Totally Worth It! - Shreveport, LA

I was so embarrassed about the sagging of my labia...

I was so embarrassed about the sagging of my labia that I was depressed about it. Sex made it worse and uncomfortable. Wearing tight jeans was also painful. My boyfriend at the time hated it too. It just kept getting worse and worse. I went to my gynecologist and told him it was painful and hurting me and that it was affecting my sex life. I figured if I explained it that way rather than a physical issue there might be something he could do about it that wouldn't result to me having to pay a crazy amount of money or going to a plastic surgeon. This was about 7 years ago so the procedure wasn't readily available anyway, at least not where I live. The doctor agreed that my labia was bigger than normal and when he pulled on it to stretch it out it was like 3 to 4 inches on the left side and 2 on the right. I will add that when I was in the 6th grade I was playing on the monkey bars and I slipped and fell right between the bars. I had a golfball side lump and a completely bruised vagina. I never told my parents about it bc of embarrassment. When I was in high school a huge bump formed on my left side of my vagina that was fluid filled. On occasion it would burst but it got to the point to where it just stayed and kept getting bigger. I finally told my mother and she took me to my gynecologist. He discovered that in my monkey bar accident the left side of my vagina had completely closed and he had to make an incision and I had to have a catheter holding it open for two weeks. After that was when I started noticing my labia getting bigger. He performed the surgery and I was pit to sleep. I had about 30 stitches per side. I was given pain meds and told to spray it with solarcain. The doctor told me all the nurses cringed and crossed their legs as he was cutting and suturing. The best was that insurance paid for everything bc he put down it was causing problems and that it wasn't for cosmetic reasons. I was 99% happy with it. The 1% is bc I popped a stitch and if you stare at it you can see where I did but I am perfectly happy and so glad I did it. I will say that after 7 years it still looks good, but if you have sex it does rub together and might grow or rather pull on it so it gets bigger, but for me it has not been too bad.

John Carter M.D.

I chose him bc he is my gynecologist.

I'm sorry you had that accident as a kid. Ouch! Glad you were able to get this done and are happy with your results. Thanks so much for sharing on RealSelf.