Breast Cancer and Reconstruction - Spokane, WA

In December 2008, the devastating diagnosis came,...

In December 2008, the devastating diagnosis came, I had breast cancer. After my bilateral mastectomy, chemo, and radiation; my oncologist told me to wait a year before beginning breast reconstruction. My initial thought was "why on earth would I want those back". However, over the course of a year living without breasts came some realities....women's clothes are made for women with breasts, it became increasingly difficult to look at myself in the mirror, and men like breasts. I had no idea at the beginning of my journey the impact of a bilateral mastectomy. And so, at my one year check-up my oncologist encouraged me to at least make a consult appointment with a plastic surgeon. At my consult appointment with Dr. Wheeler I was sold on beginning the reconstruction process. He was extremely informative, kind and encouraging, and very honest that this would be a fairly long and sometimes painful process. It has been one and one half years and I am now done. I have beautiful new breasts by the Tram Flap procedure....quite painful, I have reconstructed nipples....not painful, and have just finished liposuction to add size and fullness...somewhat painful. Dr. Wheeler has been an amazing physician, and kind human being to see me through this part of my journey. I am thankful for him and his staff....I recommend them highly for breast reconstruction procedures.

Spokane Plastic Surgeon

All care from my first to last visit was excellent.