Best Decision I Ever Made but Ask Yourself if You Want It for Life - Scottsdale, AZ

I had gastric bypass in April of 2009 and I was 30...

I had gastric bypass in April of 2009 and I was 30 yrs. old when I had it done. Obesity ran heavily in my family. I was able to keep my weigh under control until I had my daughter at 25 and had issues with my thyroid. At that time I gained approximately 85 lbs. after having her within the first year. My thyroid was under control but diet and exercise were not helping. My obgyn told me I had PCOS which can cause thyroid issues, weight gain, hormone changes, and eye sight problems. When she told me this it was such a relief as those were all the issues I had been struggling with. She thought gastric Bypass would be a good option for me to manage weight and all of these symptoms. I went into surgery at 267 lbs. and I currently weigh 146. My lowest weight after surgery was 134 but your body will find its happy medium after you stop losing weight. People will tell you that you are looking too thin, and you may agree, don’t worry. Everyone has that empty, fat burning look that makes you appear thinner than you actually are, it goes away and you start to fill out after you aren’t losing anymore and you have a healthier, meat on your bones look.

For anyone who is thinking of getting Gastric Bypass I would tell you this. The process is so informative there is no way you don't know what you are getting yourself into and that you need to take it seriously. With that said, if you cannot commit to taking vitamins everyday then don't do it. You MUST take your vitamins. I gave up soda which was my vice. It was hard. I'd say if I could give you one piece of advice. Don't drink anything but water. If you do you will drink your calories and find that you can gain weight. The protein shakes at Costco are a lifesaver. Cheap, taste good, low calories, fat and carbs and 30 grams of protein. Always have them on hand. The brand is Premier. EAS Myoplex Carb Control is a close comparison. Cottage cheese, tuna and canned chicken is also great. You can't eat things that will get stuck in the beginning like shrimp or that is dry like chicken. Also remember if you stray and drink with your meals, you will allow yourself to eat more and it's a psychological thing. You are hungry but you want to eat the whole damn meal..... DON'T! You aren't hungry. Your taste buds will change; your body craves different things. I was never a sweets person or fruits or veggies and now I can't get enough of them. I recommend never taking your calcium citrate in any other form than liquid. It tastes better for having to take it 3 x a day, its more potent and it will help keep you regular which will be something you will get into after the first 8 months. Take it religiously 3 x a day (liquid) and you will not have constipation issues which almost everyone does. Hi Health has a B complex dropper for sublingual use; it has all the B vitamins in it not just B12. You are supposed to take this 3 x a week, I take it every day to every other day because I find I have a clearer head if I do, my memory is better and I just function better.

The surgery itself was not difficult physically. You are sore but the process is more mentally challenging than anything. You realize in the first month how our society is based around food. Every commercial, driving down the street, socializing.... Almost everything involves food. You get over that hump about a month or two in. You definitely will have “buyer’s remorse " those first few months so write down why you are doing it. I wrote down 1) for Maddie (my daughter) I didn't want her to grow up with an overweight Mom and think that it was healthy or ok. 2) I want to find a spouse, someone to share my life with. I don't want to be with someone overweight and I am realistic enough to know that no one I want to be with wants to either. Writing these things down and why YOU are doing it will really help you when you are rethinking your decision to do this.

Here I am 3 1/2 years out. I just had an extended tummy tuck and my breasts lifted with an implant. I am 6 weeks post op. I do not regret one single thing of this entire process.
I take my vitamins, I drink my water and I try and eat right. Take it seriously and it will give you a new lease on life.

Robin Blackstone

I chose Dr. Blackstone because I had know people who had gone to her and also because Scottsdale Bariatric is awarded a center of excellence. They are the best in the state in my opinion.

