I Am Pleased with the Results As is the Doctor--there Will Be a Next Time - St. Augustine, FL

When I hit puberty, it hit back with cystic acne...

When I hit puberty, it hit back with cystic acne and nothing seemed to help. Options were few in 1951. The deep scarring was unsightly. I continued with acne most of my life--I have very oily skin. As an adult I saw a dermatologist off and on and had some chemical skin peeling--the scar pitting was softer, but still noticeable. I tried whole face erbium laser in 2006 and that did help a little. My doctor told me about SmartXide Dot laser and he felt it could help. He explained the treatment and I checked everything he said on Google. October 26, I had it done.

The numbing cream worked very well, there was no pain, I was given detailed instructions for post laser treatment which I followed to a T. On the 4th day I was out to the bank with a wide brim hat, rather red but not scarey so. I told all my friends and they were supportive. The day after the treatment my face was swollen and red as expected. The doctor said I was very typical. I saw him the 3rd day following the treatment, one week and one month. Everything went fine. The only thing I didn't expect was the itching for a few days, but it wasn't bad I was told to stay out of direct sunlight for one more month as the skin was still very delicate. I use recommended sunscreen and a wide brim hat when outside. Currently, I see about 80-90% decrease in the scarring. I will be having a "touch-up" of two areas in April which I am looking forward to. This was money well spent in my opinion. I don't know how effective this treatment is for wrinkles, but the few verticle lines above my upper lip are gone. I still have two very small wrinkles above my brows. My complexion is much brighter, too.

Today was the second time for Smartside Dot Laser...

Today was the second time for Smartside Dot
Laser that I had 6 months ago. The first
time most of my acne scars were improved. I
am hoping this will take care of them altogether. It was the same effective routine
that I had the first time. I'm not as red
today and it's been 4 hours post surgery.
There is some swelling, not as much as before
but the doctor was supposed to use the same
settings as previous. The numbing was not so
effective this time, but quite tolerable. I
had one pain pill and don't think I'll need
another. I'musing the post laser cleanng
routine with vinegar/water followed by the
cream. I'm on antibiolitic, antiviral, anti
fungal. Thank goodness today is very cloudy
and I remember to stay out of the sun completely for a few weeks. Being hyperactive
and an overachiever, I've alrelady made myself
a flow chart so I'm following all the doctor's
directions. The nurse did like my chart and
asked for a copy. Last time I had 3 days
downtime and expect the same.
Michael Johnson

The doctor was very specific on instructions and explained why. He listened carefully to all my questions and answered them. He also explained why I should wait severa months before having the "touch-up" treatment. I saw that as positive because he'd rather do good work than put extra dollars in his pocket.

Updated on 29 Mar 2011:
I interviewed the doctor carefully with questions based on previous experiences. I considered carefully before doing. At my age of 72 and a long history of acne when younger, I'd had several other treatments and had read up about acne and various treatments. The doctor had completed all the special training for this procedure. I do not live in the city where the doctor practices so I couldn't get a local recommendation, but I did check online for reviews.