Happy but with Caveats (with video) - Seattle, WA

Several years ago, in my late twenties, I decided...

Several years ago, in my late twenties, I decided to get rhinoplasty. I had a huge nose that didn't fit my face at all. As I was having my consultation, I found out that I also had a very deviated septum. A large bone spur was pushing my nose to the left.

The surgery went fine. Recovery sucked. I was very nauseated the first night, but did not throw up, thank God. I had packing, which was removed after a few days (I compare this to how it might feel if someone pulled worms from your brain). I wasn't able to work for a full week. When all was said and done, I was pretty happy with my results. Loved the hump-free, new nose, though I did have a bump near my tip that hadn't been removed.

Fast forward five years. My nostrils had collapsed inward to the point that I had to wear nose strips to breathe at night. I went to see Dr. Murakami in Seattle, who said that too much cartilage had been removed. He suggested moving cartilage from one ear to the worst nostril, so that's what he did. He also removed the bump on the tip of my nose. That recovery was much better and I'm not sure why. He didn't pack my nose, but overall I felt much less tired and sick. That was a few years ago now.

I'm quite happy with my nose, though it's nowhere near perfect. It still lists to one side and probably always will. It has a great line, though. My right nostril has since collapsed inward a fair amount. Side that was fixed is still good. I'm not planning on seeking out another revision, so this is it. I hated my original nose so much that, even with all I've been through, my rhinoplasty was still very much worth it to me.

You might also want to check out this post I wrote about things I wish I'd known before rhinoplasty.

Better front view of my face

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon

He was professional, friendly, smart, and clearly knew what he was doing. He did not at all try to sell me, but at first ordered me a sinus CAT scan to make sure that wasn't the issue with my breathing. It wasn't and we proceeded with the surgery. I felt like I was in great hands.