27 Year Old Implants Removed Due to Leakage (60 Y/o) - Sarasota, FL

I am a young looking 60 year old. I had breast...

I am a young looking 60 year old. I had breast implants 27yrs ago. There was apparently a rupture with slow leakage over a period of time. I finally had to have the old implants removed & replaced at the same time I also had a breast lift.

I am very happly with my results & now wish I would have had the surgery a year ago.

One factor of having the surgery was money. I am just glad I still had a balance left on my home equity loan.

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

He is a very skilled surgeon. My implant removal was very difficult & I couldn't ask for any better results. I now have breast I don't have to be ashamed of.

Hello, I am now 68yrs old and still have my silicon implants that are now 45 yrs. old. Yes, they are hard, but still look really good as I am told. But plastic surgeons told me they need to come out. I'm sure I would go down in the history books as having them the longest without removal. My issue is monetary! My sister-in- law is a plastic surgeon but I never wanted to discuss this with her, and I also thought she specialized in facelifts. I was told recently by another surgeon that she specialized in Breast Augmentations. Maybe now I will inform her of my situation.
Oh, and I would definetly put them under the muscle. That's where mine are and I would not have it any other way!
Hello, I have never had mine replaced as yet. I am 68 yrs. old. They are 45 yrs. old. Mine are below the muscle, or under the muscle. I would not have it any other way. Why do they say leave them out for two months? Seems like all sorts of things could move in their place (muscle, tendons, tissue, etc.) Maybe that's what they want to happen, if they want to put them under the muscle. I would definitely ask. My issue is the expense, and also mine still look really good! My surgeon knew what he was doing. (Unfortunately, he's not around anymore. My sister-in-law is a plastic surgeon, and I just found out she specializes in Breast Augmentation. I hadn't mentioned my situation, since I was under the impression her specialty was facelifts. I may now say something.
Thank you again. This evening, I started looking for Drs. in Northern VA. I felt vain for wanting to look better. It did add to my confidence to have some shape. Two of my children had a nose change. Both were also in public view jobs. They were both happy and still are.
I like to have curves and some bumps. So I am grateful for Doctors who are there to help improve our looks. Ok, Also good different view points help.
Thanks notsogood. I'll pm you later. :-)
Just be sure to read some of the experiences with fat transfer. A gal on here sent me some photos of her lips before and after. She ended up with lumps, and a drooping lip. Its been several years (and thousands of dollars later) and she is still trying to get it fixed. The fat goes down some, but what you have after 6 months, is usually permanent. I'd suggest sticking with the face lift and maybe some fillers that are NOT permanent. I so wish I had done that. If you want to know more write me privately. I don't want to get too off topic from the original poster here regarding breast surgery. Be careful okay? Fat transfer is nearly impossible to undo. Trust me on this one.
Thank you for that info! And thanks for the warning on fat transfer. There is a lady who suggested artefill to me (she looks amazing) but I'm too afraid since it's permanent. I think a good old facelift is what I need -- my face is already full enough, just sagging. I imagine I'd end up with a large balloon face full of fat! Sorry you had a bad experience with it. At least it dissolves some doesn't it? I hope so for your sake. I did think of having fat in my lips, which are disappearing!
There is one surgery I do want though, and that is a facelift if I get up the courage since my face is sagging more than my chest lol. I wonder who to go to though? Any recommendations?
Catelove...I had a facelift 10 years ago, but my doc has since retired. I've been happy with it (just don't let anyone talk you into a "fat transfer"...the newest overly-hyped procedure. Read some of the negative reviews at this site. I had a terrible experience with fat transfer about 6 mos ago). If I were to ever do a face lift again, I would consider Dr. Moelleken in Beverly Hills (and Santa Barbara Ca). His credentials are pretty impressive. He answers questions frequently here at realself and seems to have a good reputation. Or I would find a doctor who specializes in just the face...like Dr. Guy Massry or Dr. Hoenig (both in Beverly Hills and Sherman Oaks, CA). I am seeing Dr. Massry now for help with a bad result from a fat transfer. Wish I could be more helpful...but, of course, there are lots of reviews here at realself that you could take a look at. Good luck to you in your quest.
