I'm Surprised I'm Not in Pain, and Curious to See Results

I had smart lipo yesterday on my legs from the top...

I had smart lipo yesterday on my legs from the top of my hip to my knees.  Some parts were painful, my doc had to go into some parts that weren't numb at the end to even out, but overall it was pretty much painless.  I'm 23, 5'9" and weigh about 147 lbs, but my doc said I've got "polish legs" which means just big apparently.  I work out all the time, but never can get certain areas to respond and it has been affecting me since I can remember in the confidence arena.  I was told when I was done that I had 4 litres taken out ( I think that's the measurement) it was 3 huge canisters, and he said 3 of it was fat.  Apparently this is the first time they had taken out that much from anyone, so I'm a bit nervous, but the office was very friendly and supportive of my anticipated results.

Oh lordy, is the drainage a mess.  My best friend stayed at my house and I think she almost passed out when she saw blood like substance running down my legs everywhere.  I had to change my feminine pads I put on each incision 4 times in 4 hours.  They were soaked beyond belief.  I put lots of garbage bags and old towles down on my bed but still everything I touched was covered in the blood/lidocane mixture.  I'm told the more you drain the less swelling you will have so I hope this is the case for me.

I'm curious to know why I'm still not in pain though?  I was unable to fall asleep last night for some reason, but there wasn't any pain.  With how "agressive" the doctor said he was, I was expecting more.  I hope to get the before pics from him when I go for my follow up, because I have had traditional lipo previously and it did absolutley nothing.  I actually saw chunks of fat comming out of me though so this had to have done something.  I thought I would be freaked out by the procedure, but I wanted to watch everything, It was quite funny.

Can other people tell me how many litres were taken out of them so I can compare somewhat?  Thank you for any replies, especially on the not sleeping part, I'm a full time college student and I need my rest.

I may need to revise these ratings when I see results, but for now, I feel like I will be happy.

