I Should've Done Smart Lipo Sooner!

Day 10, I'm operating at 90%: Bruising is almost...

Day 10, I'm operating at 90%: Bruising is almost completely gone. I'm still a bit "lumpy" but since my belly is no longer hanging over my jeans, I'm good to go!!! I'm having a love/hate relationship with my "garment" / "corset" ~ when I wear it, I get funky indentations on my belly...like molding silly putty. If I don't wear it, I feel a little puffy. Overall, I'm thrilled that I had it done because my clothes fit so much better & I no longer have to adjust my jeans over my belly fat everytime I sit down!!!

Day 3, feeling great! No longer draining, still a bit lumpy, but my bruising has gotten much better today & I'm moving about very effortlessly! I'm going for Laser Genesis today & will have the good Dr. check my progress! So far, so good! I'm thankful for this website because I was able to go into the procedure sort of knowing what to expect from other people's experiences! I think I had it made because my Dr. is a Licenced & Practicing Anesthesiologist, so there was absolutely no pain during the procedure...the most painful part of my day was getting marked for surgery while standing in front of a mirror while wearing paper underwear:-) LOL!

Somehow, my first post got deleted when I did this update, so I will tell you that I've been reading this website for weeks before my prodedure. I decided to post my photos because I wished more people had shared theirs before I had my prodedure done!

I am 43y/o, 5'3" tall & about 130lbs. I've had 2 children by C-section & NOTHING could compare to that level of pain (of course, they were worth it!)

I had my last baby when I was 40 & I found that my muffin top just wouldn't go back to "normal" ~ so, although I considered a tummy tuck, I decided that because I don't have stretch marks, it was too invasive for the result I was seeking. I am very glad I made the decision to go with Smart Lipo!

Naturally, the first thing I will tell you is to choose your Dr. wisely! This is not a procedure to be done by just anybody & don't make your decision based on price! Sometimes the best isn't the most expensive & visa-versa!

The pictures I have posted are from a few hours before Smart Lipo, day 2 when I took off my corset to change the dressings & day 10. I already see a big difference & I know it will improve over time! (I've read it can take up to 2-3 months before you see the final results) NO MORE MUFFIN TOP!

Updated on Nov 18, 2008:

It's been a month & I'm really starting to see the results!! I'm not wearing the garment at all & the lumpiness is starting to subside. I didn't have all the severe swelling that I've read about & had to laugh when someone wrote that Smart Lipo made them gain 20 lbs ~ it still makes me giggle just writing it! C'mon now, this is the perfect procedure for people who have stubborn areas that don't respond to diet &/or exercise. This is NOT a diet or a reason to go out & celebrate every night at your favorite fast food restaurant! I have only lost about 4lbs but it looks like 10. I can wear a fitted tshirt with jeans without looking like I'm trying to hide a flotation device around my mid section! I'm still wearing a size 27 jean, but they just look a lot better! To say I'm still thrilled with the procedure would be an understatement!!

Somehow, my first post got deleted when I did this update, so I will tell you that I've been reading this website for weeks before my prodedure. I decided to post my photos because I wished more people had shared theirs before I had my prodedure done!

Photo Update

Sam Hassan, M.D.

The Dr. I chose is a licenced & practicing Anesthesiologist who owns an aesthetic salon. Nobody could be better or safer with a needle! (He does my Botox & Radiesse, too! I'm currently seeing his Salon Manager for Laser Genesis & love it!)

