Massive Blood Loss, Dr Told Me I OD'ed on Pain Meds As if I Wouldn't Find out from the Hospital! - San Deigo, CA

I went to Dr. Sarosy after reading how good his...

I went to Dr. Sarosy after reading how good his reviews were on websites such as this one. I did wonder why he wasn't on yelp, but after reading what I read and hearing that he was top of his class at where he graduated from i was feeling fine. I have epilepsy and complete right sided neuropathy and am on pain management for both those problems and I felt comfortable with him as he asked fir a release from my Neurologist that I was in good enough shape to handle the surgery even though I walk with a cane. Dr Sarosy also knew from the beginning that I was under pain management care and that Sarosy would be expected to take care of my pain needs NOT my pain management Dr. Dr.Sarosy even had the gall to ask what I thought would work for my pain relief and I gave him my Pain Management Dr's phone number and name again and said they should work something out because I'M NOT A DOCTOR!

The day og the surgery I was last on the list which made me slightly apprehensive as my epileptic meds have to be taken on a 12 hour schedule to work right. I went in at 2pm and woke with extreme pain and one nurse leaning close to my ear asking if I wanted to go to the hospital which I thought was unusual. I heard other assistants, nurses and the Dr bragging to my husband that I had almost no blood loss. They repeated it so many times while I was tearing up in pain and extreme nausea. I was put into the extra tight black zippered garment with my drains pinned in place and stuffed into a tshirt and my yoga pants and wheeled down to the car.

We have Italian leather sofas that can recline on some of them and all I did was slip off the couch all night long waking crying when I desperately needed help. This continued all night. I still couldn't sleep that day and had to be forced to take my epilepsy meds and I wasn't taking over what I was given and finally it was time to go for my post op check and I noticed I could barely walk and my 17 year old daughter said that I drained about half bottles but Dr Sarosy's instructions were to call if 3 entire bulbs had to be drained within an hour. I wasn't losing that amount of blood. I couldn't remember the appointment or the ambulance ride other than the Dr telling everyone I had OD'd on my meds. I went on a ventilator for a few hours until my blood work came in. I had a massive seizure due to half my blood volume being gone and that night I had 3 bags of blood given to me and the Dr at the Hospital Grossmont Sharps in Dan Diego in charge of the Neurology wing came to see me and I cried as I said "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to overdose on the meds, I was very careful!" He first asked who told me i had over dosed? then reassured me I never overdosed at all. I had lost so much blood that the little amount of pain meds that was in me was enough to kill me. I never withheld any information from my PS and I thought I was getting the best treatment FOR ME BY A dr who had dealt with complicated medical conditions. He knew all my Drs names and has now become a "treat me then street me" Dr since this happened. He knows that we're military and PCS'ing very soon to the East Coast and will be off his hands and doesn't want what happened known.

I'm almost 4 weeks out and have had NO aftercare instructions given to me other than walk. (Of which I do a lot of), no callbacks and no meds other than the ones I take on a daily basis that keep me about a 6 out of 10 pain scale right now. He should try getting rest at that amount of pain! Its been an agonizing recovery and he even did something that was supposed to be just a tiny lipo on my chin that has me looking like I have jowls where I just wanted the Irish roundness taken away. His "receptionist" is saying its going to take 6 months for these "jowls" to go away??? I sure as heck would have said NO to the procedure if that had been explained to me! The procedure I was referring to and brought in detailed descriptions of said it was about a 3 week recovery time. Again more indiscretions.

Then we find that I get charged for an extended tummy tuck, yet it took him 3 hours and no fat was taken off as i didnt have any so my tummy tuck was $7000 when it was quoted to everyone else as $5000. That's certainly not supporting the military at all. I'm completely disheartened about this. I don't know if I really should ever go back to this Dr and risk further damage or try to find another dr who can treat me during my recovery while im still here with dignity and respect. i at the least want the extra $2000 given back by "cashiers check" (same way they made us pay) and the $1500 for my chin so I can have it fixed by a competent surgeon on the east coast that I can trust. I will say I researched the hell out of Sarosy and it seems he has a habit of arguing rather than explaining and fixing. Its not just me saying this...look at his reviews. Some women seem almost scared to say things even when their photos look terrible! I still haven't gotten an answer as to why my belly button is all black 4 weeks out...I'll add more pics.

