Depressed and Disappointed -- Dr. Jung at Shimmian Clinic - South Korea, KR

I had been referred by a friend who had her first...

I had been referred by a friend who had her first surgery there.

Followup/ Aftercare: It has been about 5 weeks after surgery. I am deeply disappointed with the results, the tip is crooked, leaning to the left side and a visible hump on the right side of the bridge (see photo). The tip (ear cartilage) is starting to drop and separating from the Geortex implant. You can't see the height from the photo. I've tried to contact the clinic and their English representative/ Director - Jay Le, which was 2 weeks ago. He picked up twice for the clinic telephone line and said he'd email back in 5 minutes - I have yet to receive any response from him or the clinic.

---
Consultation: I met with Dr. Jung a day before surgery and explained to him my issue with a deviated bridge of the nose from previous rhinoplasty, also in Seoul. He's a patient doctor and it appeared he was attentive to the details I was pointing out - especially with keeping the height of the bridge low. I was adamant to keep the original height because I knew how unnatural it looks with high bridge on a Chinese face. We printed a picture of my face and I drew a red "X" on the bridge to illustrate that I did not want it to be raised in avoidance of doubt.

Surgery: Surgery had gone smoothly and the clinic's nurses are most attentive to your needs. They are kind and extremely patient, and more importantly they go out of their way to ensure you are comfortable and healing correctly. A couple are also fluent in English/ Chinese.

Post Op: After the bandages and stitches were removed, I saw Dr. Jung for about one minute. He looked at the nose, didn't even touch it, and said I looked good. The swelling was at height at the time, and I knew from the previous experience, I would have to wait a month before you can see more clearly the shape. I asked him why he raised the bridge and why he had not brought in the nostrils as I had asked. He replied simply, if I was not satisfied, return in 6 months.

The results are disappointing, the bridge of the nose is high - raised 2-3mm (which I had explicitly stated, to not be raised) and the tip is leaning to the left, not to mention a hump on the right side of the bridge - as you can see from the photo. For me it's devastating, to know that I will have to live with this nose for the next 6 months before a revision... not to mention the flight and hotel costs.

A very serious warning to those from abroad and considering Dr. Jung at Shimmian Clinic: their business model is to position themselves as a high-end, specialist clinic targeting foreign/ international clientele. Therefore they charge 50-100% more than other clinics. Their marketing approach is to have English/ Chinese blogs, reviews and also representatives who speak English/ Chinese. This is why when you're at the clinic, you'll hear patients speaking Chinese/English/Japanese, and not a single Korean local. I genuinely believed that paying the premium for the "best" doctor is worth it. I have yet to see how he will rectify and correct my nose for the next revision.

Dr. Jung, Shimmian Clinic

Dr. Jung has an impressive clinical history of rhinoplasty. I'm still confused to this day, why my nose has turned out this way.

and so i thought i'll be in good hands with dr. jung as he is known for being the best in korea. i plan to go all the way there and spend as much money just to have the perfect nose job, and im having doubts now:( i plan to go by next week. i have a very flat nose bridge with bulbous nosetip
Believe me, I just had it a month ago with Dr. Jung and it looks so weird that people laugh at me. I don't know what happened, maybe he is old now and can't perform like he used too.
You need to remove the bridge and redo with a different doctor. Your bridge looks too high up toward the forehead and it looks too manly. I am looking for revision also.
You are not alone junbug. I also got a botched nose job from dr. Jung at Shimmian clinic South Korea. I am depressed because Jay didn't respond to my email. I expressed concern after remove the splint and he said wait. That is it. I think my tip is slightly not in the center, making my nostrils different size and triangle shape.
I am depressed because the nose looked so bad
In case if Jay doesn't replied u or take long time to reply...I think you better call him....or write email and some complain him..as I also did before.I suddenly called him and he just said sorry blah blah...but it work coz then he immediately replied my email..or sometime not took much time till got his answer.
Thanks.
Hi I had a rhinoplasty using my rib cartilage with Dr.Jung August 2012. 2 weeks post-op my bridge looked grotesquely high but my tip looked great because I had a slightly flat tip prior. My tip definitely deviated to my right and looked a little warped in context to my bridge. I wasn't happy with the overall result and I mentioned this after the stitches were removed but Dr.Jung told me to see how I felt a month post-op. 2 years later, I still feel it's way too high. -_- I met another girl who had her revision rhinoplasty done living next to me at a recovery lodge during that time. She looked great just a week post-op, as well as some other girls. I think he does a general bridge height and tip for all faces which is why people with lower brow ridges like me looked horrible with a high bridge, which I explicitly said I also wanted very natural. Now a year and a half post-op I can say the only thing that will have an obvious change/shrink in height is your tip. My bridge is pretty much the same height as 2 weeks post-op. So I'm planning another trip for this revision which Jay said should be a easy fix. He also said for me to just pay for the trip/stay and the revision will be covered regardless of the fact it's not within one year (although I haven't contacted him for half a year). My tip deviation is not as severe as immediately after surgery but still quite visible. I noticed almost all the girls had that problem who had their surgeries with him and were recovering with me. Maybe his perspective of symmetry is skewed.
I think the problem is, that when you harvest rib cartilage you are supposed to put it in a solution which will reveal in which direction it warps, then you have to work with that to make it symmetrical in the nose. But if the surgeon does not do this then it's all guess work and eventually the rib cartilage is going to warp in the direction that it sees best.
I read another blog that someone sent Dr. Jung an email in English and was quoted $5000 USD, then sent another another email in Korean and was quoted $5,000 won, which is only $4 something in USD! I do not know about Dr. Jung, but Jay certainly tries to rip patients off.
What are your next step? Are you considering to do a revision?
babygirl, any pics to show us? how much did the operation cost u?
U can see from my review :)
Im a patient of dr. Jung too! Very sorry to hear about your results. Its hard for me too. Its almost 7 months and my nose still looks like a recovering post op nose.
woww.. i've been planning to travel to Korea just to have rhinoplasty with Dr. Jung. I heard he's the best in Korea. Is it any better now? I hope u will give us updates as it will be very useful for us planning to have the surgery with the same surgeon. Is it US$5000 surgery cost all inclusive?
Hi bLush44 when r u going to get op with Dr.Jung?i m going to get my last revision with him again in Febuary.
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl480\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs30 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 My last nose reconstruction also done by Dr.Jung it been for 5 months now.luckily my result is good as compared with my before damaged nose.I m planing to go back to get last revision with him in Feb....In my opinion ur nose is still in healing period should wait till 3 months to see the improve and real result....just keep calm down and you will be fine :-).....}
Thank you for sharing on RealSelf!
It's so obvious that there still is allot of swelling in the upper bridge area. He may have raised it only 1mm or 2mm to create better symmetry. I think it looks really good. If I saw you in person I would think you are a really attractive girl. Remember a nose doesn't define you and you don't need a perfect nose to be beautiful. You have eyes, lips, eyebrows, your face and of course the best part, your personality! The fact that he will revise it if your not happy means he is a good doctor. I am sure the raised bridge is swelling, I freaked out after mine because I looked like I had a big dorsal hump for a while, but it's gone down now and my doctor will revise it for free. We should be appreciative for the improvement. Trust me, nobody is going to look at you and think "oh, she doesn't have a perfect nose" they are going to look at you and think "wow, she's gorgoues!". Honest opinion here!
the tip is healing! he would not have made it crooked! relax and sleep with your neck pillow, put no pressure on ur new nose! LOOKS AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL!
I agree your nose is not crooked, it's just the swelling on one side is a little more than the other.