My Smartlipo Journey

I knew for years I would one day have liposuction...

I knew for years I would one day have liposuction performed on my chest. I am an athletic male that has completed duathlons and half marathons. I unfortunately had stubborn fat around my chest area and flank. I had a bit of a stomach but nothing too embarrassing. I am 29 years old, I love the gym, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke. I was a good candidate for this procedure. Anywho, in all I had the procedure performed on my chest, love handles (flanks), upper and lower abs.

This website was very instrumental in helping me decide what to look for in a doctor and what to expect from the surgery.

I decided to have the procedure done under general anesthesia. The best choice I could have made!!! One minute I was looking up at my anesthetist, the next I was waking up in recovery. There was no awareness of a time lapse at all. I wasn’t nauseous from the anesthesia when I came to either! Since I had an afternoon surgery the first thing I wanted to do after waking was a bite to eat. Considering it had been 17 hours since I last ate. I can tell you the pain totally resembled having a tough workout from the gym. Not to be mean but some people said the pain was worse than a workout at the gym. It leads me to wonder if they know what soreness from a gym workout feels like. The pain and soreness is so far from unbearable. A few good pain meds and you should be good to go.

My surgery took place at 1pm on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008. Wed. morning, 10am, I was able to do a little bit  of Christmas shopping. Be careful not to overdo it because it will cause you more pain and swelling. Some people say they can go back to work the next day. I can honestly say that although I was able to do a little shopping, there is no way I could sit at a desk for several hours. Plan some sick time and take the time off you need to recover!  I kept my bandages on for about 24 hours at which point I went to see my doctor for a follow up visit. It was the first opportunity I had to see the results.

My chest is swollen but noticeably smaller. I was told to expect them to get even smaller, which is exciting.

My lower abdomen is extremely flat even with visible swelling. My flanks are almost eliminated minus swelling.

Scaring consists of very small holes from the canula that I expect to heal without leaving a mark.

All in all, it was worth canceling my trip to Paris to have this procedure done. I will post before pics and day one pics soon. If you are in the Charlotte, NC area, I would totally recommend my doctor. Compassion and a caring environment are the cornerstones of their business! Just an overall great experience!

The worst part about it all is I can’t go to the gym for almost 8 weeks! That is going to kill me. But, again well worth it.

Updated on Jan 1, 2009:
UPDATE UPDATE: Finally uploading pics as promised. Still having a little pain. Not too bad though. Still numb in parts of the treated area. I am also starting to itch a little which indicates the numbness is wearing off. I am definitely glad the new year is here! Happy New Year!

Updated on Jan 6, 2009:

Day 15 Post-Op:
I had Smartlipo on my upper/lower abs, flanks and chest (gynecomastia) 2 weeks ago. Immediately following the surgery I noticed my lower abs were almost completely flat and my love handles were smoothed away. I continue to pay strict attention to my doctor’s orders following the procedure and have worn my compression garment everyday with only a 10-minute break daily. Just not sure how I feel about this procedure if the results aren’t lasting. I posted pics because I thought maybe I was just imagining it. Unfortunately, the pictures only confirmed my fears. Look at dat 2 and day 15 pics. How the hell did that happen? I posted a question in the Q & A forum to see if this is normal. I really hate to think I wasted so much money.

Updated on Jan 6, 2009:

For some reason my pictures did not load during my last update. So I am attempting to reload these pictures. Day 15 pictures should be at the bottom of the page. To add an update you have to have a fifty word minimum. Since I am just reloading pictures this is all just filler.

Updated on Jan 12, 2009:

I had a doctor respond to the Question about the love handles appearing to return. I was told that this was normal swelling. The doctor further added that I won’t get a picture of what the results look like until about the sixth week. He also stated that I had really good results based on my pictures. I have decided to get off this emotional rollercoaster and wait it out. (did it work? Did it not work?)

This is about week THREE now. My doctor said I could not return to the gym or run for several weeks post-op which sucked considering I was in the middle of training for two upcoming half marathons and a full marathon in the Fall (if I am lucky I will get accepted for NYC marathon!!). After reading several post by doctors stating two weeks is about enough time to slowly get back to the gym, I decided I was going to run with my run group this past Saturday. You should have seen the look on my face when I found out we were running 9 miles! Here I am just lounging around for three weeks and then decided I was going to run 9 miles!!! I was excited I was able to complete the run although it wasn’t pretty! The soreness in my legs Sunday morning was a lot worse than the pain I felt post op!!! And yes I will admit I am being a crybaby!! [ :) ]. It is now Monday morning and it doesn’t appear I have had an adverse effect to the run Saturday morning. There has not been an increase in swelling or discomfort in my treated areas.

It appears my general swelling is continuing to diminish including the flanks that flared up last week. In fact, when the flare up occurred, the swelling was symmetrical. This morning I noticed it is now asymmetrical. The right side is a lot smaller than the left which I think is pretty funny. The exciting thing is that I am noticing a reduction in swelling on both sides.

