A full sleeve, a chest piece and a forearm walk into a bar... - Sherman Oaks, CA

Hi all- I have been scouring this site reading...

Hi all-

I have been scouring this site reading all of the reviews/input and it has been extremely helpful, so I decided to post about my first experience. I went to Dr. Tattoff in Sherman Oaks, CA for my first appointment yesterday. I am having 4 tattoos removed in total. A full sleeve (outline only), 2 birds on my chest (the only colored tattoos) and a tattoo on my forearm (the smallest of them all).

I generally have pretty high pain tolerance, but this was no walk in the park. If this is what it feels like with the numbing cream, I'd hate to know what it feels like without. We got through the forearm tattoo, chest piece and 1/4 of the sleeve before stopping (no breaks in between). The nurse advised that she did not want to laser the whole sleeve since I would probably look like the hulk today-the tattoos that we had already lasered were significantly raised and starting to puff up so she started to ice them immediately. For the record, I have always had extremely sensitive skin so I was not too surprised. I am returning in 2 weeks to finish the rest of the sleeve. I iced and kept the arms elevated for the rest of the night. I woke up this morning feeling pretty good. A little tight, but nothing major and have been applying aloe cort cream as advised. It is now extremely itchy.

I got the birds when I turned 18 (I am 29 now) and have regretted them for the past few years now. The forearm tattoo was after a break up and the sleeve was during a low point in my life so I am glad to be starting this new journey. I was quoted 13 sessions for the birds, and 12 for the two others. I know it will be a long (and painful) journey, but I am trying to keep optimistic. I know that the green might possibly not be 100% removed and am just looking forward to it fading as much as possible.

I hope some of this information helps someone else like the other posts have helped me! :)
Dr. Tattoff

I have a blue rose on each shoulder in exactly the same place as your birds and I've been panicking I won't be able to get rid of them but now I've seen you story and your doctor says they will at least fade I have some hope ! Thanks for sharing !!
I can certainly relate... Good luck! I'm going to dr tattoff in Montclair... I'm darker than you and my ink was super dense!! I'm 7 treatments in and it's going but so slowly... I also had some scarring from placement so that is taking longer... Good luck!!
It's crazy how similar your tattoo and mine are! Looking at some pictures and angles, it could almost be my own arm. I see they initially quoted you 10 treatments. How is that looking now? Your tattoo has faded significantly and it looks like I will be in a very similar boat as you. They said multiple times that if they do not remove the tattoo in the quoted amount of treatments they will (supposedly) keep treating it until they can't any longer.
Yea the continue to treat it... I've done 7 treatments and at the last one the nurse told me realistically I'm looking at 15+ because of how dense and deep the ink is.. Yes I thought the same thing! Identical ink! I refuse to finish it... I will treat it until I'm forced to reroute if that ends up being the case...
Wow! You are one strong lady. I fear that I will probably hear the same thing as you down the road. They mentioned my ink being very dense as well and how he may have possibly scarred me in certain areas by going too deep. Well, live and learn! I look forward to reading your posts-they are so comforting and helpful. PS. you and your daughter are adorable :)
How long ago was yours done? I know I scarred in some places where he went too deep, so that delays it too... I'm not that strong just been at it longer... I've made piece with eventually one day having to redesign some portion... We'll see... And thank you! I got super depressed after this getting it done... So I try to be what I know I needed then... :)
The sleeve is the newest addition, I have had it for about 3 years now. How old is yours? Are they still optimistic that they will be able to remove a majority of it with no problems? I am so worried about the process but trying to keep looking up!
Mine was 2 months old when I started removal which is also why it's slowly cominng off... It's dense to start with and was supper fresh! But they do seem confident and I do too! I know some parts will probably remain a ghost or some remnants of ink because of the scarring from when it was done and I'm ok with that. The inner part of my arm is breaking up and think great so I know that will remove great. The other deeper part is getting dull and thinning out so that has longer to go
Hi! Thank you for sharing your story, I have also found my situation of having a large dense sleeve outline (all black) and am terrifies to start. How old is yours? Did they seem pretty confident? Regardless good luck you!!
Outlines are tough! Especially deep dense ones... Mine was only 2 months old when I started and 7 treatments in it's dull and breaking up, but oh still there very much... Good luck!!
Hey Nero, my sleeve is about 3 years old. I was very anxious before starting as well, however after the first treatment, I figure things can only get better from here. They seemed very confident with their ability to remove the black tattoos. In fact, the tech said, and I quote, "it will look like you never had anything there." I am hoping she is correct!
Welcome to the site. You're definitely right; it's a very long and painful journey, but imagine how rewarding it will be once you're done. Just so you know, each treatment will become less painful as you progress. It hurts like hell when there's so much ink reacting but the later stages are a breeze. Make sure your immune system is as strong as possible and definitely keep us posted. Good luck! :-)
Hi Chad, thanks for the words of encouragement! The tech did say that the first 5 times are the worst and the pain should get better after that once the ink starts fading more. I was thinking I may have made a mistake not going with the Picosure laser instead of the Revlite, however after reading your posts I feel better about my decision. As said on here, happy fading!
Glad I helped with your decision. That's awesome! :-)
Welcome to the community, glad you have found some comfort here and decided to give back by sharing your journey with us. What laser are you being treated with?
Thank you Eva. This seems like a great community and I am also glad to have found it :) I believe they are currently treating me with the RevLite laser. I'm not sure of any specific models if there are any, but I will be sure to ask in my next appointment.
:) Thanks!
Congratulations on your decision to do this! Kuddos for doing your homework and choosing a clinic that is realistic about the number of treatments to expect. I was originally told my tattoo would be gone in 3-5 treatments...ha! Don't worry about the green ink just yet. If you find its not fading, you can seek out a Picosure laser...it is especially effective on green. Thanks for sharing and good luck!
Thanks so much! I have read about your journey and your posts and updates are so helpful and encouraging. It is actually funny, I was originally quoted 13 treatments for the birds from one of the RN techs in the consultation. But, when I went into my appointment, the other tech asked how many they quoted me for...15 or 16? With her being the more experienced of the 2, I was a little surprised, so I am not holding my breath right now! Good luck in your journey as well!
Thank you! Hang in there!