Revised Breast Reconstruction - My Clothes Fit! - Spartanburg, SC

The diagnosis of breast cancer in Nov. 2005 sent...

The diagnosis of breast cancer in Nov. 2005 sent me and my family into a tailspin. I had bi-lateral mastectomies in Dec. 2005 but had no idea it would be a 7 ½ year journey. Thanks to Dr. Michael Orseck I am finally at the end of my reconstruction nightmare. If only he had been in Spartanburg, SC in Dec 2005 when my journey began. I had a breast reduction in 1994 and was happy with the results. How ironic that I would have breast cancer and 6 surgeries to reconstruct them. I was a surgical tech for 5 years and understood what was going to happen to me but had no idea I would have such a long hard road ahead. It was the right decision to have bi-lateral mastectomies but the wrong plastic surgeon. Even though this doctor was involved before I had mastectomies he did not listen to my concerns. He and I disagreed on the size of my expansion. I was carrying cantaloupes on my chest. I reminded him the morning of my implant surgery that I had a breast reduction and did not want large breast again. When the bandages came off I was devastated to see the location of implants. They were well below my elbows.

That was in Oct. 2006 and he said he couldn’t operate again until March 2007 (I think he thought I would go away and I should have). I can’t believe I let him operate on me again! All I can say is after 4 months of chemo and several surgeries I was so stressed and exhausted I just wanted a “normal life” again but that didn’t happen. I was actually in worse shape. I had to wear a bra 24 hrs. a day for support to help relieve pressure on my left side. I talked to several other doctors and only one thought he could help. I had surgery again in Sept. 2009 and once again no improvement. My left implant kept falling further into my abdomen and the indention at the top got larger. I couldn’t find bras or clothes to fit and was so frustrated I decided to have implants removed. Dr. Orseck reconstructed my friend Barbara’s breast after her chemo and radiation and it looked great. I made an appointment with Dr. Orseck and that decision changed my life for the better! Instead of removing implants he could build a sling with Strattice (porcine tissue) to support them. I was skeptical because of my failed surgeries. My husband went with me to the next appointment and Dr. Orseck patiently explained procedure and answered our questions. Emotionally, I didn’t think I could deal with another failure. Dr. Orseck had explained my options and I had a tough decision to make. It was a procedure no other doctor had suggested to me and I took another chance. Now I have breasts where they should be and my clothes fit again! We start on my nipples this week. Thank you Dr. Orseck for taking a chance on me. My previous surgeries made your job much more challenging. The office staff was always patient and understanding. They helped me with questions, appointment conflicts, insurance or anything else I needed. I highly recommend Dr. Orseck. As a matter of fact I already have!

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Orseck and his staff were excellent. What more can I say! Dr. Orseck reconstructed my friend's breast and she recommended him.

Wow, a 71/2 year journey...I am so glad that you didn't give up hope and decided to try this procedure. Hoping all goes great with your nipple surgery. Please let us know how you are doing with that.