than what I have now. It's going to be a long road ahead.

Also, I HATE not being able to scrub my face! I like using that St. Ives apricot scrub stuff, and there's no way I can adequately scrub my nose. I feel like a greaseball. :/

Had surgery exactly 7 weeks ago. Updated pics :)

Had surgery exactly 7 weeks ago. Updated pics :)

"Look" not "loo" lol
You loo amazing! Can I ask who your doctor was? You can private msg me if you want. :)
stunning!
Glad to see your nose is making such good progress. Enjoy!
Gorgeous, ideal result!!! Since you are in Stanford, did you go to doctor Most? It is nice to see pics on here if so because I notice the reviews under his listing on here have no photos. So happy for your beautiful and natural outcome!
I did see Dr. Most, I definitely would recommend him to anyone thinking about getting this procedure done. Thanks for the kind words! :)
Hey there! Was wondering if you could elaborate as to why ur doctor didn't break your nose during surgery. Ps. Love ur photos!
You know, I don't really know why he didn't have to break it. During my consultation, he felt around on my nose, and said then that he probably wouldn't have to break it.
I get my cast off tomorrow and am WONDERING how I will scrub my nose! I've been "lightly" scrubbing the rest of my face since it seems like I've been peeling more than normal and am really curious as to what lies beneath my cast! I find out tomorrow! Thanks for giving the heads up on swelling "post" cast removal too...that makes sense...and yes, this will ALL be worth it! :-) Thanks again for your posts!!!
thank you so much for posting this!! I am considering surgery too but I dont want to be rushed or have to choose a surgery date just yet. Im also very nervous about what others will think. But looking at your pictures your nose looks great!!! I can see the difference already and as your swelling goes down its going to be beautiful. By Christmas youre gonna be stoked! Great result, great surgeon, and kudos to you and your courage !
Your nose looks so great! How long was your surgery? I'm thinking about scheduling a consultation with dr. Most.
Thanks! Well, I think I went into anesthesia around 8 in the morning, and I was on my way out the door around 11:30, so it was maybe a two hour surgery, give or take? Not too bad. I definitely would recommend Dr. Most. I just felt so comfortable and confident that I made the right choice.
Wow, your nose looks awesome! :) Looking great
You're right...it's a long road ahead. I recall a ton of oil on my face after the surgery, which is very unusual for me. After a while, my skin looked great because I think (my uneducated guess) that my body was sending collagen to surface to help heal. I've read from some people that it took up to two years to see final results and I can tell you that at one-year post my nose is still changing and shrinking. My tip is still a bit hard and tingly. Talk to your doctor about it if you're worried as some doctors recommend massage or taping. Avoid salty foods and sleeping elevated helps. I'm sure it will get better and better for you.
Ur profile looks wonderful still trying to pick a doctor. I just am still kind of scared that I won't regain feeling in my nose after the procedure. I had wisdom teeth removed and never regained the feeling back in my jaw so that scares me a bit.
Quick question sorry if it's dumb but you get stitches behind your ear for a rhinoplasty?
Well not everyone has to do this, but during my initial consultation, my doctor was feeling around on my nose, and said that I had fairly thin skin there, and he may need to do a fascia graft (I think that's what he called it). Basically, my skin on my nose is thin so that the bridge of my nose would've possibly looked a little bumpy. He took a small piece of flesh from under my skin behind my ear, and used that piece of skin to smooth out the bridge of my nose during my surgery. Right now, it feels a little spongy on my bridge, but eventually that will thin out and my bridge will be all smoothed out. It really wasn't a big deal at all, and if it makes the bridge of my nose smooth in the end, then hey, graft away! So you may not need to do that, I don't think it's a super common thing.
Thanks for explaining that to me. I need to make a consultation with my doctor or the doctor that I am thinking of going too. Still kind of scared though but hearing about other peoples surgeries helps.
No problem. Trust me, I was terrified the day before my surgery. I'm a person that freaks out at the sight of a needle, having surgery - and actually CHOOSING to do it - was a big deal for me. I'm still surprised that I really went through with it. My advice is to seek out the best doctor you can find - find a doctor that specializes in rhinoplasty and/or facial surgery in general. Also, choose a doctor that is really well-reviewed. Seems like an obvious one, but I found a doctor that didn't have any negative reviews at all, and trust me, I combed the internet as thoroughly as I could. Not that the doctor is infallible, but it really made me feel good that I made the best, most educated decision I could. Finally, just make sure that this is a surgery that will make you happy. This was something that I have been thinking about since I was 15 or so, so that's 15 years of consideration - I really knew that I wanted to do this, and it wasn't just a fleeting whim. Anyway, find a doctor (or maybe a couple to talk to) and see how it goes. Trust your instincts. Good luck!
My doctor recommended it be done for me as well. Same explanation. I have 7 staples on the right side of my head :/
Holy cow!!! YOUR profile looks AMAZING!!! Can you imagine what it will look like this summer!!! I'm SOOOO happy for you!!! Thanks for the update! I can't wait to go tomorrow now!!! WOOOHOOO for you!!!
Thanks! I'm pretty stoked. Good luck tomorrow! I can't wait to see your new pics. :)
Your nose is going to look great!! I can't wait to see pictures once the cast is removed. I'm so glad your recovery has been so smooth, mine has too...it's been pretty surprising to me actually how easy it's been. I'm thinking I may venture out of the house today for the first time, hopefully I won't feel too weird with the cast on, but I am going crazy being inside for so long haha!
Thanks, same to you too! When do you get your cast taken off? I have my appointment tomorrow, I'm kinda nervous about getting the stitches removed and all that. You should definitely get out of the house! I went out a couple times yesterday and it felt awesome to be out, and no one really seemed to notice. Not that I expected anyone to point at me and yell "nose job!" but I guess you never know, haha!
Your day 5 pictures look great! Can't wait to see the pics after the cast comes off!! continued good luck healing...