I Wish I Had Done This Sooner - San Francisco, CA

Embarrassment and discomfort. Those were the words...

Embarrassment and discomfort. Those were the words always associated with my extended, flappy labia. I was embarrassed in locker rooms, uncomfortable in clothes, and self-conscious with men. Every boyfriend I had, always commented on them. They thought their comments were "cute" -- I was mortified. When a girl gets undressed she shouldn't have something flapping between her legs, right? Although I knew that this was a normal genetic variation, I FELT abnormal. I felt this all through my 20s and my 30s. I felt this through my marriage and I felt this through my divorce. Suddenly, in my early 40s there was a prospect of getting naked once again with a new man and having to deal with my monster labia yet again.

Now this on top of greying hair and wrinkles and less-than-perky breasts? So I did my research on labiaplasty, and picked a doctor. I felt comfortable with my choice from the very beginning. First of all, just like I never liked going to male gynecologists, I preferred (strongly) a female physician for this surgery. This may not be a deciding factor for you, but for me it mattered. Second of all, Dr. R's credentials and recommendations were excellent. And, frankly, when all is said and done I hit the jackpot with her!

The experience was fantastic, from first consultation, the pre-operative instructions given, to the surgery itself and post-op follow-up. The discomfort was minimal. Ice and tylenol was all I needed for a couple of days. Then a topical antiseptic cream. Within 2 weeks most of the swelling was gone. By week 4 you could barely see the sutures. Now, a couple of months later the results are stellar! Why had I waited so long? My confidence level has skyrocketed. I look pretty down there, and I actually enjoy getting undressed now. In front of the mirror, mind you ;-) Can't wait to have a new man in my life now.

San Francisco Plastic Surgeon