Life Changing! - Southfield, MI

My name is Nicole R and I am a 37 year old African...

My name is Nicole R and I am a 37 year old African American female. Throughout my life I struggled with constant weight changes as a result of poor eating habits resulting in a severe loss of muscle tone in my abdomen. In late 2011 I decided to seek professional assistance with weight loss and joined a local medical weight loss program which assisted me in losing 45 lbs. Afterwich, I began having severe yeast infections and pain in my sides and back and therefore began consulting with local surgeons to have the skin removed.

After meeting with a couple of surgeons and being discouraged after being told that I was not the ideal weight to have the procedure, a family member recommended that I consult with Dr Bryan. While meeting with Dr Bryan she advised me of my options and gave me a realistic idea of what to expect after the procedure. She took pictures, and estimated that she could removed about 15 pounds of excess skin from my abdomen. I was advised to give her staff about 6 weeks to get a response from my insurance company.

Within 3 weeks I received a call from Dr Bryan's staff advising that the procedure had been approved and we scheduled a surgery date for January 14, 2013. During the pre-op appointment Dr Bryan and her staff instructed on how to care for the JP Drains and gave me pain medication prescriptions to fill prior to being released from the hospital.

I am currently 8 weeks post-op and I am loving my new body! I never knew that I had curves hiding under all that hanging skin. Dr Bryan removed a total of 18 pounds during the surgery. Like many of the reviews that I read I too have had an infection, most likely due to being a type 2 diabetic, which has slowed down my healing process. I am very happy with my results and most importantly, I could'nt have been blessed with a better Doctor. Dr Bryan treats each patient like a family member. She visited each day that I was in the hospital and is always accessible, patient and reassuring no matter what time I call her. Dr Bryan has even met with me after hours and on the weekends when I had concerns.

Post op and I can't seem to stay offline shopping!...

Post op and I can't seem to stay offline shopping! I don't have to shop at Lane Bryant anymore!!!!! I have a newfound love for Gap and The Limited!!

Hello Ladies, thanks for checking me out. I added...

Hello Ladies, thanks for checking me out. I added a new pic today and I realized today that I am VERY HAPPY!! I noticed that some swelling has subsided because I was able to put on a pair of cotton khakis with no stretch. I mean I actuallly got them past these thighs, buttoned and zipped!! Yay!

New Life

I am so pleased with the results from my surgery!! I have been looking for form fitting dresses to wear to my class reunion as well as my Family Reunion. I still have some swelling in my upper abdomen which I massage daily and I've began using the scar cream to help with the itching and to fade the scar.

I have uploaded a pic of me in my new underwear!! so happy

Update

9 months post-op! in July I had to get a dog ear removed and later a keloid from the same site. I am recovering well, although I still find it hard to sit for long periods of time or move as fast as I used to. My stomach is still hard at the top and I have to remember to massage it, which I sometimes forget. Overall, this was the best thing that I've ever done! I am so happy with my new figure, I am confident, secure and bold.

Almost A Year

This has definitely been a journey and next week will be one year post-op! I am so happy that I've done this, I feel more confident. My Dr also told me that people would treat me better, it's true! Smh at our society.
Lauran Bryan

