Post Mastectomy Breast Reconstruction - Seattle, WA

A breast cancer diagnosis led me to the decision...

A breast cancer diagnosis led me to the decision to have a complete mastectomy of the left breast. I met with Dr. Salemy prior to the mastectomy to discuss reconstruction. This was a valuable and critical step in this process and I highly recommend that you include him in early discussions if you are going to have a mastectomy. I decided to have the left breast reconstructed with a lift & augmentation of the right breast to match. Dr. Salemy and his entire staff are supportive and professional. I always felt that my concerns were viewed as important. My final reconstructive surgery was completed 90 days ago and I am extremely pleased. Recovery was smooth and the outcome is great...I was worried about having breasts that looked fake but mine are very natural in appearance. Dr. Salemy has been a critical part of my recovery thanks to his expertise, realistic approach, and positive attitude! I am thrilled with the outcome and very grateful that I chose Dr. Salemy!

Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Best advice I can contribute is to be sure your breast surgeon and plastic surgeon consult with each other BEFORE the mastectomy. And do not have reconstruction until you have healed from the mastectomy. Risk of infection is extremely high if you have the two surgeries simultaneously. Many surgeons will do this but I do not know why given the statistics!

First and foremost - congratulations on beating breast cancer!! So happy to hear how pleased you are with your reconstruction. What would be your biggest piece of advice for anyone considering reconstruction?