Any advise is very much appreciated from Drs or others who have been through this. And NO I'm not the litigious sort. I've never sued anyone for any reason and I have had one child die due to the incompetence of a neonatologist. I'm a soft spoken yet smart girl and do an extreme amount of homework before I commit.

Thank you for reading my story...

Adding a per-op picture

I had forgotten to add a pre-op pic to my review. A normal everyday running around with the kids pic.

Updating...

Still do your homework. I now am required by law to say that Dr Sarosy has done no wrong doing and what's past is past. Form your own educated opinions and good luck to you!!
Dr Charles Sarosy, SD Liposuction and Laser Center

Needs to hire much more office staff and receptionists that are helpful and don't pretend to be nurses. Horrible Doctor!

Awww im so sorry to hear that has horribly happened to you. I hope you can get some of your money back, and find a doctor to help you. Best wishes to you.:)
That all sounds terrible are you ok?
Are you OK?  I'm worried about you.
What a nightmare you are going through. I hope you are on the road to recovery at this point as hard as this has been. Thanks for sharing.
Oh my! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I pray that you heal and are no longer in pain. Thank you and your husband for what you do (military), though "thanks" sounds pathetic and weak it's truly meant from the heart. God Bless you and your family.
Don't let this go, take it as far as you need to even if it is to stop this happening to someone else. I am so sorry you have been through this.
Did anyone else end up with blood infection like me? Maybe there is a possibility for a class action suit? Even if time has passed, we couldn't know they were related to this doctor and found out about others with the same issue. Please advise. He should be shut down in my opinion. I am a walking scar.
I agree.
You guys should go farward with a class action law suit. I thinking about suing my first doctor as well. These doctors get away with this kind stuff cause we let it go.
The worst of the worst is Stuart B. Kincaid.
Report him to better business bureau and board of plastic surgeons in your state. Good luck
Dr. Sarosy is a BAD Dr.  I went to him to deal with Smart Lipo issues and his solution was more SL.  I then had to have an entire area of my tummy cut out b/c he burned me!!! The scar looked like something a 5 yr old would do . . .  Don't believe me? go check out my pics.  I would be happy to provide you with support and healing prayers.
I suffer serious scarring, large skin flap and highly visible uneven fat reduction plus MRSA infection that went into my blood stream and more after my experience with Dr. Sarosy. I was too ill to pursue a lawsuit although I filed one. If I can help let me know. How do I reach you privately? I too am on the East Coast now from San Diego originally.
Also, thanks everyone for their support. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't. I still hurt and still walk short periods before I lose my breath and hurt. Think long and hard. I can deal with pain...I had 4 kids with no epidural and my first was a ER cesarean! This had to have been far out of the range of normal but I wonder if people don't downplay how bad the pain is in some of the reviews? I don't want to scare anyone away, but I do want them to know and be prepared for what they're in for cause I'd rate the pain on par to a kidney stone that lasts for weeks! Peace and healing thoughts to all of you and stay away from my ex PS!
Update on me 8 weeks later. I had to be admitted again at 5 weeks for a massive infected sermons and a different surgeon drained .55cc of puss before normal looking blood ran out and another drain was placed back in. Sarosy had the gall to say he was my Dr after I had formerly fired him two days before for still refusing to seer and my fevers were going higher and higher. I spent a little over a week in the hospital on 4 IV antibiotics and because we were supposed to pcs at the time , my husband had to take over the packing and leave me by myself. Sarosy barged into my room saying I didn't follow HIS instructions and tried to yank up my gown (without permission) and yank down the covers! So totally against the law! A hospital rep asked if I'd like to press assault charges on him and I said to please make sure he was never let near me again because I would if it happened again. This same Dr was yelling obscenities about me while being led away. There will be no arbitration, his medical receptionists refuse to answer the phone when they hear its my name and the phone gets slammed down. So the paralegal I'm mainly working with is attempting to get all my records dealing with this and