Not TOO Painful - Seeing Some Immediate Results! - Saint Augustine, FL

After researching for several months, I finally...

After researching for several months, I finally decided to have the Ultherapy done today (lower face which included most of the neck, and upper lip). After consulting with 3 clinics within driving distance of me, I went to a plastic surgeon's office in St Augustine who specializes in facial rejuvenation. I chose them because the plastic surgeon actually does the procedure and has done it there for almost a year. The other 2 clinics delegated it to either an aesthician or nurse practitioner, with one just getting the device recently--decided I did not want to be someone they trained on. Neither of the other 2 would do a nerve block if needed, I wanted to know it was available just in case. I wanted the most experienced professional possible doing it (a plastic surgeon) since the price was the same.

I was worried after everything I read that the pain would be unbearable. The Dr. said if I could not tolerate it (was pre-medicated with 5 mg Valium and a Vicodin) that he would do a nerve block. That did not end up being necessary and I tolerated the procedure well. There were a few intense moments, but it was not nearly as bad as when I had non-ablative laser done to my eyes a few years ago, nor near as bad as I had anticipated it being. At worse pain was a 5-6 of 10 (at times but not the majority) and much of it a 3. He put cotton in my mouth to keep the tissue away from the bone and that helped.

I have very little swelling (not noticeable to anyone but me) and few welts (easily covered up with makeup-not severe). I took arnica for 10 days before, and bromelian, and stopped all NSAIDS. He used the new Amplify settings which i think made a big difference in toleration. I do have some mild numbness and tingling in the area under my cheek, but not terrible and not distracting.

The pain meds did not really buzz me out too much, (my husband did drive me to be safe) and they were wore off by noon, I was able to drive and go about my day with makeup.

I do see some immediate firming and tightening. The upper lip looks fuller and more upturned. He treated it conservatively as that area was most prone to welting but I had no problem with the lip and didnt even feel that part. prejowls are nearly gone (I had mild laxity, not severe) so i am very excited to see what i look like in the coming months, if today's improvement is an indication I think i will be very very pleased. I plan to do the brow area after I get done paying this off. This clinic takes Care Credit card at 12 months no interest so that made it convenient.

Overall, I definitely think it was worth it and will update as I see more results. I spent months (and hours) researching and obsessing over where to do this at and I hope my review can help others.

Good for you for doing your research before deciding where to go! Its great to hear the cotton helped make the treatment more comfortable. I'm curious what kind of cotton was used, was it like the 2"x 2" squares that dentists use, or was it cotton balls (it seems that would leave a lot of little fibers in your mouth & might not be too pleasant).

Hi, yes--I think the correct term would be dental gauze, thanks for correcting me, They appeared to be the 2x2 strips --not cotton ballls-- and he wadded them up and stuck them between my teeth and cheek to separate the cheek tissue from the bone area.

Day 2

Today is post-procedure Day 2 and the discomfort is probably a one if that. The best way to describe it is the soreness you feel when you have a bruise or bump then touch it. The light welts have subsided. I still have a little swelling- mostly from under my cheekbone to my jawline--but its not noticeable to anyone but me, and no bruising at all.
I definitely think the upper lip is improved about 70% - i had a noticeable "ribbon" look, it was the deep layer - i do not have superficial skin lines-- (i used to smoke, quit 13 yrs ago-i am 48) and this really improved them.. I have no swelling or redness at all on the upper lip, so i know its not being hid from any swelling.

For me this was truly a no downtime procedure, as soon as the narcotic wore off (about 4 hours after i took it) and i could safely drive, i was back out and about and working. I was tired today because i took a Zyrtec last night (he said I could take an antihistamine for the welts/swelling). Tonight I do not feel that i need to take anything.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

One Week After

Today has been one week and I still have some slight tenderness, only when touched and/or applying makeup. At first I did not see any bruising the first day or so post procedure, but on day 3 I noticed some faint yellow bruising (NOT black and blue) on the area above my jawline on both sides. It was easily and totally covered up with makeup. I kept using arnica cream and it is gone now. The slight swelling as subsided and i still feel that my face looks tighter, with prejowls nearly gone, so it was not just the swelling masking them. My husband remarked that it made a noticeable difference (usually he will imply that I waste money on cosmetic procedures) and that it took at least 5 years off.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Dr. Patrick Angelos