They'd been in 10+ years and I'm in my 50's. I had no replacement and no lift and I am THRILLED. I love having soft, natural breasts again. I'd forgotten what they felt like. Love my own breasts!! Why did it take me so long to realize that nice soft breasts beat big stiff ones any day?? Guess I needed to grow up.....now I won't need replacements in my 70 or 80's or 90's. surgery does get more risky. Also, having big breasts never made me an ounce happier. I never felt like myself. I just bought into the hype! Now I can wear anything and it looks cute, not gross. And guess what? One nice remnant of the implants is it left me with cleavage which I never had before! Good luck.
That's great...you are very lucky. Unfortunately for me by the time I had them taken out and made smaller, I didn't have any of my own tissue left. I originally had them done in my early 20's (I'm 63 now) and they got hard 3 times and had to be replaced. Each time they were replaced, scar tissue had to be removed until ultimately I had little of my own tissue left. For this last removal, my surgeon actually had to add tissue so he had something to work with. He used a very small implant just big enough so the skin wouldn't look loose and the breast look deformed. So perhaps my situation was unique in that respect. The newer materials on current implants are supposed to be better at preventing encapsulation (aka hardening). That and the smaller size should last me for the next 20 years...if I live that long LOL! At least I hope so because this is my last time under the knife, regardless of what happens. I've abused my body enough for one lifetime. Enough already. Like you, I wish I never had it done to begin with. I really like how I look with the much smaller size. Suits my petite body frame and clothes seem to fit better too. So glad I finally had it done.
Happy for you! We do all have different situations, bodies, and tissues. I didn't mean to sound like a simple removal is right for everyone. Just that it could be right for someone else. Also, my breasts do not look "perfect," but I am fine with them as they are. Hugs!!! Isn't being smaller wonderful!? I love it, too.
Not to worry Catelove...I didn't take it that way. That's what this site is all about...to get feedback from several people and their experiences. It helps others to make an informed choice...or even to know the right questions to ask when they venture out to find a doctor. The more information out there, the better. My new breasts aren't "perfect" in appearance either, but definitely better looking than those big ta-tas I had, LOL! And the smaller size simply feels wonderful. I can totally relate to how you feel about that. "Less" is definitely better!
Just like you I have had breast augmentation done over and over. The first time was when I was 25, and I am now 61. I started out with almost no breast tissue, and after numerous surgeries I don't believe there is any breast tissue left or so I have been told by plastic surgeons. I would like to get my hard, unnatural silicone implants removed, but I am afraid of looking deformed afterwards. I don't want replacements knowing that years from now I might encounter problems. My implants are above the muscle, and I am a 36D. I realize the skin has stretched to accommodate the implants but did you ever consider having a breast lift to remove the sagging skin? Since you obviously did a lot of research, I am curious to get your feedback.
Hi notsopleased...I suggest going to a good "reconstructive" surgeon for a consult. Not someone who just does new implants. I had no breast tissue left, so they added skin during the reduction process, something a reconstructive surgeon is used to working with. They will tuck any of your excess skin at the same time. They may have to move your nipple (I know sounds gross) if you need quite a bit of reduction. That usually requires a second surgery. I thought mine looked okay, not perfect, but I didn't want to go thru the second surgery. But I really felf I looked pretty good afterwards...better than I expected. And I felt so much better getting the extra weight off and look a lot slimmer too. Definitely worth pursuing. They don't recommend taking the implants out without replacing it with something...but it can be a lot smaller.
How do you go about finding a good reconstructive surgeon, and it sounds very expensive. I shudder to think how much all of this has already cost, and sometimes I think I might be better off not doing anything. Just like you I am tired of walking around with two hard oranges stuck to my chest. What was your recovery period? Thanks for keeping me informed.