Relative

So your insurance did pay? Can I ask what insurance you have? I'm actually in Royal Oak and looking for a surgeon!
Hello, you look amazing. Congrats on your weightloss! I wanted to ask if you just had a panniculectomy or a full Tummy Tuck. I am waiting for approval for the panniculectomy and is nervous that I will not be satisfied with the results. You have the best I've seen so far. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for checking out my profile, I had a full tuck.
You look awesome. How are you?
I am well. Still finding it more comfortable to sleep with a binder
Hi, I just had miner do e a few weeks ago, what is the massage for? my dr hasn't mentioned it, how soon after surgery can I do it n is there some special type of massage?
Hello, you'll be instructed by your Dr to massage the upper part of your abdomen after they're satisfied that the incision has closed. The upper part tends to be hard because the muscles are still swollen
Go girl! Looking good. How are u doing now?
Thank you! I am doing well. A lot of the swelling has subsided
Ur welcome. That's great, are u going to post recent pics?
I do understand form fitting clothes. I look everyday to wear something that fits lol. Although the boobs looking even bigger now.
omg i love your results. we have a similar body structure. i have lost 60 pounds and 18 pounds away from my target, but the stomach is horrifying. you look amazing and i hope i can find a doctor in my area that can give me the same results
You look amazing ! I had my procedure done May 29, 2013 and went back to work in 2 and a half weeks. ( cause the Short term disability review nurse said it was cosmetic even though my surgeon wrote it up as medically needed and my insurance company approved it as needed) so I'm fighting them right now so they don't take my pay back from the day of surgery til June 17. Grrrr. Other than that, I think all went well. My surgeon Dr. David Schumacher at Kettering Bariatrics is awesome. I lost 160 lbs from July 20, 2011 through December 2012. Kept it off and went for the skin removal and lipo and muscle tightening. I'm going to be 50 in August but I definitely don't look that old and don't feel that old since I have a new body. Can't wait to get my arms done to get rid of my bat wings. Lol. Anyway, thank you for sharing your story and pics. Like you.. I have become a shopping fiend. Can't wait to get rid of the compression garments though :). Good Luck to all who come after us with this life altering decision. It's gonna be worth it, I promise!!
hey girl!!! Did Dr Bryan give you cream to use for the scar. or did you decide on what to use yourself?? by the way, still looking great.
Hello, I began to experience some itching around my scar line so she precribed the cream instead of the gel strips. It apperars that the gel strips work better, but we'll see
OK YOU LOOK GREAT IM HAVING MY PANNI/BREAST REDUCTION ON JULY 25TH AN OUR BODY FRAME IS SIMILAR ..SO U DIDNT HAVE TO HAVE YOUR BELLY BUTTON REMOVED AN DONE OVER
Thank you! Yes, having a new belly button is part of the procedure. I hate my new belly button, my original one was much smaller...but you give something to get something and I couldn't be happier
You look fabulous! I had surgery a couple of days ago and would love to look as good as you do! XOXO
You look AMAZING!!!!! I had my surgery on May 7, 2013 and I can not wait to see the end result. I lost 97 lbs and I had 3 lbs of extra skin removed off my stomach.
You look great!!!! I am so happy for you...and honey you doing the dam thing in them white pants. I have mine done June 7th. Wish me luck!!!! Keep up the good work!
OMG you look great!!!!! My body is very similar o yours and I'm scheduled May 3rd and I can't wait. I'm scheduled for panniculectomy/abnoplasty lipo hip and waist and a but lift.... The new me is on the way...... You look awesome... Congrats and keep posting... Please provide any pointers!,,,,,,
Thank You!! for comfort you will want to go to your local walmart and puchase a bedrest pillow (with arms) maybe 2 regular pillows and a couple of small square travel pillows. I slept upright for 3 months, at first it was uncomfortable!! you will need pillows to sit on, and take the travel pillows to the hospital to place over your tummy when moving around. I also found that with the drainage tubes the button up house coats were the most comfortable, I found those at Walmart as well
Thanks for your response, I'm going shopping this weekend for my pillows, cocoa butter and all the good stuff. I'll probably be sleeping like you but on my side as I will not be able to lay on my back because of the lift, going to be a little awkward but I'm sure it'll pay off and be well worth it. May 3rd is about a week away and I'm counting down to a more fabulous me!!!!!!!! Ttys, Vera
Rose,are you still using the garment Dr Bryan gave you after sx, if no, what type do you have and where did you get it from? Thanks
I am still using the compression garment. I kept the ones that were given to me in the hosptial even though most of them were the wrong size. However, I have purchased additional ones from Binson's for only $20