My body has a little stiffness in the treated areas that I notice only when I stretch. (I hope that makes sense) It doesn’t cause discomfort or is even noticeable unless I stretch. I feel like my body is different and I am certain my results are going to be what I hoped for. I just need to be patient and not expect a miracle in two days. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Knowledgeable, confident, and, more importantly, caring. During the whole process, he made me feel like I was the only patient he had. I enjoyed the personal treatment.

who was your Dr?
hi
I'm not sure I could say enough good things. He is a great surgeon, but an even better person. He was very attentive and always available to me through the entire process, which I think is probably pretty rare for a Plastic Surgeon and the staff at The Refine Institute is incredible! You should definitely go with him, you won't be sorry. Let me know how it goes.

hi there,im in charlotte and thinking about smart lipo...still undecided....ive read about dr. g what do u think of him after everything?

I had my procedure done on Wed. I haven't been able to post anything yet because of my arms. The smart lipo doesn't hurt at all. Other than having to wear this awful garmet, you would never know. The breast implants hurt like nobodys business. I think I moved my arms too much on Thurs. My results are great we can already see the skin getting tighter. I will post pics and full details soon.
Hi,Yes i am still slightly numb even though i had the procedure in December 2008
Are you still numb?
I went in on Fri. for my pre opp. I just love the Dr. and staff. I met and talked to several Dr.'s before I made the choice to have my procedure done there. There is something very comfortable about the small staff, that takes the time to listen to your expectations and concerns. He only scedules the number of patients he has time for. Several places leave you with a nurse to answer all the questions then the Dr. just comes in to make an appearance. Dr G was soooo great he talked over the entire procedure, and I left feeling even better about having the work done.
I don't see where you mention what doctor you used in NC. Are you able to disclose that information?
saddle bags are on your legs, silly..flanks are on your upper body.
I'm not sure if the question was intended for me or not about Dr. G. I have not got my total bill yet bc I have not truely decided how much I would like to get done. From all the reserch I've done I believe his price are pretty reasonable. He offers good deals when you have multiple procedures at once. He was a little higher than a few of the other places I looked at, but the price was only one of the things I was looking for. It is not worth $1,000 savings on a $6,000 bill to worry if you are giong to be disfigured for life. The Dr. and staff played a big role in my decision.
Yes, it was intended for you and thanks for the info. Did you read on I think her name was Russo-123 or something like that, that another girl went to him and she as well got blisters and that the doctor is not board certified and does not consider himself an expert in Smart Lipo? I'm so confused if he is good or not.
I was thinking of going to this dr. do you think you paid too much and what is the difference between saddlebags and flanks? Why your upper and lower abdomen?
You may get 2 queations from me. The first time I attempted to post I was not registered. I asked if you knew of any other people that had went to Dr. {edited} for smart lipo or any other procedures? I just went in on Fri. & was very impressed. And how long before you post your next pics.? it is difficult to find local pople with smart lipo pics. that should be close to final results. Editor note: the doctor's name is referenced above to registered users
Hi Ash, Doctor information is located at the top of the review. You must be signed in to view, which requires free registration for an account.
Hi, I also live in the Charlotte area and was wondering who your surgeon is and also would you recommend them? Thank you!
I read in the Q and A section, about that very topic. "Is it normal to gain weight?" It is a quick read so you may want to check it out. Duh love, i just realized you asked that question! NM
I have gained also, I had smart lipo on nov.21,2008.Is this normal?
I was told not to shower for 48 hours post-op. I believe there was also a restriction on hot tubs. I cant recall exactly since i wasnt planning on sitting in a hot tub anytime soon.
When can you shower after the procedure? I guess you shouldn't shower with high pressure for the first 2 weeks?
After my op, i noticed i increased in weight. I imagine it was the swelling.I have continued get lighter on the scale though. The more i read on this site, the more i try to wait the 4 months every doctor is saying to wait before judging results. I admit it gets difficult because its not like i waited 4-6 months to pay the 8 grand out of my pocket :)
I got my abs, love handles, and back done. I weigh more than I have ever in my life. Ever time I go back she THE doctor swears that I am still swollenhad the procedure the 3rd of July 08. It is January 09. Damn I am not happy I use to have a small waist now I have a box shape please don't waste your money. And to top it off I AM STILL GOING TO THE GYM. i HATE WHAT i DID TO MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had smart lipo done on the 2nd of january 2009 - got my flanks/love handles and lower abdomen sucked out. my pre op weight was 90kg and height 6ft1 . after op, no change in weight loss (Its 6th day today). i still see the buldges on the side and stomach though the doctor showed me 500cc of fat out of the tummy (waist pre op was 36). when can one really expect to see a reduction in love handles as for now i feel i wasted GBP 3500.
Hi,i also had he procedure done on the 23 december 08 in london England, how long did have you had the support garment on? i was told atlest two weeks minimum. i see from you comments that you had pretty good results straight away. i seem to be the same, they just said it was swelling. i dont believe them now after seeing your photos. I had problem with anesthetic, it wore off very quickly and i had extreme pain whilst they were sucking out the fat, hence only 600ml taken. how much was taken from you. thanks
I had my procedure this afternoon. Lower abs, his and outer thigh. As a woman I am hoping this is the change I have been looking for. I do work out but those few places of stubborn fat where not moving. So I gave in to smart lipo. I am bandaged right now so maybe at my checkup I will begin to see some results.