Dr. Shepherd G. Pryor Botched Eyelid Surgery - Scottsdale, AZ

NIGHTMARE! Dr.Pryor burned my left lower eyelid...

NIGHTMARE! Dr.Pryor burned my left lower eyelid during a quad blepharoplasty using bi-polar forceps with unguarded tip,requiring surgical intervention during the surgery. He excised 1/4" from the lid, there was also a deep tear on the inside he stitched deeply. He didn't inform me of the injury. I complained to his assistant the next day about the extreme pain in my eye even with meds, was told not to come in just take more pain meds(repeatedly told the same when calling daily,due to stabbing pain my eyeball). Went to an Oculoplastic specialist with a severely abraded cornea caused from a chain of suture knots from the "repair" of the burn. ( This was the stitching he left between the eyelid and eyeball "stitched deeply", causing many painful issues). A 2nd surgery was required by an Oculoplastic Specialist to repair the result of Dr. Pryor's "repair," which had the eyelid & lashes rolled inward,& prevented my eye from closing completely. Basically, Dr. Shepherd G. Pryor botched my surgery, attempted to hide the injury, provided minimal aftercare,caused a medical issue with my eye, 2nd surgery required to allow the eye to close completely, permanent scar, & required continuing care. Also, the 2nd surgery required another 1/4" of eyelid to be removed creating an asymmetry that was not there to begin with. HORRIBLE experience! STAY AWAY FROM THIS DOC!!!
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

If I could rate a ZERO OR LESS I would!!!! No concern for the patient's well being exhibited by the staff or Dr. Pryor, after the surgery, even when the patient repeatedly brought to his attention there was a very real and painful issue with the left eye! He full well knew ( according to his records) there was an injury he caused that needed monitoring and additional care, and repeatedly tried to convince me there was nothing different happening with the injured eye. His lack of care for the patient exacerbated the danger for the health of the eye! NIGHTMARE!!!!! NOT WORTH THE RISK!

I can totally feel your pain. I had upper eyelid surgery on Sept 29, 2013. I knew from the beginning the jerk doctor didn't cut both eyes at the same place. Sure enough it healed uneven. I didn't know anything about this stuff and did research. Saw the idiot only once for evaluation. Asked a million questions. He never said one word to me about asymmetry or my eyebrows being uneven. These things were told to me after the fact to give me an excuse for the uneveness now. He released me from care December 6. I have complained very forcefully to medical center's administrator. In the long run they just want you to go away. I went to new dr and he will fix the one messed up eye but have to wait until March. By the way first surgery was covered by medical. Second surgery I have to pay for because medical necessity is taken care of. Discussed with insurance and they couldn't care less they paid dr for nothing. Dont know howc i am going to get through until March without going nuts. Will be suing if at all possible. Good luck!
I'm so sorry to hear that, joanie16.
It truly sounds like a nightmare!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that.

This sent chills down my spine. I'm so sorry you've had such a bad time. I had upper blepharoplasty in AZ last May and I too had a bad result (different doctor). Can you please tell me the name of the Oculoplastic Surgeon you saw. I need to find someone to repair my eyes. Thank you! Here's my e-mail if you'd like to send it privately:***.com

Oh my.  I'm so sorry you've had to experience all of this.  Thank you for sharing your story with us.  I hope you find support in our Community.  Are you done having surgery or do you have more reconstruction to your eyelid planned?

Although your result was worse than mine, I can totally sympathize with how upset you are.. Dr. Neurohr in Dallas did a canthopexy on my eyes, and the result was disastrous. I couldn't work for 3 weeks because one eye was hanging open and the other was pulled down so far. I would never let him try to correct it, so I am waiting during a 6 month period for an oculoplastic surgeon to do the revision. I will have to have skin grafts.The anger hasn't gotten any better.
So sorry! Good luck ! An Oculoplastic is a much better choice ( hindsight 20/20). The Oculoplastic I had do the revision did a great job, it's not as good as before the original surgery but much better condition than Pryor left me with....
That is so awful what that surgeon did to you. These doctors should not be operating on people, or at least telling them truthfully what could go wrong. I, too, had a very bad experience which sounds similar to yours. Did you have it repaired? Hopefully, you will have good results with a repair.
Dear Unsuspecting, I have had to wait 6 months for the repair, while looking horrible and having my eyes burn continually. I am finally having a repair this month. The oculoplastic surgeon will do skin grafts under both eyes. I doubt they will look very good but at this point I don't have a choice. My eyes are both pulled way down and look terrible.
Dear Isabel28, I am so sorry that you are enduring this horrible experience! Wish you all the best in your revision surgery!! Hope you get the best results ever!!!
Hi Isabel28: I am so sorry that you have to go through the same experience as I did. When I had my eyes done, originally I just wanted the lower lids done to remove some bags, but the doctor told me that it would not look right if I didn't do the uppers as well. I feel so stupid trusting him with, of all things my eyes. They turned out very strange looking with the lower lids pulled down, and to boot, he changed to shape of my eyes. I was devastated. So much so, without thinking, I let him try to fix them which I never should have done. I do have the skin graphs under the eyes, and yes, you can see them. I have just lived with it, which is not easy, but now that I am older, it seems to be a bit easier. An Oculoplastic doctor I saw last summer said that he could remove the graphs, but then again, the eyes may be pulled down again, so I decided against it. I have the feeling that, since you are having a specialist do the graphs, that he will have more knowledge and will do a better job than what I had done to my eyes. Let me know how they turn out. Isabel, I will be thinking about you and praying for a good outcome for you.

Oh my gosh I can't believe you have had to deal with all of that.  I'd be scared to take the grafts out too, just because you don't know what you will end up looking like.  Did the doctor have any before and after pictures of other people or is it such a specialized surgery that you go in having no idea?

thanks for the good wishes. I am so afraid to let anyone operate on my eyes again but having them pulled down so far looks terrible and also causes my eyes to burn, water, etc. The oculoplastic surgeon showed me some pictures of skin grafts he has done and they look fairly OK, at least in the pictures.
Hi Isabel: I am so glad that the photos he showed you look OK. I figured since a specialist would be doing the procedure that he would do the best possible job to make them look natural. I am so happy for you that you are in better hands than what I went through. I would never want anyone to have the same experience as I did with my eyes. Will be sending good energy your way.
Jill81: No, the PS did not have any photos. He just explained to me more or less, what to expect, but I really had no idea what the outcome would be. In hindsight, I was so stressed out about my eyes being pulled down and the pain I was experiencing as a result of this that I went ahead with the surgery. Like I said before, you can see them, and they do look unnatural, to say the least. It was a life-altering experience. Having this type of surgery is risky. Sometimes even the so-called experts screw up and then you are stuck with it and if you are lucky you can find a doctor than can make it so that it is liveable. You will never have your own eyes back, so be very careful. Sometimes the little flaws you see aren't so bad after all. I would give anything to have pre-surgery eyes back!

I'm so sorry.  Thank you for being so candid and telling your story here.

Good luck, Isabel28.  Have you talked to any other oculoplastic surgeons or just the one?  You might want to consider talking to a few before deciding on any surgeries.

And sorry that I butted in on your conversation ladies :)

I am so sorry for you, is that spot in your iris from him, or was it always there. Your eye looks beautiful, though.
That spot was always there..
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry this happened to you. The way this Dr. handled this is an absolute outrage!
Inexcusable! That's why I've decided to post, hopefully it will save someone else from having the same experience from this guy!!!
Dear Teri, I am worried that the skin grafts won't look good but I have to do this to avoid corneal damage. This has been a horrible experience and it isn't over yet!! How do you get rid of the anger?