Scheduling Consultations - Seattle, WA

I joined RealSelf a couple weeks ago while...

I joined RealSelf a couple weeks ago while researching physicians for rhinoplasty. I've always wanted to change my nose, since high school anyway, it's always looked too big to me. Now in my early 30's I decided this is the time. We are going to be moving in a couple of months so I am going to be taking a month off from work before moving. This seemed like the perfect time to get a rhinoplasty surgery done. I've been concerned about having the surgery and then moving three weeks later. I'm in the process of scheduling and going to consultations for a surgery to be scheduled around the first of May. I had my first consultation two days ago at Dr. Naficy's office in Bellevue, Washington. I met with Julie Legman, the patient care coordinator, and she was very helpful regarding my concerns of surgery and moving. My consultation was scheduled with Julie only however Dr. Naficy had a free moment and came in to meet me and address questions as well. I felt really comfortable there but still feel I should have atleast two more consultations before making a decision. If anybody has a recommendation for rhinoplasty in Seattle area please let me know! I just submitted an online request for a consultation with Dr. Shahram Salemy. Hopefully they will call tomorrow.

I'm not too nervous about the results of the surgery. I'm sure that the physician I pick will do a great job. I'm more concerned about the surgery itself. I've never been put under for any surgeries, partially out of fear I guess. Opted for oral sedation for major oral surgeries when they recommended being put under. Also concerned about the pain during recovery. Who isn't scared of pain though right? I've been following some of your posts of consultations, surgeries, and recovery. I guess it's just time to bite the bullet. Both scared and excited!

Dr. Portuese

P

I was most definitely fine 3 weeks after my surgery-but I guess everyone recovers differently. I went to a wedding a month after with no problems and most of my swelling had gone down Being put under I was scared about too, but another thing you can do is ask about the anesthesiologist's qualifications etc as he is an important part of the surgery and this might put your mind at ease :) I had almost NO pain. I remember a slight (very slight prob due to pain meds) stinging feeling around my nostrils (they had been brought in) on the day of surgery but honestly i was so surprised at how little pain there was- I would class having a headache or something everyday like cutting your finger way more painful. I didnt even take pain meds goodluck! its very exciting!
any updates?
Did you schedule your surgery with Naficy?
Hey there! I haven't logged in for a while. I did not end up going with Naficy. I scheduled with Dr. Porteuse. Porteuse was recommended by our Primary Care Physician. I felt very comfortable there. It was a tough choice between the two. I did have a third consult as well but Naficy and Porteuse were the two I had to choose between.
so did you go and see portuese?
I did see Portuese last week for a consult and two days later scheduled my surgery with him. Had my pre op today and surgery is scheduled for May 2nd. Along with our Primary care physician's recommendation I also felt the most comfortable with Dr. Portuese and his staff.

Thanks so much for starting your story on RealSelf! Back when I got my rhinoplasty it was one week AFTER moving and my house was a mess. LOL. After a week, though, I was ready unpack boxes and felt pretty much back to normal. I hope this happens for you as well. Please keep us posted along the way.

Thank you Angie for the info on moving. Hopefully I can get all of my packing done prior to surgery and just have the little odds and ends items to pack right before moving. fortunately we will have a lot of help so I won't have to do heavy lifting unless I feel comfortable. This seems to be the best time to have surgery because of a few weeks off between jobs. I have another consultation scheduled on March 27th with a Seattle doctor. Hope to schedule the third and final consultation and make a final decision on which doctor to choose by the end of the month.
pleeeeeease keep us updated on naficy ive been scoping him out for a long time. Other surgeons in Seattle? Maybe Portuese? But naficy has lots of experience
Our primary care physician recommended looking at Dr. Portuese also. I'm planning on scheduling a consult with him as well. Hopefully I can get in there next week. Will keep you updated for sure!