they're attempting to block access to the ones in his office all of which pertain to my surgery! I'm on the East Coast now so the lawyers here are chomping on the bit to get the case against him. He may have intimidated a lot of people in CA but not here. I'll keep updating as the case progresses. I in the mean time still can't walk straightened out, am severely anemic and possibly due to all the blood products, my liver function tests and enzymes are very abnormal and I was told just yesterday to rest as much as possible. I don't smoke or drink or do any kind of drug but medically for epilepsy and neuropathy. I've never had an abnormal liver test before in my life and I'm frankly terrified as is my husband... : (
Sorry to hear that!
Sorry *east coast*
I'm so sorry to read this, what an awful fright you've all had, and to begin covering his ass even before you left the surgical environment and then LYING by saying it was your fault and you'd OD, course you had, you only had half your blood! I hope and pray you get the money back which you are quite clearly owed, plus the money for the chin fiasco. I'm very sorry to hear about your child too, I wish you all the best with your new life on the west coast. Health and healing too.
Aquatdkk, thank you for sharing your story. I am in shock that your PS is being so callous considering how close to death you were. I am thanking God that you pulled through. I don't see a before pic, but I think you have a lovely face. Keep us updated on your progress and more importantly continue to heal and strengthen your body. P.S. I think the black falls off your BB as it heals. I had a laproscopic hyster and there was a black "thing" where they went in through my BB. Once it fell off, my BB looked better than before the surgery
Thank you MSindy for the support. I asked over and over if my belly button was supposed to look that way and never got an answer. We leave here in 2 weeks for San Diego and my hubby asked for an entire month to get us to the next station and settled. He's terrified I'm going to wind up in a ER somewhere along the way. I'm running a fever up to 101.2 and been on now 3 antibiotics and this Dr (or receptionist) just won't listen! I have no energy whee I had tons before. I'm adding a before pic of me where my kids dared me to hold a snake at an exhibition of non poisonous snakes vs poisonous ones. Its an outfit I wear often just my hair is longer and in its natural curl in the postoperative pictures...
Aquatdkk, do you have time to phone your PCP re: your fever before you leave? I can understand your husband's uneasiness. I've read that many of the RS ladies have p.o. fever, but unless there was infection, it only lasted a day or two. Despite what appears to be some swelling, it does appear that the chin lipo worked for you. Please keep us posted and let us know that you are ok from time to time. Happy Healing
I cant believe you would even think of going back to him.. Thats the problem with many doctors, they stop seeing people as people and start seeing them as cars. They sometimes half*** stuff and say "close enough" or overdo things such as your case.. Blaming everyone but themselves of course. Most doctors are not like this.. Sorry you had to find a poor one. Best wishes through your recovery.(I assume you still are?)
Thank you, it'll be a long recovery my hospital dr told me. If I had seen even one bad review on Sarosy, I would have gone with the other plastic surgeon I had met with who was about 10 minutes closer to out home instead. I technically have to go back to him or I void the rebuttal contract I had to sign and any recourse I have to get at least some of my money back for the botched procedures like my chin lipo and the $12,000 in hospital expenses that we dont know if our military healthcare will cover for me yet. Hopefully they will because with needing 3 units of blood and I was told at my size of 5'3" that losing one more pint could have killed me. As it was a truly emergent situation and above and beyond the TT and other procedures that I had, I may get the hospital stay covered. yet I still have no aftercare instructions for even after badgering him everyday for them. I've been told he'd call yet he called my husband at work and never bothered calling me after my husband asked him to. I'm also being followed by my military primary care and I plan on seeing what my rights are in CA under these "rebuttal contracts" that state that instead of suing him (though I've never sued anyone in my life.) I have to try to work things out with a neutral 3rd party first. We're starting by going to Navy Legal to see what we can do...I'm the mean time, I'm using common sense and trying to take as good of care of myself as I can. Thank you for the support.