Wow your transformation is incredible! You were pretty heavy and still pretty small.
Wow ! You are so pretty! You look like a star
You look wonderful. :)
I am just now starting the process. Your post has been the most encouraging. You look great! I have a friend who did it in April and quite frankly it aged her a lot. Not sure if her smoking is a factor but along with the aging, the excess skin is my biggest fear. I have always had amazing skin tones and have always looked younger than I really am. I don't want it to age me too much. Your progress has showed me that not everyone ages like that. Thanks for sharing your story!
I'm having surgery with dr blackstone on sept 3 rd!! How did ur pre-op diet work out for you?
Hope all went well. By now you should probably be getting the hang of the whole routine.
Yes! I am almost 3months post op and I love it!! I'm still getting used to eating smaller bites and not being hungry ever!! Dr. Blackstone was amazing!
Best review I ever read! I'm having sleeve gastrectomy but I guess a lot of that applies too! You have always been a beautiful girl, but now you're stunning! I imagine there is a queue to be your spouse! Good for you!
Thank you- I appreciate the kind words. Hope all goes well.
I just read your story and looked at your pictures and wanted to say you look awesome! Good job on your massive accomplishment. Have you had any work done on your upper arms? Your arms look super thin and I was curious. I've lost 115 pounds and had my TT and BA/BL five months ago, all that is good but I still have extra skin on my arms.
I haven't had work on my arms. I didn't really need it. I did get my tummy and breasts done though.
Well good morning everyone. I have less than 3 weeks to go for my WLS. I have not got excited or scared yet. I too just want to hurry up and get it over with:). I am just so tired of being over weight. I am just so miserable. No matter what I do to loose the weight :( when I wake up it is still there following me and will not let go of me! I know I will still be work in progress and it will still not be easy but at least I will have the tool to help me. I will be getting the lap band even though that is not what I wanted. My insurance will only cover the lap band or the gastric. I wanted the sleeve but did not qualify for that. I did not really want the Gastric so I am going for the lap band. I heard a lot of people do not loose weight as fast with the lap band but with any surgery I will still have to do the work and not let that bring me down. I will do what I can for myself to do what I have to do to have a better quality of life. I just want to do this for myself. I know I can do it and remain positive. I dread the fills but I think I can handle it:). Everyone that is in the process of get WLS done good luck and we can do it.
I had my surgery Oct 29,2012. I am so glad I came across your story. I am now going through some of the same things you spoke about. My starting weight was 234, I am now 215. The past month has been a lot more difficult and frustrating than I thought it would be but I do not regret my decision to have the surgery at all.
Hang in there. It get's easier, trust me!
Bring about a year out now I bet you're glad you did it, right?!
great info dec 5 2012 is surgery and im scared but excited to start a new life but it is scary (surgery) and what they do to your insides but im ready and i know i will succeed thanks
TWO DAYS...WOW its just about here...I'm scared for sure...But I know this is what I need to do....The storm prep has been keeping me busy..But dang many emotions...I almost just said the heck with it ans ATE but I stopped myself. I'm gnna do this....
You are gonna do GREAT!!!!! Just remember all the stuff I told you LOL and remember H.O.P.E. :)
Anxiety is setting in...Tuesday is the day...I'm filled with many emotions....
Were you able to lower your does of thyroid medication after loosing the weight? Your hair looks great! Did it all come back after your weight stablized?
another day of LIquid diet...almost there..next Tuesday!! All kind of emotions... Dawn
Well.um 9 days til my surgery (Oct 30th).. 6th day on the liquid diet, it is true what they tell you, it gets better..less hunger!! Now I'm more or less anxious I just want to get it over with. I'm so looking forward to the NEW ME..I've been hiding in the shadows of life for too long..I pray for no major complications and to be able to live healthy.I wanna get off these high blood pressure pills.. and live the 2nd half of my life til the fullest. I see all of your before and after pics... OMG you all look wonderful and I'm sure you are feeling even better.
You go girl..... keep up the positive thoughts.... you are going to be so happy after this is done!!! Promise!
Smilin...Thanks Karri....I'm keeping myself busy with cleaning and watching the FOOD NETWORK yes the food network haa really helps for me strange but true...I'm thinking positive for sure...lived in negativity too long.

HI i AM 45 years old and weigh 267 pounds, i AM getting ready to have the bypass surgery. My doctor recommended that i HAVE the surgery back in February so this is not something i just jumped into i thought about it a lot. I HAVE went through the whole process and have a surgery date for Dec. 2nd but instead of being happy for me and encouraging me i AM getting nothing but negativity from my friends and family. I AM just so aggravated at this point my kids all said the same thing " why don't you wait till after Christmas" and my husband just keeps saying are you sure about this. You see i have a auto-immune disease and i HAVE BEEN really sick for 3 years including being bed ridden for eight months. I HAVE fought my way back and besides taking a lot of meds and getting a treatment of gamuglobulin every two weeks i AM back doing everything i did before. I HAVE type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure so that's why my doctor thinks this is a good thing for me. I just don't understand all the negativity from everybody why can't they just be happy for me? I HAVE a new grandbaby, my first one and i want to be able to keep up with him during his terrible two's i think my biggest concern is the excess skin after i loose the weight and the first two weeks after surgery doing the liquids for two weeks.