Hi Jasmine. I might suggest looking for a "reconstructive" cosmetic surgeon who specializes in breast implant removal (or a doc that has done a lot of them). It is a more complex procedure than simply putting them in on someone for the first time. Scar tissue from previous implants is something that has to be addressed and requires some expertise and experience with the procedure. My removal required almost 6 hours on the table. I still have implants, they are just much smaller. After having them in for so long (over 20 years), I was advised that the gap from removal had to be filled with something. Originally my surgeon estimated 4 hours, but after he got in there it was a bit more extensive to repair than he had initially thought. However, the good news is that I had very little post op pain given the amount of work he did in there. So don't let that scare you off. And my recovery time was much shorter than my previous surgery. I'm guessing the amount of work that needs to be done will vary from patient to patient depending on scar tissue. But that was my experience, and I am happy that I went ahead with the surgery. It would be a good idea to interview several surgeons before you make your decision. Good luck to you.
I had mine removed under local anesthesia and drove myself home. You can do it. I didn't want to risk general anesthesia for a 20 minute surgery. It was no harder than having a root canal. Best wishes.
catelove...well that's pretty amazing. How long were your implants in prior to removal?
Hi Notsogood. Mine are 27 years old, with no issues 'till last May, when I noticed a change. Looks like encapsulation and possible leakeage, after all this time. May I ask why your removal took 6 hours? And did your surgeon expect this and was prepared for such a lengthy surgery? Also, do all removals end up with drainage tubes?
Not all procedures take that long. My old implants were really difficult to remove & in bad shape. My MD was prepared for the lengthly surgery. Very few removals need drainage tubes mine didn't. I've had no regrets & have been very happy with the results. My MD is great
My implants had already been replaced a couple of times by the time I went in for that last revision. Each time implants are replaced, the surgeon removes some older tissue surrounding the implant (dead tissue caused by the encapsulation, I assume). It's just part of a normal revision. By the time I had the last implant, I had very little original breast tissue left (I was very flat when I started out the first time). In order to "support" the newest implant, they had to add tissue. I needed 4 pieces of new tissue, 2 thick ones underneath the implant and 2 thin near the nipples. Adding the tissue was what took so long...and he explained that to me going in. It is a complicated surgery. He initially anticipated 4 hours, but it ended up being longer than he expected once he got in there and saw how little tissue I had left. Hopefully, since you are going for your first revision, you won't have to deal with those problems and it will take far less time. But that said, after 27 years, it is likely they will have to remove some old dead tissue. It will likely depend on how big you were to begin with. If you weren't flat as a board, like me, you will likely not need any added tissue. I had the drainage tubes and everyone I know who has gone thru this has had them...but it really is not a big deal. And trust me, I am very squimish at the sight of blood. Ugh! After you empty the bulbs once...it won't bother you as much as you might expect. Hope that helps answer your questions. Feel free to contact me if you think of anything else you might want to know. You are so lucky they lasted 27 years without issue. I'm sure the revision will go smoothly for you. Take care.
Making another appointment with GP here. I will find a way to see a Certified Surgeon who specials in breast implants. I did enjoy them. I also had a facelift and that lasted a very long time. I did not gain a huge amount of weight so it stayed well. I had a public speaking job. Bottom line. Looks do count.
Mine hurt all the time now. I am 71 & had them over 30 yrs. Some leak. You do encourage me. I live with someone who would broadcast my condition. It makes me sad.
Jasmine...so let him/her broadcast. Don't let it bother you. Since I had mine made smaller, I go around modeling my new "ta-tas" for everyone...with a big smile. If you make it "no big deal" then no one else will. I can't tell you how much better you will feel. I don't think I realized just how MUCH pain I was in until I had them taken out. Find yourself a good "reconstructive" surgeon and go for it. I'm only sorry I waited so long to do something about it. I could have been out of pain years ago. Good luck to you...