Sculptra Did Not Work, Left with Pain and "Nodular Density" in Front of Ear

I've always had "lines" on my checks,...

I've always had "lines" on my checks, from inner eye area diagonal across cheeks ending right below cheek bones. They deepened with age and always bothered me. I mentioned this to my dermatologist and she stated Sculptra would take those away and the effect would last about 2 years. That this was facial fat loss.

The first session was late in Sept. It was uncomfortable, but it looked great - for 24 hours. The needle kept clogging, and she had to change it a couple of times, in fact it bent.

I was not sure about doing it again, but had invested money in this and was told I would need more than one session to fill in those areas. So I had the 2nd session end of Oct. This again was painful, the massaging was painful, the needle kept clogging again, and I was glad to have it over. I used the ice packs, the massage, etc. No bruising or anything so that was good.

But on Nov 11, I noted a lump in front of my right ear. My primary MD ordered an ultrasound and they said it is an enlarged lymph node. I went back to dermatologist for 3rd scheduled session and told her to cancel the injection as I am concerned that this substance has "travelled" a couple of inches over towards my ear, or is my body fighting it off and now in in the lymph node? She agreed that this needs further investigation and I now have further testing to go through to see what all this is about.  MD states it is not likely it is not impossible.

I have a constant, achy pain over both cheeks where the injections took place and hope my body can reabsorb this substance quickly even if it might take 2 years. I will not do this to myself again and hope the damage is not permanent or serious.

I do not recommend it.  It has not worked, the lines have not filled in, and it has been 12 weeks since the first injection. The dermatologist now wants to use Juvederm to fill in the surface area,  (which would have to be repeated 2 times yearly) as the Sculptra injections were deep. I am so disappointed to spend that much money for nothing and put my health in jeopardy, and will not take these chances again.

It didn't work, it hurt.

It worked but I can feel lumps under the skin around my mouth 2 years later and its wearing off now. Will try something different this time as it was painful and the needles blocked too often
The doctor lied. No improvement. He made a lot of money. Shame on him.
I had 5 vials of sculptra starting last November 2011 and ending April 2012. My face is a mess with pimples at the injection sites around the mouth, the needle blockes so many times on the last session that i almost give up. My face was a complete mess when I left the clinic. The lumps around my mouth are painful and look awful, im a mess and it cost me £2000 to look this bad. Never ever again will I mess with my face. Like everyone says, we wont get any joy from complaining about it because its always our fault when something goes wrong. Im 53 years old with a face full of scabs that wont go away.
Had two treatments, no improvement at all.
To be honest, I wrote a positive review and I do like this product. But I also do have a lump in front of the ear (?parotid nodule), and it too may possibly be sculptra. I have no problem with this if it is not that painful, and it is just a little bit, but I do have to admit that it does cause unnecessary worry. I think it should not be injected too close to the ears (mine was) and maybe in the fleshier parts of the face.
I am shocked, first of all, the needle should not of clogged up, the solution should off been watered down before given to you, secondly, the needle should not of bent which sounds like who ever gave you this product, is obviously not experienced. I suggest you sue this person straight away, get some legal advice. I have had this done too, but 8 weeks on, i have not experienced any discomfort and certainly did not go through what you went through. My face still has cheek lines but i can see a small improvement, although not much. I have read some awful horror stories about sculptra and spoke to my surgeon who assures me that i will not get painful lumps, so far so good
I simply can't "pick myself up and dust myself off" because yee whiz, my the entire support structure in my eye system is now so inflamed I cannot focus most of the time because of this wacko pain. I have become some Law & Order Series "Special Injection Victims Unit", series #5. I wish it were funny. Okay that part is, but aside from some creative thinking from what comes out of pain created by an medical doctor, there is nothing funny about what this drug company has done, nor the medical doctors who injected pain for profit.
I had pain in my left cheek for quite a while after sulptra. It stopped for a bit, but is back. I called the company and they just noted the problem, and had no suggestions or ideas as to what it was or what I could do. My doc says, it had never happened before. I will never have it again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.
I have that same pain and it seems to be common. Did yours ever go away?
Yes, it did go away. Took about a year and I have no residual issues at this time.
And, no doctor should be "trained" in the US to use this stuff for off label purposes. Yet, most of the injections are for cosmetic reasons - ie: off label, and the drug company is denying that they are funding these trainings. Thankfully, a few good doctors have spoken out, let's hope more follow - by caring about their patient's health and lives than their pocket book. At least, due to us who have been maimed, the FDA is now looking over how to fix the problem so that consumers are required to sign a form about what "off-label" means (not tested properly, may be endangering your health, long term effects unknown) before one of these potions is sold to us for the docs large profit. We need to keep on them so we can protect new victims.
To classify being injected several times in your face with Poly lactic acid (the brand name is so much nicer) and than having it classified by the FDA in the same category as a medical device is sort of like calling Hurricane Katrina a bad rain storm! This truly is another version of "Home Alone" goes to Washington.
Saw another MD yesterday regarding this lump in front of my ear. He says that the lymph node is enlarged and did its job trying to prevent "something" from getting into my system.... scary to think this stuff can travel and your body has to fight it off.... just waiting for the cheek pain to go away.
you are one your own. No FDA Panelist is going to pickup the phone to support you. I have tried. Several times. They make statements, and they do not come down off their thrown to get on the phone. The doctor who did this to you, is not going to help you. In fact, he will lie to cover his butt, call up his malpractice 'man' to stop the bleeding $$$'s from his business. It is a game to these guys. The drug co. is going to ask permission to look into your personal medical records for the past two years to 'prove' you are at fault, and send the 'injector' to an all expense paid vacation in France. You are screwed. I am waiting for a call back from the 'good doctors' who voiced 'her opinion' to the FDA, sorry, I am the jerk.
I don't know of any support group; no one knows I did this, I was going to surprise my husband and I am the one that got surprised. I am hoping this clears itself first.
I too had pain in my cheeks for two months after sculptra (2nd round). It has finally stopped hurting after a round of steroids. I have had results, but not enough to make it worth it, and NOT worth the worry. Sorry to hear you had trouble.
Is there a support group for the spouses and sister's who have to listen... Tom, Help, these people can't take it anymore....
i am sorry to say this, But join the Club. you have been lied to by a medical doctor, for $$$'s, your face has been injected with some toxin know as poly lactic acid that your body can't repel... it screams out, but... some big drug company made up a big fat lie and won FDA approval under some scam story about use for "only" for HIV/Aids patients in 2004! You will see many 'thumbs up' for this poison. The problem is, they are the written by the md's who inject for profit.