Happy but with Caveats (with video) - Seattle, WA

Several years ago, in my late twenties, I decided...

Several years ago, in my late twenties, I decided to get rhinoplasty. I had a huge nose that didn't fit my face at all. As I was having my consultation, I found out that I also had a very deviated septum. A large bone spur was pushing my nose to the left.

The surgery went fine. Recovery sucked. I was very nauseated the first night, but did not throw up, thank God. I had packing, which was removed after a few days (I compare this to how it might feel if someone pulled worms from your brain). I wasn't able to work for a full week. When all was said and done, I was pretty happy with my results. Loved the hump-free, new nose, though I did have a bump near my tip that hadn't been removed.

Fast forward five years. My nostrils had collapsed inward to the point that I had to wear nose strips to breathe at night. I went to see Dr. Murakami in Seattle, who said that too much cartilage had been removed. He suggested moving cartilage from one ear to the worst nostril, so that's what he did. He also removed the bump on the tip of my nose. That recovery was much better and I'm not sure why. He didn't pack my nose, but overall I felt much less tired and sick. That was a few years ago now.

I'm quite happy with my nose, though it's nowhere near perfect. It still lists to one side and probably always will. It has a great line, though. My right nostril has since collapsed inward a fair amount. Side that was fixed is still good. I'm not planning on seeking out another revision, so this is it. I hated my original nose so much that, even with all I've been through, my rhinoplasty was still very much worth it to me.

You might also want to check out this post I wrote about things I wish I'd known before rhinoplasty.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon

He was professional, friendly, smart, and clearly knew what he was doing. He did not at all try to sell me, but at first ordered me a sinus CAT scan to make sure that wasn't the issue with my breathing. It wasn't and we proceeded with the surgery. I felt like I was in great hands.

Hello Angie, I just have to say what a fantastic blog real self is. I still can not believe the amount of wonderful people with so much love and support for others on this site. This is the safest I have felt discussing my upcoming surgery with anyone. WOW. I told my neighbor about my upcoming surgery and she was not supportive at all. I want to shout out a big thank you to Real Self for starting and having this site!!!!!!! What a help and support system for all of us. Thank you!
I love hearing that you feel "safe" to share here! That is what we are all about and it is awesome that RealSelf has been helpful for you. I wish there had been an RS when I was getting my rhinoplasties.

Sorry your neighbor was not more supportive. Plastic surgery is a touchy topic for some.
Hi Angie, Just listened to your video. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Your nose looks great, but sorry you had to go through with another surgery after. I'm glad you said it's still worth it. I hate my nose so much that even if they mess up, i have a feeling i will still be okay with it, because i will just stop thinking about it.
Yep, that's exactly how I felt. If you go into it expecting improvement, but not necessarily perfection, you'll be a lot happier. :)
Thank you for sharing that video i have a large nose as well and i would loved to get it fixed it has even been broken before so i am very self conscious about my nose. I think your nose looks great by the way.
Loved your video. You look great :-) and I can relate to you in a way, I had to go back in to get previous work done as well, I won't say I'll be 100% satisfied years down the line! but like you! this time I went in with my eyes wide open, doing my hw on my new PS making sure their board certified, checked reviews everywhere, made sure I met them as well. I'm happy for now, and a little nervous. But this time I'll take more care of myself as well.
hi Angie, thank you for sharing , you look gorgeous. thank you for the lovely pictures.my nostrils are collapsed and i was wondering what kind of grafts did the doctor used to support the lest nostril , did he support just the rim or the entire nostril. thank you
He used ear cartilage, but I'm sorry I don't know the exact placement. 12 years later and it's still holding up great!
thank you . glad to hear it's holding up.
Wow! I'm happy that you're happy now and seeked the revision. Is that a common thing to have happen? Thank you for sharing
I don't think it's common, but it can happen, especially in the hands of a doctor who isn't very experienced in rhinoplasty, which I think is what the case was here. I did no research and just dove right in with the first surgeon I consulted.
Hi Angie viewed you lovely video & just wanted to say that as hard as I was looking I couldn't see anything wrong with your nose, face anything... all I could see were those incredibly beautiful eyes and what looked to me like a pretty perfect face :-) Sorry you had to go all through that - but on a positive note, pleased you are still happier for having done it. Now go live an incredible and confident life k x
Aw, thank you so much for your kind words. I haven't regretted my rhinoplasty for a day! :)
I'm really sorry to hear you had those functional issues after your rhinoplasty - how horrible for you!! From an aesthetic point of view your nose looks incredible, really petiet and pretty - suits the rest of your lovely face. Hoping there are no more breathing issues in future :)
I agree with the posts before me, you are a gorgeous woman. I can not tell that the right side has collapsed.... I think it looks good and other people probably have no idea, you can't tell. I think it looks good. BTW, I just moved from Seattle to VA and miss it, am moving back in March!! You look great girl! :)
Thank you! I'm glad you get to move back. After living in Seattle I don't know if I can ever live anywhere else.
Merry Christmas! Xx ( you look beautiful) :)
I have seen you comment on every review and for some reason never thought to actually visit your profile until now. For what it's worth I think your new nose is great but I'm sorry you're having difficulty breathing. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to have your nose collapse, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Do you in any way blame your surgeon for that happening, or is that something that just happens no matter how talented the surgeon is? Also I like what you said in the video about how while you don't think your nose is perfect at least now you can live with it. I'm not completely happy with my new nose but at least now I am not constantly thinking about trying to hide it. Also I just want to thank you for all the kind comments you have left to everyone in this community!
Is there a
The breathing part sucks, but you do look very nice! It looks natural as well. I have been kind of worried about my nose being to wide post surgery with spreader grafts, but I guess it is for the better if it will prevent a future collapse.
Firstly, you are beautiful. There is no way that you'd ever need to do anything more to your nose from an aesthetic standpoint. I wish I had seen this website back in 2004 when I had a nose job in the UK where I was living at the time. I had no idea that this was such a difficult surgery as all the girls who I grew up with got nose jobs routinely as teenagers like buying new jeans. (ie it was veeeeery common). I wanted to refine my tip which was quite bulbous and rasp a small bump. (Structurally I don't think there was anything wrong with my old nose.) My nose was broken and narrowed at the top (not sure why as I preferred it with some width) and is now collapsing on one side. Breath rites don't even work for me. I hope I can find someone through this awesome site nearby to revise this mess in future. In the meantime, I hope that sites like this one will help people understand what a big deal a rhinoplasty really is and to choose a surgeon very wisely. Don't go to someone whose claim to fame is doing lovely breast augs, go to someone who primarily does noses and faces.
WoW I never thought about having future nostril problems!!! Yikes! I am glad you can at least breathe and it looks amazing! I don't think people really notice people's nostrils anyways. By the way I love your hair!!!
I had an unsuccessful rhino pasty in my country from a famous doct and board certified!!.
And after watching your video I am thinking of going to your doctor in Seattle.
but I am  worried of grafted cartilage from reabsorbing or collapsing؛(
you are very brave! and an inspiring person! eke your positivity up! and you are gorgeous inside and out! :)
*keep