I had my abs done by the doc in your town, Nana. I have a hardness in lower abdomen that is getting bigger and is making me regret I had this done.
I also had my abs done after I had my legs done by the dr. in perrysburg and I have the same hardness, well mine is more of a protruding lump in my lower belly.
Lipolady...is it still lumpy?
I really want to have my abs done. If anyone in the area as had it done, could you tell me if it's worth it? I had a consultation and the Dr.said I was a great candidate. I'm 56(so I have heard it all). Just retired and I want to start my "new life" with no "muffin top" Thanks,
yeah, i'm almost at a week so i probably won't start until it gets shipped.. it's weird because i'm reallly bruised on one of my legs and the other hardly at all. i can see a difference in my legs, i'm just hoping they're still swollen so they get smaller!
hey everyone, I had my abs done 2 weeks ago.I had a bruising on my bikini line and lower abs.I used arnica gel and also arnica pill for 10 days .and it really works!
hey there, so i got my surgery done wednesday of last week and it was a lot better than i expected.. i was walking fine by the 2nd day but of course was in discomfort.. i already see a major difference.. my legs are realllly bruised, so i just ordered some of the arnica cream online, has it been working for you? i want to bruising to go down, i look like i was beat with a bat!
the arnica did seem to work, but I didn't start to use it until the fifth day (wish I had sooner!) The only problem I have now is my legs look so much smaller I have to have my abs done...:(. I was trying to avoid it, but you can see a drastic difference from where he stopped. I still have bruising and I'm on day 15. It will get better each day.
yes, please let me know when you start to see a difference! i'm getting so anxious about the whole procedure.. i'm also a college student and going for my surgery before thanksgiving so i have about a week to heal up.. how long did it take you to resume your normal activities? hope you're doing well!
It's been officially five days since my procedure and I went to see the dr. yesterday. I'm still draining, which the doc said was good, and assured me it would stop very soon. I can tell a massive difference in my legs. Today, for the first time I put on jeans and I looked so darn good in them. I can't say they were falling off of me, but I looked better than i have ever in jeans. I still have massive bruising, the doctor was shocked to see how much. He gave me lots of this Arnica cream and said it would help. I still feel pain/ discomfort, but I don't have to take anything stronger than Tylenol. The showering is the most painful part. Listen to the lady that commented above me, cover your incisions in the shower or you will feel like an ice skater whacked you with a skate when the water gets in them. I should have before/afters in a week or so when my bruising goes away. There is one small spot that is not symmetrical to the other side, so the jury is out on that but it still may come back.
Hoping, I'm in Toledo & I'm assuming we had the same doctor perform our procedures. I had my hips,thighs done in mid-October, and although I'm happy w/the loss of width, there are a few odd bumps (I think fluid accumulations)that did not go away w/the compression garment. I will probably have to have a touch-up. I really wanted to have my abdomen done too, but I'm scared to go through it again.
Hey lipolady, I'm sure we did if he was in Perrysburg. I will have to wait to see my final results, because I'm still bruised quite heavily. I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is swelling, or just unevenness yet. I would love to have my abdomen done but it is going to be another 6000 he said. I'm going to check out a dr. in lower michigan that does it as well and see what he will charge. I think since he is an actual plastic surgeon I would be comfortable although I really liked the bedside manor of my current doc. Do you have pictures I could see? Thanks!
Be careful when showering while you're draining. The 2nd day after my procedure when the water ran down my leg and into one of my incisions, it felt like a knife jabbed me deep inside. It throbbed badly for a few minutes, and then hurt in that section when I walked for the next few days. It was attributed to an exposed nerve from the cut. After that I left my taped gauze on. Other than pinching during the procedure.. and the aftermath of knowing what Nancy Kerrigan felt like after being whacked with that pole... there never was discomfort that wasn't tolerable. I went to Victoria's Secret the day after my procedure.. a Dodger game the next. Just take it slow and you can resume most activities.
Hi Hoping - You're the first person I've read about on this site who sounds like they had the same procedure I had. On 7/1 I had my thighs done, hip to knee, inside, outside, front and back. I'd had large thighs for years and described them as having dense muscle mass surrounded by too much fat with some lumpy areas - attractive huh? The doctor cautioned me several times prior to the procedure that thighs are the most difficult area(s) to recover from, so hold on to your socks! I had 8,000 cc's suctioned, which I believe equates to 8 liters - ugh! Wore my compression garment 23/7 for the first 6 weeks post-op, then another 6 weeks to sleep in. I massaged like crazy every time I thought about it - and still do - (driving in traffic, sitting at my desk, in front of the tv, in the shower), returned to my workout routine 2 weeks post-op walking 4 15/min miles 3-4 times a week, drank gallons of water daily and tried to eat really healthy foods. Also found that apx. 80 grams of protein a day helps to promote cologen growth (found some pretty good tasting egg white protein powders that make that chore an easy one) and was told that using a lotion or cream with a lot of shae butter in it is helpful. I found some at Walmart of all places that seems to be helping - only $5 for an 8 oz bottle. Be prepared for your legs to swell up so much that you swear the skin will split wide open. Brusing and patches of leathery skin may appear. Try to massage the leathery areas a lot as they may lead to scar tissue. If you swell up that may last 2-4 weeks. Closer to week 5-6 you may begin to feel like someone stuck you with dozens of hot needles and they're being wiggled under skin. This, I'm told, is the nerve endings that were damaged by the laser repairing themselves. On the positive side, by week 6 or so I'd lost 20 lbs, my legs no longer looked like those of a linebacker and I was looking pretty darn good in jeans. I'm now 4.5 mos post-op and not ready for shorts yet, still a little lumpy and a little loose skin, but I'm way ahead of where I was in jeans. As far as pain is concerned, I never really experienced what I would consider pain. Discomfort, yes and sometimes in spades, but it didn't last long. Only drained through day 2 post-op so I was lucky there. I'm now having LipoEx treatments done to try to smooth out the remaining lumps, break down the scar tissue that formed (in spite of all my efforts) and hopeflly tighten up the remaining loose skin. My doctor advised early on that it takes some patients up to 8 mos before they see the final results. Didn't mean to write War and Peace, but hope I have provided you with some helpful information. Take care, good luck with your recovery and feel free to ask if you have any questions as you work your way through the next few weeks.
hey! i'm getting my inner/outer thighs done next week.. really nervous! do you feel any different as far as your legs getting smaller? i hope you're feeling better!
When i take the garment off, I feel like my legs look amazing, however; when I try to put any of my pants on, they don't fit. So I guess, I can see the new shape they will hopefully be, but I still have quite a bit of swelling. I had to buy these huge bulky pads to last long enough to sit through one of my classes yesterday, and so I'm hoping that all this drainage the past two days will equate to less swelling sooner. I'll let you know when I start to have a difference as to fitting in my pants, but to answer your question, yes I do "feel" smaller. Feel free to ask any other questions. :)
dont be nervous just had it done at 9 this morning its a breeze!!!
Hi there. They took 300 cc from each arm and total arms/abs I had 3 of those huge canisters full too-which is pretty amazing. I am at day 15 post op. I am excited to hear about your progress because I would love to do my legs!
Today is much more painful than my pain free yesterday. I'm still leaking quite a bit. Which meant I had to have like fifteen overnight pads stuck to my legs, 2 pairs of sweatpants *the one will show through in no time* and go to school. Pretty funny if I might say so. I'm very tired, and I can't wait for the draining to stop so I can see what I look like under all this crap. If I try to take one pad off it immediatly soaks my whole leg and clean up crew is necessary! I'll update.
Hi Hoping, I am 28, 115 pound and 5,2.I got smartlipo on my lower and upper abs yesterday morning(11-18-08)..it was so painfulduring the treatment.but today I feel better ,i couldn't sleep good at night .my back was hurting and everytime any small move was waki ng me up..I am still taking painkiller,hope will sleep good tonight.they took 1100 cc from me.good luck