Sculptra Lumps Caused by Inexperienced Doctor

I had sculptra 18 months ago by a dr. that i...

i had sculptra 18 months ago by a dr. that i worked for at the time - i was the guina pig for his learning the technique. well, he never massaged my face of mentioned to me anything about massage, just told me to put ice packs on my face that night - i was swollen and bruised like crazy. i also developed 2 bumps under my right eye that weren't noticable at first (only to the touch), but now are prominent. it grosses me out to touch them and i am terrified that they will never go away. i don't know what to do!

I have also had a horrible experience with sculptra - I have since read online that it is NOT for the under eye area. My lumps started showing up 5 months after the injections, they are still growing now 7 months later - some are right up under my eyeball (lower) even though the sculptra was injected lower - it pushes on my eyeball & is awful. I also have the severe creases under both eyes, where there were none before & some of the lumps are bumpy "ropes" about 2 inches long - also indentation next to the "ropes", even though the ropes protrude - it is absolutely horrible - do not use this under your eyes - try the shorter lasting collagen builders instead!
A real plastic surgeon who specialized in facial reconstruction wouldn't even know where to start - perhaps my under eye area, the interior of my mouth, my chin, rebuilding the support system under my eye, filling in the 'x' like deep creases which formed in the indentations of my once smooth under eye area, oh the traveling nodules, putting 'fat' how insane does sound, a fat transfer, to fill in the indentations, rebuilding the support structure under my right eye and magically erasing the discoloration. And after that, I would need support to rebuild my trust. I never agreed/consented to subjecting MY FACE, my health, to some big drug company trial study or even knew that there were these kind of people who hold medical licenses who would inject pla into a patient's face as if it were some no risk, whatever. After all, and I quote "It isn't surgery"... I am just too sick to my stomach to even go on. This is really a 'special injectable'.
seriously?? lumps for 6 months to one year?! i thought it would break down by itself in a matter of a few months, according to their website? could this be due to an overproduction of collagen production in situ? i imagine using some light laser treatment that is used for keloids or hyperthropic scars may help the lumpy areas subside? t
it has been over a year since the sculptra injection and i have lumps all over my face and "pools" of gloppy stuff around the chin area - nothing is breaking down - seems to only be intensifying
One year later and the bizarre side effects just keep on getting worse and more painful. I cannot find any reputable plastic surgeons who will remove. I am so desperate to get this stuff out of my face. Not "only" are there visible disfiguring lumps, indentations, and deep eye creases on my once lovely face, but a add to that, a constant irritating sensation, as if the layer under my skin has been invaded by some toxic foreign particles. Actually, that is exactly what is happening. How did this 'one' get run past the FDA? My pray is that scientist will find an agent to dissolve polylactic acid. This is truly one of the most evil for profit scams.
It has been my experience that surgions usualy offer surgical solutions. Just because he/she recommends a surgical solution that will perminantly scar you does not mean that you have to accept it as the only solution. Remember, Sculptura is a form of alpha hydroxy acid. The molecule has been modified to be persistant, not perminent. Thus, the lump will eventually go away wheras the scar will probably stick around your whole life.
both p.s. suggest a lower blephroplasty (sp) to there will not be any scarring - they also warn of indentions once the lumps are removed, thus causing the need for fat transfers to fill in the indentions - we won't know if this will be necessary until after the healing from the bleph. i don't know how long it will take for the lumps to go away, but since i have waited about 6 months with no improvement, i'm not willing to wait any longer - it comes down to knowing that these are VERY visable not to just me, but everyone.
the plla is engineered to be microparticles and their whole mode of action is to stimulate a foreign body response. Sculptra micropartcles may clump for a variety of reasons slowing any degredation time to years. the foreign body response that is how sculptra works is scar tissue so the lump is not going to go away. scars can be soften or flattened somewhat with time and steroid injections but they dont go away. There is currently a study in Europe that is looking at late onset adverse reactions from injectable plla. adverse events are both local as well as systemic and include immune diseaes. You would be better off breathing in asbestos, then having sculptra injected into your face. At least you dont get cancer from that for 20 - 50 years. You pay some one for "not risky like surgery" injections that they recommended and you never even heard of before and you end up disfigured hiding in your house. Not a good product when the result is so hugely variable.
i had it done in the fall of 2007 - the lumps are very hard and prominent - 2 plastic surgeons have adviced me that the only way to get rid of them is to surgically remove them. they are also continuing to appear, over a year later.
Hi, How long have you had the Sculptra for? Could the lumps be explained by the fact that Sculptra requires a few months to disintegrate?
thank you ! since i posted i have been to see a plastic surgeon and his only advice to me is surgery - which will leave a scar under my eye unless i have a blephroplasty(sp?) so they can go in under the skin... another lump has come up under my other eye (not as noticible) and one on the right side of my nose. i had my medical records sent to my new doctor and there is NO consent form and only a one line mention of "sculptra - tolerated well" - i am so scared to have surgery and yet, these things are so prominent that i am very self consious when talking to anyone - they stand out soooo much!
Raptorannie, I'm so sorry you had such a dismal experience -- it seems to have been such a different one than mine. For what it's worth there IS good news for you: I'm told Sculptra responds to Kenalog injections just as does Restylane, etc, and may thusly be "dissolved". Thus your "bumps" may be treated, but do pick your next doctor carefully!
I am freaking out! I had sculptra 5 weeks ago and a week later noticed a small lump under my right eye- you can't really see it but you can feel it. It seems to be getting bigger and I think you can see it in certain lights. Today I noticed a new tiny lump under the other eye. I just wonder if they keep growing and if they ever go away. There doesnt seem to be a site that tell you what to do or how to treat them. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Brownie, I have a few suggestions from MDs, you can email me if you want. I course am not a doctor, was given a few suggestions.