Hi, I had Cool Lipo and Vasesr done two days ago. I'm a little concerned at how my stomach looks so far... it looks flat right when the garment comes off but after five minutes (while I shower) it starts to look pretty lumpy with divets in the lower part... did you have lumps the first day or two after? It doesn't look like it from your picture... If so, have they smoothed out? Thanks so much for any advice...
You look fantastic! Thank you for posting!! I am looking to have something done specifically for wrinkling, not for fat reduction (though as a side effect, I would definitely not complain with fat reduction!! :) Do you think this did a good job of tightening your skin? Do you think it's a good procedure if skin tightening is your primary purpose? Thanks so much in advance for your help! Kate
"I no longer have to adjust my jeans over my belly fat everytime I sit down!!!" HAHAHA!!! I feel ya!!
WOW, I just discovered your pics. I am glad you posted them. I had SL on 7/17/08 and I looked exactly like you pre and post SL as well. No more muffin tops! I still would not be able to wear a bikini because I still have some lumps today and some wrinkling. I would love to see more current pics of your progress just so I can compare my results - since we started at the same place. Yes, just like the previous person who was asking - how is your belly button looking today? How is the firmness of your skin?
Hi AV, Did you find that smartlipo improved your wrinkling? I am looking to get something dones specifically for wrinkling on my stomach and I can't tell if Smartlipo or Thermage is a better choice. Thanks so much for your help!
You look amazing! My procedure is scheduled for Jan 23. Am I right in thinking that after one month you felt good. I have a vacation planned on Feb 25 and I am wondering if it's too soon. Comment?
I am due to have my smart lipo feb 2nd. I'd be lying if I said I was not scared. I'm 5'4 111lbs. I'm having my stomach, inner and outer thighs, flanks and arms done. I live in seattle and I'm having it done in kirkland. Reading all the comments make me a bit nervous. I am very active and I worry about the down time, especially since it's snowboard season. Leaking doesn't scare me but swelling and weight gain does. I was under the impression this procedure was for people who were in shape with some stubborn bits to get rid of? I'ts hard to tell without pictures, thanks for sharing yours. you look great. Do you have to take a sedative? or can you just get through it? Maybe bring an ipod or something? These posts are stressing me out!
You look awesome, but I noticed that the skin around the belly button is sagging...will that/ has that tightened up? You're stomach before was at least smooth. That is my greatest fear, since I am looking to do this procedure.
Hi & thanks for commenting! I'm seeing daily improvements & although it may look like it's "sagging" - it's actually the opposite ~ the skin around my belly button is so tight that I'm expecting it to relax into a more "normal" state! My Dr. has offered to do a laser skin treatment if & when I have any unhappiness with the texture of my skin, but for now I'm very pleased & am holding off until everything settles(2-4 months)! Good luck to you ~ for me it's been the BEST procedure & I couldn't be happier! PS: I would NEVER want to go back to the before photo - I was absolutely miserable in my clothes (& out!)!!!
I had consult yesterday am.... 5,000 for upper and lower abs with a 90% improvement. I don't have to do upper abs but to get the complete " satisfaction" she recomended it.... Seems like a lot to stomach! I have been doing the p90x for 2 weeks now. Workout program. Deff give it a shot then see where I am in 90 says!! I am 129 and 5.4" well within my bmi. I bet I will have great improvements with smart lipo, but will deff try to save a little$$$. :). I am so glad your doing great! Take care!!
Hi ~ I believe it depends on the amount of work needed, as opposed to the number of areas. However, consults are free ~ so the Dr. will give you a price. Good luck!
I live in oregon too... where did you go? I am just wanting my abs done... does it depend on your body needs on the price? or was it just a flat rate? thanks. ;)
you look awesome! did you have your flanks done too or just the tummy area? did you go down in sizes if so how much? congrats!
I had the ENTIRE MUFFIN TOP worked on ~ I initially asked for just the lower abdomen but then on the day of the procedure the Dr. recommended he work on my "love handles" too! THANK GOODNESS because it has made a huge difference! I just found out he removed 1300cc. But, because all the work was done on my waist & I wear jeans that ride low, I haven't noticed a difference in the size of my jeans. I'm still in a 27, but they LOOK MUCH better! I will mention that I bought a knit dress recently & a size small is now loose...before, I would've never been able to wear it because it would've been tight in the mid-section even with wearing a girdle/Spanx! Thanks again for the comment!
You look awesome! I agree that once I have my procedure, I will post pictures as I find them so helpful in confirming my decision. I'm scheduled for smartlipo in December for u/l abs and flanks. If I were to gain a couple of pounds after the surgery, where would I gain it? Since the fat cell are lasered out of that area, I assume it would go some where else. Any ideas? Chris
Hi Chris, We had a doctor address a similar question about traditional liposuction here on RealSelf. (Click here) What you said is correct, BUT this doc found that fat cells in untreated areas could get even bigger. (!) Something to think about (not that anybody plans on getting lipo and then gaining a bunch of weight). --Sharon
i so agree with your comments. I'm on day three from post op and i can't believe the difference I had tummy, flanks, inner and outer tights. I can't wait until the swelling goes down to see the true results.
Thanks for posting the photos. You look great!