It Changed my Life for the Better! - St. Louis, MO

I was 16 and out of options i started then going...

i was 16 and out of options i started then going to the dr and bugging the crap out of insurance. insurance denied me twice the third time was a charm i found a wonderful dr and to my luck my mom was the surgercal nurse sister best friend.

here is my story~

i was 18 weighed 310 pounds every day was a chore just getting out of bed and going to school and work. i was depressed and almost sucidal but i keep on going. people needed me even tho i was fat and couldnt hardly move around i was digusting and i wasnt like i didnt try every diet or weight loss program out there a gastric bypass was my only chance at life. so i go to the dr and i weigh in every month i slowly gain weight even tho i am keeping a very strict food diary to show what i eat and all my foods was healthy why was i gaining weight? it all came down to a synrome called syndrome x it was scary it keep me from losing weight even tho i ate very healthy. i also had polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos) what in the world i am 18 i thought i have all these major health problems i should not have i got to do some thing. a gastric bypass was my only option. so insurance finally approved after seeing all my problems. i had many more pre diabetic and so much more.

so on dec 29 of 2004 i go ito the er to have my gastric bypass. i have just 6 small scars im so glad that i dont have a huge scar my scars are basically invisble now almost 7 yrs out. the only problem i had was i had a stricture shortly after the gastric bypass and that is where the scar tissue closed the opening to ur intenses al small procedure like getting a balloon ran down u to blow it back up works wonders on that i had to get that done twice. withing a month. not a big deal. i am so thankful i got it done with out it i may not be here today. 7 yrs out i usually eat what i want drink what i want. but i walk consitantly!

the draw backs since u really cant eat. and for emotional eaters u dont get the same effects. i smoke ciggarettes now and occasionally drink hard alcohol. (no beer it will make u sick) and at one point and time i turned to drugs cause i was not able to eat. but i over came all the drugs.i replaced one habbit with others

i get asked if i would ever do it again and i reply with a big yes. there are its draw backs i feel its worth it if there is nothing else that will help u lose weight.

i am 24 now and looking to have a tummy tuck. i am really happy with the out come i havent really gained weight back but i do want yall to know that i go from 140 to 165 that is a huge weight gain but i never get over 165 and i usually dont get that big except in the winter. when i cant really walk outside and im stuck inside!

walking and fluids r the key to a good surgery! even no matter how far out u are!

What insurance were you on?

Hi Kendra,

Thanks for your review. You've done amazingly well to get to where you are today. It's easy to replace one habit with another and it's sound like you've had a tough time but you're getting through it.

Please keep us updated with how you're doing.

Kirsty